It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis is killing me.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I've been having sleep paralysis for the past 2-3 nights now, and it's starting to take a toll on me, I'm always exhausted now, and it's got to the point where i'm afraid to go to sleep.

It started 3 nights ago and I was laying in bed, I had just fallen asleep and I woke up because I thought I heard my closet door opening, next thing I know I hear someone clawing on my bedsheets and hear them laughing in a demonic voice, it scared me senseless, I wasn't able to move throughout this, it lasted for about 15 seconds, but I couldn't open my eyes, scream for help or anything, all i could do was make little growns by breathing out really fast, and then i finally regained control of my body and ran out of my room as quick as I could, I knew this was sleep paralysis because I had read about it on ATS before. Well this is starting to happen alot now, atleast half of the time i wake up it happens.

It's really starting to take a toll on me both physicaly and mentally. I can barely keep myself awake now, and my appetite has curved.

I don't know what to do right now, i'm just scared to go to sleep. I mean I know it's not real but I can't help but be scared.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And you are quite sure it is only sleep paralysis?

Have you tried sleeping somewhere else? Or taking a nap day time?

You could have a radio on while you sleep, or put on some relaxing music.

First of all though, you need to find out what is triggering your sleep paralysis.
It can be things like, stress, the way you fall asleep on.
And you can also try and learn how to dream lucidly.

How old are you? (just wondering)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balez
And you are quite sure it is only sleep paralysis?

Have you tried sleeping somewhere else? Or taking a nap day time?

You could have a radio on while you sleep, or put on some relaxing music.

First of all though, you need to find out what is triggering your sleep paralysis.
It can be things like, stress, the way you fall asleep on.
And you can also try and learn how to dream lucidly.

How old are you? (just wondering)

Thanks for replying Balez.

I'm 18.

And i'm pretty sure it is sleep paralysis, or atleast hope it is. I'm pretty sure it is though because i've had nightmares of the same thing, my closet door opening and something demonic coming out trying to attack me, it just freaks me out that it's happening when i'm awake too or atleast partially awake.

Yes I have, I slept in the living room last night to see if sleeping somwhere else would have an effect and it didn't, when I woke up tihs morning I couldn't open my eyes for about 10 seconds, i had my fingers on my eyelids prying them open and even when i got them open i still couldn't see, but after about 3 seconds i regained vision. I dunno this is all still a little weird for me.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Had to ask if you were sure what it was, since alot of people are convinced that their experiences are sleep paralysis, when it at times is not

Anyways, my tip for you is, try and find out what is triggering this.

And also when you wake up and feel this, try and relax, it usually last no more than 30 seconds, when you have learned to relax you can control your self and at times people can control what happen when they experience this.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Sleep on your side.

90% of sleep paralysis encounters are when you are on your back. I sleep on my side when I dont want to experience them, usually when I sleep on my back I have a much greater occurance of them.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I remember i took a hit of some bad weed, that was laced with something, That triggered sleep paralysis for me, for about a week. After that my drug days were over, i am actually glad i had that experience. Sorry i am not much help

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Do you exercise regularly? If not (although everyone should), ease into a regular cardio/aerobic workout routine, 60 minutes 5 days a week early in the evening, and avoid stimulating foods (no sugars, caffeine, etc.) in the evening after your workout. Regular exercise can cure so many aliments, and that should be the first line defense/cure tried for all things.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
well forgive my thoughts here. Most people don't believe what I put forward but I have concern for you and will state it regardless.

I feel so angry when discarnate energies who attack innocent people. You have an energy who is persistently bothering you. Attacking you while you sleep, that is why you feel so drained. It is also why you state you feel 'this is killing you'... I refer to some astral energies as parasites that leech onto your aura and feed off of your energy.

Please see what Paul_Richard has to offer regarding protection.

Call on the white light to protect and heal you on all levels. All you have to do is simply ask and it is heard and done.

all the best

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Yes Paul is a good person to consult I agree
you get a star

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Im sorry but there is NO protection from sleep paralysis. Its not a demonic attack, its not an unseen force holding you down - I probably have three to five episodes a month, with about half on average resulting in being able to separate my astral from the physical. I have more experience with this then I wish I had.. but over the last fifteen or so years i've been more and more able to control the situation. By putting yourself into a state of immense fear, you are only prolonging the paralysis in my opinion. Relax, tell yourself it will be over soon, and just try to ride it out.

Now, there HAS been times where I hear voices, think I see things, etc.. This is a result of hypnogogic imagery. It occurs when you are between sleep and wake states, sleeping but awake if you may. Sometimes its quite frightening, actually unnerving to hear something yell in your ear - or atleast thats what it sounds like to me, but I assure you - no bad has ever come from any paralysis episode. Actually, its quite opposite. I look forward to such events because its almost like a catalyst to a oobe.

I hope this was informative and any questions feel free to U2U me.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I understand that your intentions are good, but... you can't diagnose people like that based on an internet post.

I have a degree in psychology and experience many variations of sleep paralysis, my beliefs are also very open. I believe there are energies unknown to us which may influence our lives but it doesn't mean every unexplained thing falls under that category.

Sleep paralysis is very real and within the physical world. It could be the result of 'outside' influence but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that can cause it. It is also possible to control and understand it yourself, instead of relying on some psychic energy healer to exercise your demons.

For instance, he's tired and drained because sleep paralysis doesn't occur during deep sleep. It occurs 'around' the REM stage level, which is the closest to the waking level of all sleep stages. Which is why you can wake up to your alarm, snooze for five minutes, and have a dream in between that. Taking any sort of stimulant before you sleep can also affect SP and the quality of sleep. A tired mind with a rested body still feels tired.

He is taking the first step by learning about and analyzing his experience. In the beginning of my sleep paralysis the events tended to be more negative because I was frightened. You have to realize that when you dream, your brain is creating your reality filtered through your consciousness.

The initial shock of waking up paralyzed scares the daylight out of you. It feels just as, if not more 'real', than reality. Your fear can cause your brain to create a cause, based on the current effect of fear. A little backwards but our brain likes to fill gaps. It's very difficult to become aware that it isn't real, but you can change the way your brain attempts to filter it. You have to separate the "you" from the "brain". You can reprogram your brain beforehand by learning about SP, telling yourself it's ok not to be scared, opening up to the experience, etc. It takes time, but eventually your brain changes its response to your fear. Instead of creating an explanation for your fear, it can remind you to be calm or to go with it. I feel as if I literally hear my past conscious self remind me that there is no reason to be afraid.

Since I have made that shift I have not experienced a single negative dream or episode of sleep paralysis. It's still confusing and a bit offsetting, but I've completely lost any fear associated with it. I find them very interesting now and attempt to enjoy or experiment with the situation when it occurs.

Thurisaz, like i said earlier, I know you meant well by your post. I'm just asking that you consider your words and the affect that they have on the people you speak with. I'm not saying he couldn't be 'under attack', but he most likely isn't. Learning to personally understand and find perspective on the experience is a very important step. Jumping to supernatural conclusions can be dangerous as it adds unnecessary stress, importance, and complication to the matter. Again, I know that from personal experience, and it should absolutely be a last resort when more simple and easy solutions have been attempted.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I didn't really address Uniceft17 in my last post, so here goes...

I am asking you tackle the experience on your own, and not involve energies/spirits/demons or anything of that sort to begin with. I believe in that sort of thing, but from personal experience I also believe that 99.9% of SP has a physical cause. Not to belittle your SP or perception thereof, I've had a few times that still make me scratch my head, and that's totally fine, but don't let it overrun your thoughts. You can't really verify it, so for now, take it as it is, an experience. You know that to be true, everything else is speculation.

I also know that you can defeat the fear personally, and really build a relationship with your mind. Sounds weird I know, but most people don't take the time to improve their ability to command their brain. You are unconsciously reprogramming your brain everyday, you can speed that up AND set it in the direction of your choosing if you begin to consciously control it.

It's like when you try to remember something, you don't consciously search for the info, you just sort of think about it. Apply that to other areas of your life and experience. Just tell your brain what you want to happen. You can make yourself like something you currently don't. Say a friend offends you in the morning, and you spend all day thinking about it, just getting madder and more upset. Of course you did, you sat there running the "be mad at friend" command all day. Take command of that idle time and thoughts to improve yourself.

Did you know smiling literally makes you happier? Your brain sees that you've chosen to contract and relax the muscles required for smiling and assumes something made you happy, so it releases positive neurotransmitters which, tada! make you feel happy. The good ol' brain filling in gaps for a perceived affect ("something must have made me smile, what the heck, send out the happy pills") It is that easy, you just have to take control. And if you think taking control is hard, it's not, just do it. You already have the control, you've just given it away to fear for the moment, but it's always yours.

Ask yourself this, is your speculation creating more of a problem than it's solving? It can add another mental layer of fear to your situation. Now you have to deal with the supernatural possibility before you address the actual experience. This can create a separation which makes you feel helpless and victimized by the sleep paralysis. As long as that added fear or complication is there, it will be very difficult to address the sleep paralysis itself.

I can't tell you what to do, and I entirely understand that your perception of events could be different from mine, so who am I to say it isn't supernatural. But I can tell you that it's possible to address it personally and rationally. You know you aren't insane, trust your judgement and don't rely on others to judge an inner conscious experience of yours. You could gain a lot from this mental journey, I know I did. If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask, hope all is well tonight.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
Thurisaz, like i said earlier, I know you meant well by your post. I'm just asking that you consider your words and the affect that they have on the people you speak with. I'm not saying he couldn't be 'under attack', but he most likely isn't. Learning to personally understand and find perspective on the experience is a very important step. Jumping to supernatural conclusions can be dangerous as it adds unnecessary stress, importance, and complication to the matter. Again, I know that from personal experience, and it should absolutely be a last resort when more simple and easy solutions have been attempted.

As for the other alternatives suggested so far; What has been offered up that is tangible?

It doesnt seem to me that any of the comments are tangible. It discusses sleep paralysis but does nothing to help reduce the sensations the OP is experiencing.

I have suggested some advice based on my own experiences that will not only assist 'the state of the persons mind but reduce the level of anxiety'.

My contribution provides a possible solution that is FREE of charge. The OP can easily access this information.

And yes, Parabol, your right not to discount other possibilites. But, imo, isn't it better to deal with whatever could be causing this?

When I had my frightening experiences, this protection stopped all of it immediately

And once I woke up to a shadow holding me down on my bed. I could feel this shadow sucking the life out of my body, I felt the vibrations throughout my body while it was attached to me. I called out God Almighty and immediately the sensation stopped. After that experience, I felt like nearly all the life had been sucked out of me. I was physically affected by this. That is not sleep paralysis.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Could it be stress? Also, are you taking any new medicines, herbs, vitamins, etc? I would keep diary on all of these things, including food and drink and see if there are common denominators.

I dont know what to say about the claws and demonic laughter- creeps me out, but the first impulse is to say you are dreaming.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I feel for you my friend.
I have been experiencing sleep paralysis frightening episodes since I was 12 years old. They have dropped off dramatically now (I’m 34 years old now). The worst part of it all was not knowing what was happening to me for so many years. Sleep paralysis wasn’t something anyone talked about at all. It certainly wasn’t in the textbooks, that’s for sure. But it certainly should be.

Here is what I did that helped a lot.

Firstly, when you’re younger, fear is the driving force. When I was younger the episodes were longer and definitely more memorable and frightening. I feel for you.

What I eventually did was I moved my bed to the corner of the room, against 2 walls because I was afraid of being attacked by what I was seeing. This helped a lot because I only had to fear 2 sides and not 4. However, there is a toss up in the when you are in your paralyzed state; you now can usually see the entirety of the room. This can sometimes ad to the problems because if you can see more of the room then there are more objects for your mind to distort into frightening shapes.

Eventually I also took down posters on the wall and objects that leaned against the wall. I didn’t know why at first, I guess it was instinct, but that helped a lot too. Later I learned that he reason why it helped was because a particular movie poster that I had on the wall contributed to a vision that I was having of an alien standing at the foot of my bed when I was paralyzed. I didn’t realize it at first because the alien appeared to me to be standing a few feet in front of the poster, but in actuality my mind created this effect because of the sleep paralysis effect. When the poster was removed, aliens didn’t stand at the foot of my bed anymore.

The main problem with sleep paralysis is that your mind distorts what your eyes are seeing when you open them. It’s not that you see aliens or daemons; it is that you are immediately frightened by the sleep paralysis event and your mind creates what you are secretly afraid of out of the shapes that your eyes are receiving from the objects in the room.

Things will appear to move that aren’t moving because your mind is trying to create a known object from the information that your eyes are receiving. Your mind still wants to create dreams while your eyes are still feeding it real live information. This is why it can be so freighting. You don’t always know what your going to see of feel, so, you are never really prepared for it.

So, make sure that your closet door is always closed when you go to sleep. If it is daemons that you are seeing then it says to me that you secretly have religion issues. I also thought one time that I was seeing daemons, or ghosts, but this was only while I was attending church more regularly. You can’t link your visions to your personal daily experiences at first, it takes some time and distance to reflect back on the past and then say, “Ah, ha” that’s probably why I say that!”
Mostly, for me anyway, sleep paralysis was a visual event, and therein lied the key to me solving the problems. Recently, I started wearing a sleep mask and making sure that the room was lit by only one source and that source needed to be about mid level in the room. When I was younger I used to plug in a night light, but this didn’t seem to help because I still had the episodes. Later I realized that a night light creates a lot of long shadows in the room because it is not a powerful light and also it is very close to the ground where the plug to the wall was. So, I had just as many sleep paralysis episodes with the light as I had without it because my eyes still had a lot of shadow information to make shapes out of in my mind.

So, wear a sleep mask but keep the room lit a bit from a very low power lamp. The sleep mask will keep the light from keeping you awake, but the light will be there to help you get out of an episode quickly if something goes wrong. I have noticed that the brighter the room is lit, the less the episodes seem to last. White out basically destroys visual detail so, bright light tends to make the visions less powerful and they are erased by your mind more quickly in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

As for the other alternatives suggested so far; What has been offered up that is tangible?

It doesnt seem to me that any of the comments are tangible. It discusses sleep paralysis but does nothing to help reduce the sensations the OP is experiencing.

What about his experience is tangible? What is tangible within any conscious perception? Nothing. You can't give a direct path through this. Which is why I stress the personal experience and trusting yourself. It's like when your mind is arguing over two choices; the one you want to do and the one you should. If you learn to trust your judgment of which voice is which, you can begin to not only judge, but guide yourself subjectively as you choose. I can't tell Uniceft17 what to choose, but I can tell him that he has the choice.

I know none of that is tangible either but you need to lose that sense of black and white tangibility and swim through the gray for a bit. The gray is the singular experience, sleep paralysis cannot be shared. Uniceft17 and I may have the same brain chemistry working during an episode but we may interpret it very differently. Knowing that, I can't tell him specifically what to do, because it might not be the best choice for him. I am stressing the awareness of mind which creates our experience. When you make a decision stop to think about why you chose it. What qualities did you stress? What was your goal? Did you pick the most difficult or easy choice? Do that for awhile and you'll begin to see the structure of how your brain operates, which varies incredibly from person to person. Only by finding your own source of experience can you change it, like learning a language before you attempt to speak it.

I want to stress again I didn't mean anything personal against you in my statements. I know we all have our own way of solving problems, which is why I would like to see Uniceft17 explore it on his own before giving his experience away to anothers interpretation, even mine.

I have suggested some advice based on my own experiences that will not only assist 'the state of the persons mind but reduce the level of anxiety'.

My contribution provides a possible solution that is FREE of charge. The OP can easily access this information.

Everything I said was from my experience as well. I'm not sure what sort of advice you expected. "Ok, when you start to vibrate try to pitch your body to the right and feel a beam of white light entering your head." Not that these visualizations couldn't, or don't, help but it's treating a symptom. You can avoid having to prepare this 'defense' or strategy against it by changing the way you perceive the experience. If you change your thoughts about it your experience will change as well. It is natural, thought without words or unnecessary complication.

And yes, Parabol, your right not to discount other possibilites. But, imo, isn't it better to deal with whatever could be causing this?

And yes, but personally facing the experience is can conquer it without relying on others thoughts, interpretations, or beliefs. Do you normally begin with the most difficult, intangible, and complicated possible solution?

When I had my frightening experiences, this protection stopped all of it immediately

And once I woke up to a shadow holding me down on my bed. I could feel this shadow sucking the life out of my body, I felt the vibrations throughout my body while it was attached to me. I called out God Almighty and immediately the sensation stopped. After that experience, I felt like nearly all the life had been sucked out of me. I was physically affected by this. That is not sleep paralysis.

Been there, many times. I know what you experienced is probably more frightening than anything you've seen in real life. I'm not putting that down, but I would consider that a medium level SP. I mean this in the best possible way, but try to lose any feeling of being special. Victims are special. Normal, easy solutions don't work for special situations. Everything about special is different, it's paralyzing. I've experienced some weird, weird things but when I felt special for having them, as if something had chosen to attack or visit me for whatever reason, it was very difficult to objectively see what happened to me. When I lost that feeling it became a lot less scary, more normal, and even more fun. I've gone into a lucid dream straight from awakening with SP many times. You can choose to wake up or not, I couldn't at first but now I can maintain the vibration as long as I want, and stop it when I want as well. That doesn't mean I'm special or i've gained power over SP, it just means every person who experiences it could probably do the same thing.

Think of the sleep paralysis as a little smoke, initially confusing and tough to see through. You can always imagine the smoke is from a fire and run, or you can look around the corner and find it might be a candle. It could be a fire (supernatural attack) but at least look to see if it's a candle first before you abandon your search. Ha, hope that makes sense, first analogy that came to mind.

Hope all is well.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Thankyou for all the caring replys everyone. They are very much appreciated.

I had 'sleep paralysis' again, but this time I viewed it as a good experience, and I was able to turn it into a full fledged OBE not only once but twice, it was amazing but still only lasted a few seconds, and it was wanderful.

I just used astral projection techniques while i was in sleep paralysis, and it worked to my advantage.

Now all i have to do is get back on my regular sleep routine.

Thank you all very much.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A shot of rum, or six pack will put you out

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
That's insane that there are people out there who have this problem as well.. I too have had this issue. A year ago or so, it happened to me like three times in one night. Only whatever it was, was molesting me...Very scary for me. I dont even like talking about it. The only thing that works for me is to sleep on my side. Sleeping on your back makes you vulnerable....

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
I've been having sleep paralysis for the past 2-3 nights now, and it's starting to take a toll on me, I'm always exhausted now, and it's got to the point where i'm afraid to go to sleep.

It started 3 nights ago and I was laying in bed, I had just fallen asleep and I woke up because I thought I heard my closet door opening, next thing I know I hear someone clawing on my bedsheets and hear them laughing in a demonic voice, it scared me senseless, I wasn't able to move throughout this, it lasted for about 15 seconds, but I couldn't open my eyes, scream for help or anything, all i could do was make little growns by breathing out really fast, and then i finally regained control of my body and ran out of my room as quick as I could, I knew this was sleep paralysis because I had read about it on ATS before. Well this is starting to happen alot now, atleast half of the time i wake up it happens.

It's really starting to take a toll on me both physicaly and mentally. I can barely keep myself awake now, and my appetite has curved.

I don't know what to do right now, i'm just scared to go to sleep. I mean I know it's not real but I can't help but be scared.

Relax dude - you should use it to your advantage, it's the stage right before astral projection, though... you might meet the dweller on the threshold which can be a little.... freaky - but it's actually just your own fear personalized.

I used to get it about 4 times a night every night at the age of about 12-13... I even managed to stay completely calm and learn to wiggle my toes and hand etc...
You shouldnt be losing any sleep to be honest, it occurs during REM cycles where the brain is awake and the body is asleep, just because you've become conscious - doesnt mean your losing any sleep at all. Look into Lucid dreaming - you can soooo easily go lucid from that state, and that will blow your mind! trust me

J

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join