It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Hot spots Yorkshire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hello all, I am writing to anyone who would know of prime UFO watching areas around the west Yorkshire region. Ideally no more than an hour by car from Leeds.
I am also keen to visit the Pennines...Are there any prime locations for a good night watch, ideally nearer to the Yorkshire Pennine area.
Your help will be most welcome........Thanks

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ilkley moor is a good place, a very famous incident tok place there. There has also been a recent sighting in Selby. The N Yorks moors near Menwith Hill is also quite a good spot

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I was going to say around Menwith hill, but stay away from the base itself, perhaps a mile or two away should be good, also if you travel the roads in the howarth area up on the moor is an old weather station, with satellite dishes etc, abandoned and easy to drive into, that is an excellent spot, i know a few people who go there maybe 5 or 6 times a year and have never been disappointed.

However in truth it is just luck and being in the right place at the right time, but around the pennine towns is ideal seems there is always something flying around up there.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hah.. Ilkley Moor and I have no hat to boot!
Yorkshire has always been a 'hotspot' ever since the third slightly
balding Charlton brother told that joke in the Saughtered Lamb.
You know the one!
There was an airplane over the Atlantic on it's way to New York.
It was full of Men from THE UNITED NATIONS, so half way
over the ocean the engines run low on petrol,
so they have to lighten the plane.

So they heave out all the baggage, but it's still to heavy!
So they chuck out the seats but it's still to heavy!
Finally this Froggy steps up and shouts 'Viva L a France!' and leaps out!

Then an Englishman... ... Steps up and shouts 'God Save the Queen!'
and leaps out. But the plane is still to heavy!
So the Yank deligate from TEXAS steps up and shouts 'Remember the Alamo!'
And chucks out the Mexican!

[edit on 2-4-2008 by IronMan]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yorkshire is a hot spot because of the radar array i live close to warton when im at home in preston (im working down south at the moment...) i would think that maybe Halo and other projects are tested around there to see if they show up on radar.... just a hunch

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I believe that most people in Yorkshire still point when planes go overhead, but I would say that as I'm from the other side of the Pennines.

Yorkshire is supposedly a great place to view UFOs from
Viewing is best where its quiet with little light pollution*, and theres plenty of places in Yorkshire like that.

As a footnote to my earlier poke at Yorkshire, here is an article I remember hearing about
Officially the dullest Geograph square in the UK

This photo was taken early morning December 1, 1987, on Ilkley Moor, West Yorkshire, England. Notice the length of the arms on the creature. The gentleman that took the photograph, police officer Alan Godfrey, said the alien appeared to be carrying a box of some sort.

*If youre finding light pollution still a problem then arsk ya da t'put oot his candle on 'is 'elmet

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Mark Roazhar]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mark Roazhar
I believe that most people in Yorkshire still point when planes go overhead,.......

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
ok ....as a Yorkshire man ...i will forgive the comments from across the border !!! lol

ok to the OP....try scammonden dam it is the UFO hotspot of the area.
also try the edge of Silsden / Ilkley area there is a lot of test flights of UAV`s going on right now until the 3rd of next month.

take care

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hey wizard if I was this guy I'd forget about Leeds and get myself down Derbyshire asap. Try Parsley Hay next to Arbor Low on the Buxton to Ashbourne road grab the torch and flash it three times towards the west. Anywhere in Derbyshire infact. Hotspot central.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eddiemaiden_80

Maybe a little out of your requested location but a great spot nonetheless is ...
oops, sorry I was just pointing at that plane flying overhead.
(nice one my friendly foe)!

The spot I'd recommend is 'The Hole of Horcum', nr Saltersgate ... off the moors road from Pickering to Whitby. Basically it's a bloody great crater type hole in the ground and it's pretty close to the Fylingdale EWS ... very, very strange place, certainly worth a looksee. I went up there with a friend to watch a meteor shower a few years ago and all I could hear in my head was the music out of 'Close Encounters'.

There was even a story in the local paper a couple of years back about armed-police shooting an ABC on the same stretch of road ... it's that kind of place !
So if you decide to visit be prepared for anything.

And just to put the record straight and prove that Yorkshire is not just flat, brown patches of earth take a look at the real Yorkshire countryside that I love ...

Woody

[edit on 3-4-2008 by woodwytch]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
well done woodwytch, cool post

any reports from around the Rosedale area ??

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I had a similar thread not so long ago and invited people from ATS out for a night skywatching in Yorkshire. Many and Many were up for it but sadly when the day came they all changed their mind (As if i was an axe murderer)

Seriously be amazed when you type in "Todmorden UFO" into your search engine. Tod is a definite hotspot and also for abductions. There is also an observatory up on hills above Tod which is obviosly in an area with no light polution. Crystal clear skys on a clear night

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Dammit 'Saint',

I missed that thread ... I would have been there with bells on if I'd read it !!!

If you ever plan another event u2u me the details in case I miss it again ... I don't mind if you're an axe-murderer if you don't mind that I'm a witch

Woody

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I concur with all the others/

There is a place near Burnsall called Trollers Gill.

It's a wierd place in daylight - a long ravine - at night - it has rumours from middle ages of the barguest - a large dog with saucer eyes (aka hound of the baskervilles).

If the UFOs don't get you, keep yur eyes open for the hound

Happy hunting

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hey Snoopy how goes it ?

Can't say I've heard anything specific about Rosedale ... do you know the area ? The first picture I posted was from Blakey Ridge, looking down over Rosedale (that's the spot where I watched the 1999 total eclipse from).

The other shot was of Mallyan Spout nr Goathland ('Heartbeat Country', as they say ... 'they' being the people who don't live in North Yorkshire).

I've personally seen some weird stuff in the skies over Wheeldale Moors (that's one of my regular spots), but I couldn't swear that they were UFO's.

I think the reason that there are so many sightings up on the moors is the fact that there's no light pollution ... such a fantastic place !

I found a couple of links of UFO sightings reported on the moors (particularly North York Moors);

1/ 28th April 1998 - RAF admits being buzzed by 24,000mph Triangular UFO over the North Sea ... Fylingdale were asked to track it with their radar equipment (link) ...

www.unknowncountry.com...

2/ 25 people camping on the moors witnessed a metallic ball on Yorkshire Moors (link) ...

www.nuforc.org...

Alternatively just type 'UFO sightings on the North Yorkshire Moors' into google and you'll find pages of links.

Good to see you (so to speak), it's been a while. Woody

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Hi there Woodwytch,

yes all is good with me, working hard ..

have you got your new site up yet ??

i know most of the area well as i am originally from there,plus i still get up that way both camping and with work,
as i posted earlier i get up that way a lot with work as QinetiQ has a lot of places up that way .
last time i was at Rosedale we saw a ball of light cross the `bowl` shaped valley. we were sat up on the old rail track up near the mines.

do you know the area further north ? Gt Ayton area ?

def good to hear from you again, i am moving to portugal in August to retire (early), we are buying an old vineyard , hopefully going to live an nice eco-lifestyle....keep in touch...

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hi Snoopy,
Jeez I envy you, a vinyard in Portugal sounds fantastic ... let me know if you'e ever open for visitors.

Don't know Gt Ayton very well but Wheeldale/Danby/Rosedale (used to go up there when they had the muic festivals at 'The Coachouse')/and all the moors from Kirkbymoorside to Whitby are my usual haunts.

The weirdest (and creepiest) thing I've ever seen on the moors was about 5 maybe 6 yrs ago ... but couldn't say it was UFO or even Alien related ... in fact I don't have a clue what the hell it was.

A couple of friends and myself were travelling along the moors road mentioned in an earlier post of mine. We were just taking the very tight U bend that goes down a steep bank from the ridge of 'The Hole of Horcum' and swings passed 'The Saltersgate Inn'. Right at the point of no return on the bend, we all noticed this 'thing' standing on the roadside (no more than 3ft away from the car as we passed). We only saw it for about 3-4 seconds because after that we'd gone around the bend and it was out of sight.

The 'thing' in question was about 10ft - 12ft tall and appeared to be covered head to foot in grey, wispy rags (that were blowing in the wind). Now the three of us have seen many weird and wonderful things on our late night jaunts and none of us are easily spooked (how many women do you know who go up on the moors alone at daft'o'clock to celebrate a Witches Sabbat?

But this 'thing' definately gave us a sense of foreboding. It seemed to be looking directly into the car at us. A little further along the road we decided to turn around and take another look, feeling sure there must be some rational explanation and laughing at ourselves for being 'fluffy girls' instead of the fearless, 'bad-ass witches' we really are.

Now, it took us maybe a minute and a half to turn the car around and retrace our tracks to reach the spot where we'd seen this 'thing' but there was no sign of it. We got out of the car and nothing ... ziltch ... not even a shred of one of it's rags. To be truthful, this was probably the scariest moment. If anyone knows the area you'll know that it is in total isolation except for the Inn ... but it couldn't have been anyone from there playing a trick on any unsuspecting motorist that happened to pass, because (a) it was about 1am and the Inn was long closed (b) the Inn was in sight at all times when we turned around and there was definately no-one about. I've been along that same road dozens of times since and never seen it again.

I can honestly say this is one of the few times in my life that I've ever felt true fear as a result of the paranormal ... certainly got the old adrenalin surging.

Just on the off-chance ... has anyone else ever seen anything similar ?

So as not to derail the thread you can u2u me if anyone has any info about this.

Thanks Woody

new topics

top topics

join