It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recruitment Drive as Mentally Ill Teachers asked back to School!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Recruitment Drive as Mentally Ill Teachers asked back to School!

www.timesonline.co.uk

Letters from the Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA), the main schools recruitment body, have been sent to teachers who have left the profession, including those who have retired on the ground of ill health. Describing teaching as “great fun”, the letters boast that teachers now earn more and work less hard.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Wow...This is another one of those news bits that leaves me almost speechless. What's going to happen if one of these teachers goes berserk and does something tragic, either to themselves or the children they're teaching?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Mental illness could cover anything from depression to pedophilia. It's nice to see they have the best interests of the children at heart..

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm glad to see mental illness becoming less stigmatized. I don't think there's that much danger of one of them harming the children so much as just behaving oddly and saying things that might be disconnected. I'm all for the idea, but practically speaking I don't know if I'd want a child of mine in such a classroom.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I thought you had to be crazy in the first place, to want to teach kids. Many mental illnesses are temporary - like the Mr. Illingworth in the article, who left from workplace stress. He could be better now.

I am not with the people who spread the word that a mental illness makes killers and rapists. I believe that most of the real dangerous crazies that do that, they never get diagnosed. It's a pain when there is prejudice based on a diagnosis. If one doesn't go around saying the prejudice that all people with AIDS are gay, so don't go around and say that all people with a mental illness are dangerous and criminals. Mental crime is a step away from thoughtcrime, and when you have bought into the idea that mentally ill people are criminals, you are already loving Big Brother.

Letters have been sent, meaning they are inviting, but there is still the acceptance process. There is still the job qualification process. I seriously doubt they will hire the pedophiles, on the grounds of conflict of interest. And with the way the UK is going with surveillance, there should be cameras in the classrooms soon, so Mr. Mental Illness will be watched.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lnaphx

As long as they're screening applicants for clean bills of health mentally, there's not a problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
That is one way they could go. So, while people are pointing fingers at the teachers with bipolar and major depression, not exactly shizophrenia or pedophilia, playing therapist and figuring that diagnosis equals criminal, Mr. Normal Teacher works behind the scenes, ruining some kids for life. Keep both eyes open.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here in the US, we often reserve the term mental illness to the psychoses, but in fact the term is not misapplied to those who have everything from developmental delays to dementias, to mania and depression, to anxiety disorders, to personality disorders.

Of those listed, I'd consider those with psychotic disorders and certain personality disorders to be the least desirable for the teaching professions.

Most of those with affective disorders are quite treatable and often these conditions are transient to begin with.

As someone stated, if these individuals are evaluated on a case by case basis, many are likely to be fit for duty.

If Mr. Illingworth is so disturbed by receiving a simple letter, he is probably not well enough to return to teaching.

Is it just a coincidence that the Teachers' Union is called NUT?

top topics

join