It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States urged to comply with ID Rule

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Has anyone received one these licenses yet? My husband's Nevada license expired so last month he got his Texas license. Guess what? There is NO RFID chip on it. I know what these chips look like, because we had to have them at work to get computer access.

So when do the new linceses start?

apc

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing that out darkelf. The Real ID currently has no RFID.

Just get a new passport for the time being. It meets the requirements and is legal identification. You don't have to carry it around everywhere so your state DL is fine for daily carry until it expires. But at that point... well... it might be time to move to New Hampshire.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So lets say you get the ID and remove the "chip"... What are they going to do? Put you in jail? What is the Real ID technology?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Viva la revolucion! Seriously. This has gotten way out of hand. The federal govt has way too much power, and bush is only making it worse. Too bad the states won't stand up for themselves. Just imagine what the head of DHS and bush would do if all the states said NO to this.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here's a link to the Department of Homeland Security regarding the REAL ID.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Here in Australia several weeks ago the government scrapped the new RFID CHIP ID CARDS. SO FAR SO GOOD LOOKS LIKE AMERICA AND OTHER UNKNOWN COUNTRYS WILL BE BRINGING FORTH THE NEW REAL ID' CARDS. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR SOULS.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
You wanna pat me down and possibly strip search me because of an ID thats fine. I will just show up an extra hour early.

PS. That extra hour represents 2 middle fingers to the Dept of Homeland Security.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
Maine, New Hampshire and South Carolina have until March 31 to say whether they plan to comply with the law, which they say is costly and will inconvenience residents by forcing them to get new licenses.

If the states don't comply, the Homeland Security Department will bar travelers from using those state's licenses and ID cards to board airplanes starting May 11.

Can you imagine how long it would take to get a new license now if everyone in the state needed a new one?
Are people going to have to get licenses to fly as a passenger?

FREEDOM

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I checked the REAL ID act of 2005

These are the minimum requirements for acceptance:

(1) The person's full legal name.

(2) The person's date of birth.

(3) The person's gender.

(4) The person's driver's license or identification card number.

(5) A digital photograph of the person.

(6) The person's address of principle residence.

(7) The person's signature.

(8) Physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.

(9) A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements.

This doesn't seem that unreasonable. My ID has had this stuff for many years. Make me wonder what the substandard IDs look like.

Edit:

(1) IN GENERAL- Beginning 3 years after the date of the enactment of this division, a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a State to any person unless the State is meeting the requirements of this section

[edit on 3/24/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've been following this story for a few years now. I thought that these links and a sort of timeline of the issue of new IDs might be helpful. Essentially, beginning in May of this year (2008,) citizens will be required to have IDs or driver's licenses which meet Real ID federal standards, or they will not be allowed to board planes, enter federal buildings, or make use of other services or locations covered under the act and the DHS's authority. States can request more time, but by 2013 everyone must be in compliance.

October 31, 2001:
"Americans mull national ID cards" following 9-11 attacks

November 13, 2002:
"Operation TIPS" and "National ID" are both "rejected by congress"

December 8, 2004:
"Senate Oks Intelligence Overhaul bill" requiring new federal standards for DMV IDs and licenses

May 2005:
Real ID Act is passed, raising logistical and other concerns (Aug 2005 CNN article discussing Real ID challenges: "The Real ID Act is a Real Mess."

"FAQ: How Real ID will affect you"

October 11, 2006:
"Real ID's Real Problems." (Article detailing privacy, logistical, and cost challenges.)

March 2007:
The Department of Homeland Security lays out Real ID implementation standards for states, including the recommendation that states utilize PDF-417 2D bar codes (not RFID tags as frequently reported and speculated about.)

May 2007:
Legislation is introduced to repeal the Real ID Act (presumably it did not get passed.)

August 16, 2007:
Federal ID plan raises privacy concerns

Needless to say, I'll be adding the article linked to in this thread's OP to the list.

(Edited for clarity.)

[edit on 3/24/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
"I live in Canada and won't travel to the U.S. for many reasons.This whole "ID,papers and passports please" leaves a sour taste in my mouth."

If North American, become the North American Union, you will also have to have and ID card. The card will likely go through upgrades after version 1.0.

How would like to be tracked by satellite, much like new vehicles are now using OnStar? The chp potentially paves the way for that .

How do you get alot of people to accept their freedoms being slowly taken away to potentially form a Union under one set of laws? Can you say terrorism? What terrorism? Doesn't anyone find it odd that there hasn't been any real 'good' attempts in attacking the US, yet all these securities need to be in place to prevent them (though there has been no attacks or major problems with in years)?

The US should stay the US and if there are intentions of forming an NAU, then that shouldn't happen without popular vote by the people and through Congress.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
i hate RFID in cards.....s'why i got one of these

www.thinkgeek.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I checked the REAL ID act of 2005

These are the minimum requirements for acceptance:

(1) The person's full legal name.

(2) The person's date of birth.

(3) The person's gender.

(4) The person's driver's license or identification card number.

(5) A digital photograph of the person.

(6) The person's address of principle residence.

(7) The person's signature.

(8) Physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.

(9) A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements.

This doesn't seem that unreasonable. My ID has had this stuff for many years. Make me wonder what the substandard IDs look like.

I'm sorry to quote almost your entire post, however I wanted to for it to be a baseline..for the Real ID, at least in NJ, NY, and PA the requirements are FAR more stringent than this...as an example, for myself to get my current drivers license I had to (underscoring HAD TO) provide the following:

Birth Certificate or Passport (to establish primary citizenship)

A Current Bill (to establish current residence validity)

My Firearms Purchase Permit (among others as a secondary means of identification)

My Old Drivers license (to determine actual ability to operate a motor vehicle; imagine that?? They still check for that too??)

These are not all the items asked for, just the items that are the most intrusive ... and THINK of just how all of that could not only be used against you, but to track you, to stifle you, and to impede your ability to reamin PRIVATE if you so choose... not just the Governmental level but at the corporate level too,everyone think these days that EVERYONE need to be transparent about EVERYTHING and able to be located on a MOMENTS notice when THEY want.... and yes, WE have allowed this to come to fruition...let us not yell at the FEDS for something we allowed...we created this robot, and only we can reprogam it

Just my $.02

AB1

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Haha...Gotta love it.

"Either you conform to your ultra-chipped-out ID cards, or you don't get to fly, you terrorists!"

Next up on the agenda---RFID implants!

Maybe they can ram through the shock-bracelets with the real IDs while they're at it.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

The Tryant Government at work.. Do as I say or else..
Looks like the time for that "Revolution" that everyone is talking about as when The Government says when and where and how you can travel that is going too far..

Whats next ? Will you need a passport to travel to another state or city?

Sounds Familiar, OH YEAH Hitler did the same thing in restricting travel just before he became dictator and started WWII.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by Nailer]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What about those who travel to the US? I am traveling by Greyhound from a town west of Toronto to Columbus Ohio on May 14th.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2008
What about those who travel to the US? I am traveling by Greyhound from a town west of Toronto to Columbus Ohio on May 14th.

I think they're talking about airline travel only.

Ground transportation would be whatever is required to cross border, which I believe now is a passport from CA to the US.

AB1

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

That is what is required of the ID. The documents you mentioned are for identifying yourself to have it issued.

I see your point but the idea is that you are who the ID says you are. A bit of a catch-22. Businesses check IDs to be sure you are who you say you are. IE: writing a check, banking, etc. I suppose if a person used only cash that could be bypassed. The ID is to prove who you are.

I can see the point of flying. Who cares who I am. I pay for a ticket, take me to my destination. I am not flying the plane. It's the bad people in the world who are making it difficult for the rest.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenVisage

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Screw flying . . . I have not flown in years.

I love driving . . . get to see scenery, etc.

I'm sure "they" love that you love driving too. I bet they hope you own an SUV and aren't a fan of hybrids either.

they can love it all they want... I drive on home brewed biodiesel... and I'm working on converting the truck to run on woodgas.

I don't fly either,

Sri Oracle

link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Screw flying . . . I have not flown in years.

I love driving . . . get to see scenery, etc.

Although this is a valid point, last time I checked it was hard to drive to places like Hawaii or Austraila!

link   
I find it to be no coincedence that the MSM just happens to print an article at the same time ostensibly exposing how unsafe you are from terrorists in the air but in actuality it's just more fear mongering foisted upon the state.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join