It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man declared dead, says he feels pretty good.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Man declared dead, says he feels pretty good.

www.cnn.com

Zach Dunlap says he feels \"pretty good,\" four months after he was declared brain dead and doctors were about to remove his organs for transplant.

Dunlap was pronounced dead November 19 at United Regional Healthcare System in Wichita Falls, Texas, after he was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident. His family approved having his organs harvested.

As family members were paying their last respects, he moved his foot and hand. He reacted to a pocketknife scraped across his foot and to pr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
His parents and loved ones must be overjoyed. I wander how often something like this happens? I wander what even happend?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I used to fill out the organ donor registration on my license like clockwork until I started hearing about stories like this one.

My mother didn't even have a donor card, and they asked us permission to harvest her organs as soon as she was pronounced dead. We told them flat out No! They were like vultures waiting to pick over her bones.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have to keep myself from blasting out expletives and the vilest form of vitriol here because I have one of the worst cases of "I hate the medical community' disease known to man.

These ghouls try to convince everyone - you should be a donor, you should give the gift of life! - but they don't tell you just how rich they get doing it. They make you feel like a criminal for not obliging the doctors who are soooo very eager to get at your vitals, when the truth is, they are anything but the scientists they pretend to be. They can't promise you anything, but they drool at the prospect of another 100K dollar transplant.

This is just one example, I wonder how many families have given up their loved ones for the medical dark harvest not realizing the patient wasn't brain dead at all, or could have recovered given the appropriate care.

The AMA has trained us not to question the doctors, for we are all feeble in comparison to them. They kill tens of thousands every year, and only the grossest criminals ever get punished for their barbaric practices. The others are all protected at every turn by one of the most powerful lobbies in the country.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is just like a Monty Python sketch.

ANNOUNCER:
The Meaning of Life: Part Five: Live Organ Transplants.
[ding dong]
MR. BROWN:
[cough] Don't worry, dear! I'll get it! [cough]
[ding dong ding dong]
[ding dong ding dong]
MR. BROWN:
Yes?
MAN:
Hello. Uhh, can we have your liver?
MR. BROWN:
My what?
MAN:
Your liver. It's a large, ehh, glandular organ in your abdomen.
ERIC:
[sniff]
MAN:
You know, it's, uh,-- it's reddish-brown. It's sort of, uhh,--
MR. BROWN:
Yeah,-- y-- y-- yeah, I know what it is, but... I'm using it, eh.
ERIC:
Come on, sir.
MR. BROWN:
Hey! Hey! Stop!
ERIC:
Don't muck us about.
MR. BROWN:
Stop! Hey! Hey! Stop it. Hey!
MAN:
Hallo.
MR. BROWN:
Ge-- get off.
MAN:
What's this, then? Mmh.
MR. BROWN:
A liver donor's card.
MAN:
Need we say more?
ERIC:
No!
MR. BROWN:
Listen! I can't give it to you now. It says, 'in the event of death'. Uh. Oh! Ah. Ah. Eh.
MAN:
No one who has ever had their liver taken out by us has survived.
MR. BROWN:
Agh.
ERIC:
Just lie there, sir. It won't take a minute.
MR. BROWN:
[screaming]
MAN:
Zip it up.
MR. BROWN:
[screaming]

Or.....

CART MASTER:
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
CUSTOMER:
Here's one.
CART MASTER:
Ninepence.
DEAD PERSON:
I'm not dead!
CART MASTER:
What?
CUSTOMER:
Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
DEAD PERSON:
I'm not dead!
CART MASTER:
'Ere. He says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER:
Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON:
I'm not!
CART MASTER:
He isn't?
CUSTOMER:
Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
DEAD PERSON:
I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER:
No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.
CART MASTER:
Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
DEAD PERSON:
I don't want to go on the cart!
CUSTOMER:
Oh, don't be such a baby.
CART MASTER:
I can't take him.
DEAD PERSON:
I feel fine!
CUSTOMER:
Well, do us a favour.
CART MASTER:
I can't.
CUSTOMER:
Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
CART MASTER:
No, I've got to go to the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
CUSTOMER:
Well, when's your next round?
CART MASTER:
Thursday.
DEAD PERSON:
I think I'll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER:
You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: [singing]
I feel happy. I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER:
Ah, thanks very much.
CART MASTER:
Not at all. See you on Thursday.

I can't help but laugh at this situation.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I agree with what you're saying. They also don't tell you that you're gift of life doesn't always go to the most needy on the transplant list, but the ones who are able to put up a sizeable deposit for the surgery.

It's not a charity, it's a business like everything else nowadays.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's incidents like this that keep me from signing my organs over for donation. If everyone did like me, though, the medical profession would be in a fix and many people who could have benefited would be left in the cold. There's just something creepy about the whole process that makes me want to avoid it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm an organ donor, blood donor, and on the bone marrow registry. I would hope if I, or any of my children or immediate family ever needed a transplant, that there would be someone there for us...I could give a sh*t less what the doctor makes as long as he was able to save myself or my family members.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129
I'm an organ donor, blood donor, and on the bone marrow registry. I would hope if I, or any of my children or immediate family ever needed a transplant, that there would be someone there for us...I could give a sh*t less what the doctor makes as long as he was able to save myself or my family members.

Michelle
Michelle,

I hear what you're saying, but if you don't have the money or right insurance, it will never happen.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I used to fill out the organ donor registration on my license like clockwork until I started hearing about stories like this one.

My mother didn't even have a donor card, and they asked us permission to harvest her organs as soon as she was pronounced dead. We told them flat out No! They were like vultures waiting to pick over her bones.

Wow, these stories are news to me, good info to know!

Yikes!

[edit on 053131p://24u56 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Uniceft17 thanks for posting this. I love articles about people coming back from the dead!
The title of the article is great too

Dunlap said one thing he does remember is hearing the doctors pronounce him dead.

"I'm glad I couldn't get up and do what I wanted to do," he said.

Pretty hilarious hehe.

I just love hearing stories like this cuz it really makes you ponder the brains relationship to consciousness.

His father, Doug, said he saw the results of the brain scan.

"There was no activity at all, no blood flow at all."

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
"to the non donors"

Tis why i say you should have to be a registered donor to get a donation . I don't mind people not want to give up there organs . As long as they don't get one of mine when I'm gone .. It will definitely be a stipulation left along with my organs. They must go to the poorest and a registered donor them selfs.

The story is touching . Good that he "came out of it" . I hope they can run tests and maybe figure out why tho. His brain must have shut down for a while . Kinda interesting if you think about it . There had to be less than 18% (activity) i believe to be pronounced dead . I*f they can figure it out . Hopefully they can help more people in this situation .

apc

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The brain can pull some strange tricks.

As far as not being a donor because the donation might go to someone less deserving than someone else... two wrongs don't make a right. If you don't need that kidney anymore, there's no harm in giving it to someone else. If you're dead you're not really going to care who it goes to. Of course you could always include a rider on a DNR or something like that... will yourself out piece by piece. "I want my heart to go to a child. I want my liver to go to... a different child. Kidneys... to another child... each." Hell they'll get the most use out of em, right?

But this does highlight the need to reexamine the state of brain death. Somewhere something was missed in this case. Or just not looked at close enough.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Uniceft17 thanks for posting this. I love articles about people coming back from the dead!
The title of the article is great too

Dunlap said one thing he does remember is hearing the doctors pronounce him dead.

"I'm glad I couldn't get up and do what I wanted to do," he said.

Pretty hilarious hehe.

I just love hearing stories like this cuz it really makes you ponder the brains relationship to consciousness.

His father, Doug, said he saw the results of the brain scan.

"There was no activity at all, no blood flow at all."

That was the part that surprised me most, lol.
I figured people would be talking more about that part than the organ donor part.

Or atleast that's what caught my attention.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
"I want my heart to go to a child. I want my liver to go to... a different child. Kidneys... to another child... each." Hell they'll get the most use out of em, right?

Oh that's interesting, I didn't know it worked that way. I don't know much about the organ donor process at all actually heh. I think it's great you can specify it like that.

Kinda OT, but what do you feel about cryogenics or other technologies to perserve the body/brain post-death, APC? Selfish?

But this does highlight the need to reexamine the state of brain death. Somewhere something was missed in this case. Or just not looked at close enough.

Yeah i'd love to see more details on that aspect.

In the article the father says the brain had zero activity and blood flow. Interesting thing to say. Did he see that himself? Was he told that? Did the bio and neuro-feedback just appear that way due to software or tech limitations?

[edit on 063131p://24u11 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I may have read that people thought to be dead used to be placed in the earth with a bell tied to a toe which would ring outside and the cemetary security would alert the doctor!!!

Then they started EMBALMING which of course,
, ensures that you ARE DEAD.

I wonder if there's a way to ask not to be embalmed? I'd take that option.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What about those declared dead and then buried 'alive', who wakes up in the coffin. Some of those stories are more than urban myth. Schratch marks have been found inside coffins in cases where for some reason they dug up 'deceased'.

Medical history from 19th and early 20th century are full of such stories.

A famous Danish writer, Hans Christian Andersen always carried a note on him saying: "I am not dead, only apparently dead."

At least when they have harvested the organs they are sure the donor is dead.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I may have read that people thought to be dead used to be placed in the earth with a bell tied to a toe which would ring outside and the cemetary security would alert the doctor!!!

Hah!

That's crazy! lmao. I can only imagine actually being there when something like that took place. For the doctor or the undead man! nuts.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
I know that by the embalming process they make damn sure you dead.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
What about those declared dead and then buried 'alive', who wakes up in the coffin. Some of those stories are more than urban myth. Schratch marks have been found inside coffins in cases where for some reason they dug up 'deceased'.

Medical history from 19th and early 20th century are full of such stories.

A famous Danish writer, Hans Christian Andersen always carried a note on him saying: "I am not dead, only apparently dead."

At least when they have harvested the organs they are sure the donor is dead.

I've also heard of this, I remember watching a show I believe it was on the Discovery channel or Discovery science about an old woman who would just drop 'dead' during regular activities, she woke up in a morg three different times and just walked out. I'm going to have to go digging for some info on this lady. If I find anything which i'm sure I will, I will post it later.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join