It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visual patterns (AKA "hallucinations")

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I've been interested in the visual patterns that appear "in" one's eyes under the influence of certain substances ever since I had the first such experience. (It was a perfectly OTC substance, not '___' or anything like that.)

I have visited many websites that propose explanations for it (including Erowid and this article which also links them to migraines - which in my case is BS, I've never had a migraine of any description in my life).

Some, as the article mentioned above (see the URL), explain them in mathematical terms, which makes sense , of course - up to a point.
But the purely physical/neural explanation proposed in the article does not account for the incredibly detailed Islamic floral patterns (!) that usually appear in front of my eyes. (How do I know they are "Islamic"? Because I am familiar with art history.)

Now, such patterns do not exist in my actual physical environment, nor do I spend much time contemplating them in books (the last time I studied them was a few years ago), or even thinking about them. And I'd like to stress, once again, that they are FLORAL - not geometric - patterns: incredibly detailed (and gorgeous) stylised floral patterns repeated many times (the effect is very similar to ceramic tiles).

Here is another article, but I'd prefer informed personal thoughts and comments, if there are any.

And another question: could - physically, I mean - the "mesh" or "net" patterns (I also saw those on several occasions) be caused by the net-like structure of the retina itself?
It doesn't seem very likely - the retina observing itself? - but I'd like to know for sure.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Bumping this up for the benefit of our American brethren who are 5-9 hours "behind" us...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I believe the Islamic designs are based on mathematics involved in Golden Geometry as well as the phosphenes or form constants.

On the crescent shaped form which occludes normal vision and is associated with migraines, I have them perhaps as often as twice a year, usually due to a state of extreme fatigue. My mother had migraines, and it could be I inhereted a tendency to the occlusions but not the migraines themselves.

The interest I have in these mild hallucinations has been a source of inspiration for much of the artwork I have done over my life and continues to this day.

There is also thread of mine on the subject, but comes at it from the perspective of the San rock art which can be found in South Africa and all the way up to the cave paintings in Chavuax, France. The title is Art, the Shaman and a Quantum Physicist and contained an unsuccessful attempt to find a connection to modern Physics.

It might be an interesting read for you, regardless.

cheers

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

You bet it'll be interesting - thanks!

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

In that case, you might also be interested in the artwork itself, especially on page 2 and 3 of my BTS thread Test Flight

I know I'm shamelessly plugging my threads here, but they are relevant to your excellent topic, Vanitas.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit more than merely plugging my work.

Star and a flag for you.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Ha, you got a star and a flag (in your thread - as if you needed another one
) yourself. That thread, the "old" one, is amazing. I hope more people get to notice it.

It's definitely an interesting subject, and I am glad I am able to discuss it here.

P.S. That is SOME painting!

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
DXM by any chance?

The type of psychoactive chemical you consume has quite a bit to do with the experience you get.
Some psychoactive chemicals produce geometric patterns, these are associated with weak chemicals (THC) and other stronger chemicals ('___') produce floral patterns that are much more detailed.

It all depends on the dose and strength of the chemical, and of course, the properties of the substance ingested that give it's unique experience.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Xeroxed_Horizon]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeroxed_Horizon

It was dimenhydrinate and diphenydrinate.

I know it produces varying, more or less intricate patterns (I've seen them
)... but HOW or WHY can it produce a floral pattern - i.e. an "organic" shape (with leaves, petals and all, but obviously stylised) - impossible to be mistaken for any other pattern, and so intricate it's a veritable work of art (literally - on tiles, that is ; ))? The same would go for the "brocade" pattern I've also seen on a number occasions.
That's the puzzling question that I am trying to find out.

top topics

join