It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Rising Arms Race With Crooks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Police in Rising Arms Race With Crooks

abcnews.go.com

Some jurisdictions across the U.S. have been arming rank-and-file officers with high-powered assault rifles for a decade or more. But law enforcement officials say that trend has accelerated in the last year because of greater numbers of shootouts, standoffs in which police were outgunned, rising officer deaths and mass shootings of civilians by heavily armed gunmen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com
dailycamera.com

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Obviously assault rifles are easier to obtain after the federal ban was up. How far do you think this will go? Will there be a day when Police ride in armored hummers with machine-gun turrets?

Maybe one day...

...out of necessity

Thoughts and comments?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aecreate

This article makes me think the true purpose was to paint guns as 'evil.'

"Only bad people use guns for crimes, and the police use them to protect the public."

I don't want to go down that road as I will not think twice defending my right to bear arms if someone tries to take that away from me.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well wouldn't you want us to respond to a situation and have MORE firepower then that of the criminal? Remember the LA bank robbery. LAPD 9mm pistols vs fully auto AK47's. Why did the robbers have the upper hand for over 30 minutes? Because LAPD only had pistols..no shotguns no rifles....give them the tools and that shootout is over in less than 5 minutes!

And now with school shootings on the rise and street gangs getting all sorts of goddies you better hope we have the tools we need. Imagine a gunman on a college campus with an AR15 or .308 assault rifle and the campus cops have just their handy dandy 9mm or .40 cal pistols. I know there will be outcry about a police state, and some will say the firepower will be misued, etc etc etc....but in the end someone will be glad the cops had the upper hand!

EDIT TO ADD: I truly hope we never get to the point where I gotta wear ROBO's uniform...in this Georgia heat it would be a pain...

[edit on 3/23/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
IMO the government is responsible for it ... if they never allowed the guns to b made, then we wouldn't have a problem with them.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Correct...then all we would have to worry about are people getting run over by cars, stabbed, cut, hung, beat to death, stoned, etc...

Taking guns away would definitly make killing harder...but it WOULD continue. It has for thousands of years. And then what would happen to the PEOPLE of this country? The government is trying to back us into a corner while we own guns...imagine what would would happen if they WERE all taken away????

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
rcwj,

I see where you're coming from. As a police officer, I understand you want to at least be on a level playing field with those you encounter.

However, as you pointed out, this is a slipper slope towards a "police state." When police are outgunning the civilians, that's a problem.

Criminals are going to have access to guns no matter what happens. There's gun trafficking and no amount of legislation is going to stop this (on a side note, the US military is the largest arms supplier in the world).

I'd prefer to rely on my neighborhood for defense, but calling the police for help is definitely a plus.

rtcctr,

Its called the 2nd amendment. The right to bear arms.

Every free society in the world allows its citizens to defend themselves. Otherwise, the government does anything it wants without fear of punishment (although that's pretty much the state of affairs here in the US).

If there were no guns, the government would act with even more impunity. I'm not really looking for totalitarianism, thanks though for the offer.

The only people who would still have guns would be the criminals, the government, and probably the police force.

That would not be a free country anymore. I would probably have to side with the criminal element to defend my freedom to life, liberty, and the right to happiness.

I would be a sad panda...

[edit on 3/23/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I have nothing against the second ammendment and everyone should be allowed to carry as long as they r registered. I believe if they own them legally then they should have them.

History has proven when everyone carries then the crime rate dropped.

The problem is We Americans are out gunned by the military, they have the tanks and planes, I could go on but im sure you get the idea

rcwj,

A ? for you is, If the government revoked the second ammendment and your higher ups tell you to disarm the average citizen will you, or are you going to stand up to them(your higher ups) and support the second ammendment.

One problem with the crime rate dropping would be, The government would need less police on the streets and your job could be at risk.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtcctr
rcwj,

A ? for you is, If the government revoked the second ammendment and your higher ups tell you to disarm the average citizen will you, or are you going to stand up to them(your higher ups) and support the second ammendment.

The day the second amendment is revoked is the day I quite my job. Once that day comes the future of America is OVER. Being a LEO will be worthless...the taking over of citizens will have then begun, and as I stated in other threads...I WILL NOT be a part of that.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

That military that outguns Americans is also manned by Americans. Have you forgotten?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
There was a time when our law enforcement officers were armed perhaps better than the criminals.

en.wikipedia.org...:Thompsonad1sm.jpg

The problem with Americans today is that they are Too Well Protected! Most Americans never see the bad side of life. The massive gun battles and horribly violent crime usually don’t end up in the suburbs. Most Americans never feel the need to adequately protect themselves.

I think that the media is mostly to blame for this. The media never present the crime scenario as it actually is on a daily basis. They never talk about all the close calls where people have used their own weapons to properly defend themselves. Instead, they only cover the gang violence and when grandma uses a .357 magnum against a teenage purse snatcher.

The bigger, more adequate, picture of the crime situation in America is never represented.

As a side note, I think the days of “Cowboy Action Shooting Day” at work might be ancient history.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
One point that has been made already in this thread is that people will continue to kill other people regardless of the weaponry at hand.

Another thing I wanted to say is that the tommy gun was around prior to the 1934 ban of full auto guns for civilians without a license. Yes you can legally buy and own a full auto even now.

Anyway how many school shootings did you ever hear about prior to 1934?

I can't think of any.

Why? Because in my opinion, kids didn't misbehave in schools as much, because the consequences were horrendous. Teachers would beat the ever living B-Jesus out of kids that misbehaved.

Also I think there has been a drastic shift in the morality of this country in general.

It wasn't like people were just shooting each other like crazy back then. You did have plenty of crime resulting from the banning of alcohol, and the bootleggers that sprang up (getting tommy guns). And there was the same problem then of cops being outgunned. (hence the gun control act of 1934)

My point is that it really isn't guns that are the problem. How much would crime go down if drugs were legal? Most of our justice system is clogged with drug offenses, costing taxpayers billions of dollars. We have more people in jail than any other country on the planet!!!

Not to mention that because of the way the "system" operates, you have people getting arrested for drug crimes, that then become violent criminals because they "changed" while incarcerated.

Not to also mention the people that commit violent crime to get these illicit substances. If nicotine were to be banned tomorrow a black market would spring up over night. You would be able to get nicotine in extremely potent form, making it dangerous, and highly addictive. People would be dead in the street trying to get it, and it would cause crime. While with nicotine legal, people just go to the local pic quick and buy a pack of marly's.

Look at caffine.. Same deal, make it illegal, a black market springs up, covert agencies make massive amounts of money smuggling coffee beans into the country, gang members fight turf wars over who gets to sell the beans on what corner. "Users" are found in dark alleys all wild eyed hopped up on java. They get jailed ect ect ect.

You can't fix the problems of security by giving up your liberty.

Cops should be allowed to use what ever weapons they think they need.

Law makers should make laws that ensure that cops should never have to use weapons against civilians.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I would love to be able to get a fully auto tommy gun. But last I checked they wanted $30,000.00 and a bunch of class 3 crap. If you know where I can buy a full auto tommy gun legally without class 3 crap, by all means, please let me know.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
im all for police being properly armed to meet the needs of the situations there in , that being said i belive any weapon or defence system that is available to police should also be available to citazens hell where i live you cant own tazers, stun guns, impact batons or bullet proof vests, all these are readily available for the local police but considerd illegal to own or carry for private citazens and i belive that isent a justifiable law.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Try telling that to anyone in Europe and they will laugh at you.

You people really have a gun problem indeed but are not willing to see that.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
thats just silly people in europe still die from gun violence and dont forget the stabbings , yet the citazens arent allowed to own a gun to protect them selves should the need arrive.people who want guns to use in the commision of crimes will always get their hands on them even if the firearms are illeagle in that country.

example: Homicides by shooting in England and Wales year 2000 Total homicides 728

source: www.guncontrol.ca...

[edit on 3/24/2008 by krill]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
We dont have drive by shootings, its seldom that some kid shoots at a school.

Then why are there so many of them in the US?

Food for Thought

2004 saw 81 people die everyday from firearms

Says it all really...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

Yeah Yanks are highly paranoid, remember?...lol

To the board...

Violence breeds violence. Guy gets a gun, the other guy gets a bigger gun, the cycle will never end. Bigger guns are not the answer. Crime is a symptom of a system gone wrong. It only takes a few people to admit this to start the change. But the 'system' doesn't want to change. Cops don't care about peoples safety, or stopping crime, they just want to been seen to be fighting the 'war' on crime. Their livelihood is dependent on crime, so it's not in their best interest to suppress it. It's all just another business at the expense of citizens. So the cycle continues...

Crime gets worse, laws get stricter and our 'rights' decrease. We the law abiding citizen play piggie in the middle. Criminal, cop, I don't see much difference...

[edit on 24/3/2008 by ANOK]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
When the police become less like crooks, I will be okay with them being armed more then crooks

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill
example: Homicides by shooting in England and Wales year 2000 Total homicides 728....

LOL if citizens in Europe, especially in Britain, were allowed to own guns it would be Oakland CA times a million...lol

There is no real proof gun ownership reduces crime.

But we should be looking at other ways to reduce crime, including education which is surely lacking in a lot of US cities, rather than arming citizens to the teeth.

Guns don't reduce crime they just escalate the results of it. Ever hear of a drive by stabbing? Guns make it to easy to kill. You are far removed from your victim, a lot different than using a knife where you have to get close up and personal. People always seem to miss the psychological effects of a given situation and base their opinion on reactionary emotional responses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join