It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter sermon at Obama's church addresses Wright controversy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

A lot of people think ANY black church is racist, just by virtue of its addressing a predominantly African American community. I see nothing whatever wrong with the "black values" espoused by Trinity even though I'm caucasian. They seem to me values that most anyone could accept.

I don't think the black churches are particularly interested in white people at all, they're mostly concerned with uplifting their own community. It seems we whites can't stand to be left out of anything, so we scream "racist." I have, however, read that Trinity has welcomed whites whenever they have gone to church there.

It's a comment on our society that, at a time when many other institutions are integrating, our churches still remain mostly segregated. I think many churches just haven't responded adequately to the needs of people of color.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

We have congregationalists at our church that are black as well. My church unfortunately doesn't have a White Value System since it would probably be taken out of context and construed as racist by those less enlightened.

I'm not racist, but I do get tired of it being generally applied to me due to the color of my skin. Because I disagree with someone's viewpoints doesn't make me a racist. It means I have a differing opinion. Try to open up your mind to other peoples perspectives ocassionally. We all have feelings..

[edit on 3/24/08 by LLoyd45]

<< 1   >>

join