It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easter sermon at Obama's church addresses Wright controversy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Easter sermon at Obama's church addresses Wright controversy

politicalticker.blogs.cnn. com

CHICAGO (AP) — The new pastor of Barack Obama's Chicago church said during Easter Sunday services that recent national scrutiny of the church is a test that will only make the congregation stronger.

"Any time you go through a crucifixion experience … eventually they have to lift you up," said the Rev. Otis Moss III, who did not shy away from the controversy surrounding his predecessor at Trinity United Church of Christ, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr.

Wright retired from Trinity's pulpit last month but retains the title of senior pastor. Video from some of his more inflammatory sermons has surfaced online and on television in recent weeks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Obama's church obviously intends to be controversial to the end. Personally if I didn't agree with th viewpoints expressed by Reverend Wright or the Church, I'd distance myself.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That Church is nuttier than a box of brazils - slow roasted and basted with liquified manure.

I'm glad this whole controversial mess happened though really because at least in some small way, it's opening this country's eyes to see how much bigotry and racism exists (and has always existed) within the black community.

The concept that racism is a quality that's partial to white people, is about as archaic and dried up as Brontosaurus bones.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The timing of this "news" has a me baffled. Obama is in a place that he or the witch can't clearly be nominated, outright. It's still primary season.

For the Republicans, timing would have been better towards summers as it's closer to the election. For Obama, the time is okayas it really doesn't hurt him that bad. The witch should have released it before super tuesday.

I just wonder who really sat on this video this long, someone had to know.

As for there church, they can say what they want. I'd look at their tax exempt status with some of the politically charged sermons or if they happen to make an endorsement.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachelor

They certainly aren't doing anything to help Obama's campaign. I was reading a little more about the Easter Service, and the new Rev. doesn't sound any less opionated than Wright was. I found his comparison of the Rev. Wright to Jesus offensive. Are they honestly seeking to elevate this man to God-like status for publicly voicing his anti-American and bigoted remarks?

Source

In a sunrise Easter sermon, Rev. Otis Moss III never mentioned Wright by name, but implied that his mentor, who has delivered sermons in which he likened the U.S. to the Ku Klux Klan and declared it damned for its “state-sponsored terrorism,” is facing the same challenges Jesus did.”No one should start a ministry with lynching, no one should end their ministry with lynching,” Moss said.

[edit on 3/24/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It time to revoke the Tax-Exempt status for any church that talks about politics.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If they revoke this church's tax exempt status, they're going to have to do the same to just about every fundamentalist church in the country too, since they talk about politics constantly...

Somehow I don't think that will go over too well...

The "Obama church controversy" is brought to you by the same kind of underhanded political operators who brought you Swift Vets for Truth and McCain's "black child born out of wedlock"

And, again, I've never yet been able to get anyone to point out any specific thing Rev. Wright said that's "racist"

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Honestyly, my greatest fear about Obama's membership with this church is it's possible influence upon him should he win the presidency. A person cannot sit and listen for 20 years to anti-American, anti-white rhetoric without it having some impact on their outlook. If you look at the church's page on the Black Value System, items 11 and 12 are really disturbing.

I hope he doesn't plan to pledge his allegiance to the likes of Rev. Wright or Al Sharpton.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I guess his fellow pasture is lying when he say his mentor likened the U.S to the KKK. That doesn't smack of racism to you? This is a comment from one of his own self-acknowledged disciples.

In a sunrise Easter sermon, Rev. Otis Moss III never mentioned Wright by name, but implied that his mentor, who has delivered sermons in which he likened the U.S. to the Ku Klux Klan

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Again, could I see the "anti-white rhetoric" please?

I've been trying to get a straight reply to this question for weeks, and haven't seen one yet

Saying that whites have historically oppressed blacks in this country is not "anti white racism" - it's historical fact.

That doesn't smack of racism to you?

No, that smacks of reality.
I guess it's not PC to mention slavery, lynchings, the KKK, Jim Crow, etc

[edit on 3/24/08 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Here's a small sample of one of his racially imflammatory monologues which I guess even Obama seen as incendiary:

Source

Clips aired through the week show Wright shouting that 'Hillary never had a cab whiz by her and never pick her up because her skin was the wrong colour' and that 'Hillary ain't never been called a 'n-word'.'

Wright, a leading national religious leader in the African American community, also stirred controversy by saying the song God Bless America should be sung God Damn America because 'rich white people' rule the country.

After several days of questions about his relationship to Wright, Obama late Friday removed him from a committee of religious advisors to his campaign and gave interviews to distance himself from the man.

Obama said he did not hear any of Wright's incendiary remarks at the church he has attended for 20 years, and he only learned about them when he launched his campaign for president.

'These are a series of incendiary statements that I can't object to strongly enough,' Obama told CNN.

Or here's another from the same source:

Wright, a leading national religious leader in the African American community, also stirred controversy by saying the song God Bless America should be sung God Damn America because 'rich white people' rule the country.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
People like xmotex are the reason that Bill O's "Don't be a pinhead" shirts are selling like crazy...

Honestly, anyone that can't see the blatant racism and bigotry in Wright's comments, is severely ignorant.

Sheesh...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And as far as that "Black Values System" thingy or whatever that was mentioned... any person or group of persons that specifically promotes the advancement, privileges, rights, cause, creed, etc. of a particular specific race... is by default, racist.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

Here's a small sample of one of his racially imflammatory monologues which I guess even Obama seen as incendiary:

Clips aired through the week show Wright shouting that 'Hillary never had a cab whiz by her and never pick her up because her skin was the wrong colour' and that 'Hillary ain't never been called a 'n-word'.'

Has Hillary ever been callled a "'n-word'"? Probably not.

So you're saying this country isn't run mostly by rich white people?
Have you been living under a rock? Look around you...

Sure, Wright is incendiary, uses hyperbole like is was going out of style, etc... pretty much what you expect from a fire & brimstone preacher.

Racist?

Like I say, come up with something where Wright implies whites are racially inferior or inherently evil, etc., and I'll be glad to condemn him as a 'racist"...

Pointing out that whites have historically screwed over blacks in this country, or even that blacks still get the short end of the stick isn't racist, no matter how much you'd like to pretend it it is...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Again, could I see the "anti-white rhetoric" please?

I've been trying to get a straight reply to this question for weeks, and haven't seen one yet

Well, there's your straight answer, but I guess you didn't like it..

Saying that whites have historically oppressed blacks in this country is not "anti white racism" - it's historical fact.

The only thing you forget to mention are "Freed" Blacks were among some of the largest slaveholders in the country.

No, that smacks of reality.
I guess it's not PC to mention slavery, lynchings, the KKK, Jim Crow, etc
No it speaks of a dual standard. For a white person to use them in the same context as Rev. Wright would not be politically correct.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just so you know most of his ranting and yelling were tapes played by the media- not all the way through. The hiroshima, chickens coming to roost, etc. Wright was quoting a United States Diplomat.

The 'god damn' america comment was also played out of context.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Contrary to popular belief, ALL white people are not rich as Wright likes to imply. Obama must have a substantial share of the wealth himself, or he couldn't afford to run for office.

You call it hyperbole, but I think most people can see it for what it is bigotry.

I don't know if she's been called the N-word or not, and neither do you. The term is also used to mean an "ignorant or shiftless person" by the way.

If you can't see the racism, then open your eyes.. Obama himself acknowledged it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
Just so you know most of his ranting and yelling were tapes played by the media- not all the way through. The hiroshima, chickens coming to roost, etc. Wright was quoting a United States Diplomat.

The 'god damn' america comment was also played out of context.

www.youtube.com...

I hear the phrase out of context so much. Perhaps he should accept one of those interviews that have been repeatedly offered to him by the media and explain them "in context" for the American public. Why does he keep dodging them? I'd like to hear his side of it with the tapes present to refute his claims.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Well, there's your straight answer, but I guess you didn't like it.

Well it's not a straight answer, it's a steaming pile of BS.
So no, I don't like it

For those saying "black pride" slogans & programs are racist, I guess you feel the same way about white ethnic groups' celebrations and organizations?

Irish American pride is racist, Italian American pride is racist, etc?

Columbus Day, St. Patricks's Day, Casimir Pulaski Day - all racist celebrations I guess?

Contrary to popular belief, ALL white people are not rich as Wright likes to imply.

Saying "the rich and powerful are mostly white people" (a FACT) is NOT the same as saying "most white people are rich and powerful" (NOT a FACT) by any stretch of the imagination...

[edit on 3/24/08 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Well it's not a straight answer, it's a steaming pile of BS.
So no, I don't like it
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled too it, even if you're wrong.

For those saying "black pride" slogans & programs are racist, I guess you feel the same way about white ethnic groups' celebrations and organizations?

Irish American pride is racist, Italian American pride is racist, etc?

Columbus Day, St. Patricks's Day, Casimir Pulaski Day - all racist celebrations I guess?
How are they any more racist than Martin Luther king Day or Black History month? How would you feel about a White History month? Or how about an NAAWP?

Saying "the rich and powerful are mostly white people" (a FACT) is NOT the same as saying "most white people are rich and powerful" (NOT a FACT) by any stretch of the imagination...
How is it a fact? Because you say so?What about Oprah Winfrey, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, and Michael Jordan? I guess they're white..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join