It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 83: Serra vs. GSP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
In less than a month we're finally going to see the rematch between Matt Serra & Georges St-Pierre at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada. This is a match that needs very little hype and can market itself. As a longstanding MMA fan, I will be attending this event and I am really looking forward to it.

Here is a short clip that interviews the two fighters and discusses their previous match.

I know there are a few MMA fans on our board, and I'd love to hear some thoughts and opinions on the upcoming pay per view event.

A view from my seats... (just down from where this picture is taken)

[edit on 23-3-2008 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
On Paper, looks like GSP is a clear winner.

Also, he's fighting on his home turf and Serra is traveling.
Main thing, GSP shouldn't underestimate Serra and have a game plan to stay away and stall if he gets clipped again, rather then try to go right back into the fight.

.......... Matt Serra................................GSP
Record..... 9--4--0...............................Record..... 15--2--0
Height..... 5'6".................................... Height 5'10"
Weight..... 155lbs - 170lbs.................... Weight 169lbs
Age.... 33........................................... Age.... 26
Fights................................................Fights
..... 2007..... 1................................... 2007..... 3
..... 2006..... 1................................... 2006..... 2
..... 2005..... 1................................... 2005..... 4
..... 2004..... 2................................... 2004..... 3
..... 2003..... 1................................... 2003..... 2
..... 2002..... 2................................... 2002..... 3
..... 2001..... 2................................... 2001.....

last .......................................................last
5 fights..... 4 wins..... 1 loss..................... 5 fights..... 4 wins..... 1 loss

....................................Serra........................................ GSP
Com.....B.J. Penn........... Loss............................. Split decision..... win
Opps..... Ivan Menjivar..... Win - Decision.................. TKO - first round
........... Karo Parisyan..... Loss - Decision.................. Win - Decision

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
As much as I love Serra I have to go with GSP on the rematch.
He was taken by suprise last time but now he'll know what to expect.

In GSP's last fight with Matt Hughes he didn't just win..He TOTALLY detroyed him physically and mentally without even breaking a sweat.
I was kinda glad Serra was out of action.He will have watched that fight now.
You can bet he'll have stepped up his own training and will be in better condition for the match up.
But beat GSP's current physical condition??
He's the complete package now.Beating the master wrestler at his own game..WOWCHA!!.

It's gonna rock.:bash:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If GSP has a flaw, it's that he's so confident in his own abilities that he does not know how to backpedal and survive and cover up very well (compared to top guys like Nog).

In the fight where Serra won, if GSP had gone into the shell and kept out of range until he recovered, he could have pulled it together. Instead, he kept going back into his attacking game.

Remember how an older Muhammad Ali used to fight moving backwards and covering up? It almost looked like he was losing, then he'd pull it out of the fire and manage to win.

Now the 'flaw' is only going to show against the very best or when someone tags him, but if GSP has filled that 'hole' then he'll be fine. If not, Serra could catch him again.

2 cents.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

O boy!! Who wouldn't know Ali's 'rope a dope'?
The master of his craft..

I don't know if GSP would be so effective 'going backwards' though.. It's his audacity that psychologically defeats his opponents before you even talk about his conditioning when blows are exchanged..

He reminds me of Sugar Ray Leonard in sheer technical ability.Different sport of course though.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I agree on GSP, but imo, not many of the UFC fighters or cage fighters in general have the ability that many boxers have to be able to 'survive' being hit by fighing defensively until they recover.

In fact some guys who are very good at the attack, if the tide turns and they start getting G&P, they lose their composure. It's new territory for them, so being so good they've never had to practice it, have to learn that and then (hopefully) make a comeback.

I think GSP appreciates Serra's toughness and that he's dangerous. I just wonder if he's thought out a coping strategy in case he gets caught.

Sometimes styles make fights and Serra might just be a tough style for GSP. He's not intimidated. However I only give him a slight chance against the much more experienced GSP, which you can see looking at the record I posted above.

Serra hasn't fought much, and we still don't know if he's fully recovered from that back injury.

Having said that, I predict a short fight.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I think GSP is the best fighter in the UFC only even comparable to Anderson Silva. Outside of Silva, I don't think anyone comes within a country mile of his abilities. But because he is the "best" fighter, it doesn't mean that he will win any fights. Prior to the fight GSP may be better, but as any sports fan understands, it is all about who shows up on that day.

I'm scared that it's going to end early.. very early.

Both of these guys want to knock the other out of the ring.

If Serra were to knock GSP out again, it would solidify him as the undisputed welterweight champion of the world, and one of UFC's best. If GSP is to knock Serra out early, the previous fight will be solidified as the fluke it was and GSP will begin his reign of terror over this division.

Does anyone think that GSP vs. Silva (or even Penn) is possibly one of the biggest fights in the years to come? Bj Penn vs. GSP would happen first because Penn has already expressed interest in moving up and GSP still no reason to move up a weight class to "prove himself further" for another three or four fights.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Wow.. BJ Vs GPS.. Tough one to call..
I didn't like his arrogance after the Pulver rematch win..but I suppose adrenaline and the fact it was a long time coming may have contributed to that.

BJ Vs Serra I'd have to clearly give to Penn.
It's a dream match up for him.

Like you say, some styles are just so awkward while others are evenly matched.It's just NOT a case of good VS bad fighter.

I hated fighting smaller guys coz they're just so blumming awkward and tough to get inside or under their guard.
Taller guys or just bigger guys are a dream because you can punch upwards getting more leverage and spring off your legs,and you're nearly always faster on your feet than them too..

I always used to cry when they hit me though.. I mean.. they were just sooooo mean..

hehehe!

[edit on 24-3-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I don't think Silva vs St Pierre is a good match up.

Silva is at least 4" taller and is a natural 205lb-er who cuts to 185.
Height 6'2 (188cm)
Weight 185lbs (84kg)

GSP is a natural 170lb-er, who, though he could easily make 185, would not be at a good place going to 200-ish, then cutting down to 185 for the fight.

Though Silva is 36 to GSP's 26, I don't think age is a factor - he's just too much for a smaller opponent, and would easily outreach him.

Now give Silva another 3 years, when his ability starts to decline and GSP is even stronger (barring injuries to either) then it might be fun.

Basically, I think Silva would seriously injure anyone who walks around at under 180, in the fight game, even BJ. I don't think we've even seen Silva pull out all the stops.

edit: Though I don't think it likely, GSP's best bet is to challenge Silva to move down to 170 and fight him there.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Heyyy.. Anderson Silva was born same day as me.. wellwadddyaknow..

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
BJ Penn over GSP? Really?

I have a tough time appreciating Penn for the talent that he does possess, and maybe I'll have a little more respect for him after his upcoming fight with Sean Sherk. I was really hoping that Joe Stevenson was going to mop the octagon with him in his last fight.

A Penn vs. GSP fight, I'd go with GSP in a late round submission.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
BJ Penn over GSP? Really?

A Penn vs. GSP fight, I'd go with GSP in a late round submission.

Nope.. I agree with your assesment..

Penn over Serra.. yeah..
Just for his experience and Serra's style matches his strengths

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Ah, but don't forget that BJ has fought as a lt hvywt. He's fought in the most classes of any top ranked fighter (that I'm aware). Amazing when you think about it.

Point is, a successful foray into higher weights carries a lot of, uh, 'weight' as far as assessing how they will do. Though he didn't win against light heavyweight Lyoto Machida, he did last the full three rounds losing the decision.

Loss...Lyoto Machida...Decision(Unan)...K-1 - Hero's 1...3/26/2005...3rds...5:00min/rd

I think BJ could figure out a way to beat GSP, but the question is lack of real motivation. This last time was the only time BJ trained as he should have.

Right now, even moving up to 170, I don't think BJ has the motivation to get in the kind of shape and train the way he'd need to for GSP, though in a dream fight, it's well within his abilities to contend.

On Penn over Serra, again, it all comes down to desire. Penn would school the Renzo Gracie Black Belt Serra on the ground, on skill alone, but if Penn just catches rays and surfs for his fight training, then he'd probably gas and Serra, whose cardio is very good, would get a decision.

There last fight was pretty close, Serra lasting the full 3 rounds.
Win...Matt Serra...Decision (Unan.)...UFC 39 - The Warriors Return...9/27/02...3...5:00

Read up on Serra's training here:

Serra on his fight prep for Karo 'The Heat' Parisyan

Though he lost to Karo, who got his BB from Renzo also (after Serra), he worked hard and the interview is quite good.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

They already fought. GSP beat B.J. via split decision. I don't see B.J. getting subbed by GSP. His Jujitsu is just too good. And his rubber guard, the dude is like gumby with his flexibility. I wouldn't doubt him gassing again and losing another decision to GSP, though.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

A lot of people think that BJ won that fight. Look at their faces after the fight was over. BJ was unmarked.

Plus, BJ has the talent, he admitted that he normally didn't train that much going by talent, which is huge and pulled him through until the last couple years.

GSP's jits is close to BJ's ability, but I don't think GSP ever fought at the Mundials and BJ is a multi-title winner there. (one silver, one bronze and gold)

BJ is the first non-Brazilian to win the Gold medal in black belt division of the Mundial World Championships in 2000, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (source wiki)

Of course I realize that ground work when someone is punching you in the face is a little different, but BJ has one of the best MMA guards in the biz.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I think GSP is the best fighter in the UFC only even comparable to Anderson Silva.

Agreed. I think GSP will win by submission in the 2nd round.

On another note... Anderson Silva was recently in Seattle at my gym doing an MMA Seminar. I should have ponied up the cash... $125 to train with the best for 3 hrs.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think GSP will correct his previous mistakes and take it.

I do think Serra stands a better chance versus GSP than he does against Hughes though. I could be wrong, I've underestimated Serra before.

The thing is, Serra fights Hughes' style. Ground & pound, wrestling, and shooting for the take down are aspects of the game that Matt Hughes is legendary at, and I'm not sure that Serra could out-perform him on those aspects.

GSP, on the other hand, is amazingly well rounded. I do believe GSP will have trained to correct the mistakes he made in the previous match. I think GSP will keep this match on their feet and will wear Serra down with leg kicks.

We'll see though. Either way, it should be fun. I'm pullin for Serra.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Two weeks from today I fly to Montreal for the big event.

Hopefully I get in with my camera and I can take a bunch of pictures. Anything I can, I will definitely upload to our board for all of our MMA fighters to appreciate.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Man, you have really good seats. That is going to be awesome. I have never actually been to one of these fights but I would love to be there for one. Have fun! Can't wait to see those pics.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
No doubt.

Take some good pics and post 'em up for us!

Have a good time. I'm jealous as hell.

*edited to add:

Side note, did you guys watch the premier of Ultimate Fighter last night? Got off to a pretty fast start this season. Looks like it's going to be a good one.

Griffin v. Rampage ought to be fun.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Sublime620]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join