It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumers Right to Sue Weakening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Consumers Right to Sue Weakening

www.washingtonindependent.com

But throughout the history of the Food and Drug Administration, and its precursor agencies, U.S. consumers could always bring the manufacturer of a faulty product to court. Now, with the FDA woefully underfunded in its key role of assuring the safety and effectiveness of foods and drugs, and with political ideologues in the agency pushing industry prerogatives, the White House and the courts may be on the verge of stripping Americans of the right to sue. This would take away the last option for those seeking protection from --or recourse for -- faulty products.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Seems to be the recurring theme over the past several years. The little people are continually losing rights to have any voice, and the corporations are becoming untouchable. Status quo, par for the course of our corporate-ruled system.

www.washingtonindependent.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm honestly surprised we didn't lose the right to sue when that lady sued McDonald's years back because she burned herself on hot coffee because she couldn't realize it was hot without a warning label on the cup telling her so. I've seen some absolutely ridiculous consumer lawsuits over the years. Of course I don't condone us consumers losing our right to sue, but you can't say we haven't abused it.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by greatpiino

I agree with you on that, there are some stupid people out there willing to abuse any system they can.

The woman that sued about the coffee should have had her case thrown out and fined for using the courts for her own pleasure and gain.

I would hate to see us loose our right to sue. But at the same time I am not sure we make work to make them that abuse the system pay without hurting the honest people.

Didn’t they already pass a thing a few years back making it harder or impossible to sue the drug companies over shots or something like that? I could swear I heard that or I might have dreamed it but I certainly remember it from a few years ago. Maybe they were working on legislation; I wish I could remember exactly.

Raist

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
The woman that sued about the coffee should have had her case thrown out and fined for using the courts for her own pleasure and gain.

I'll jump right on that bandwagon! The friviless lawsuits got WAY out of hand. I remember a guy here sued a hammer company for like $12 million because he hit and broke his thumb. His case was that noone ever told him or the company never warned him that the hammer could inflict injury to him. Then comes the MAJOR setback...the dumb--- courts system awarded him $350,000 in damages and emotional distress. So its no wonder they are pushing this. We can be our own worst enemy!!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's not the little people using the courts that is out of control, it's the lawyers that are pushing the claims into the ridiculous and then walking away with 50% or more of the settlements. Look at that stupid lawsuit that was brought by a judge against his drycleaner. $56 Million because they lost his favorite pants...

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
We could easily make a mile-long list of all the outlandish lawsuits that have not only been brought to court but have been ruled in favor of the idiocy that they're based on. I'm sure I'd be much more outraged if said list were even just a little shorter. But even still, I'm of the opinion that a better way to reduce these lawsuits would be to form an investigative committee that cracks down on the outlandish rulings to discourage people from trying to cash in on nonsensical technicalities and/or their own stupidity. If such a committee already exists, then they suck at what they do.

Edit to add that you are spot on about the greedy lawyers, mythatsabigprobe.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by greatpiino]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think using the McDonald's lawsuit as an example of frivilious lawsuits is in poor taste. I followed that case because it did outrage me. However, when the facts came out, the woman had a legitimate case.

Coffee should never be giving someone third degree burns. The way the corporation addressed the original claim, which was medical expenses only, was also badly handled. Also, the jury felt that the plaintiff was 20% at fault. Not all lawsuits are as frivilious as people and the media claim they are.

* McFacts about the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit
* Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants

Now, the judge with the pants... that is frivilious lawsuit, and that person lost his position after it was not affirmed for an extension. Well deserved.

I would recommend researching any case that sounds frivilious to see what is really going on. The truth might surprise you.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I certainly understand your point of view, but McDonald's didn't spill the coffee on her. If I buy a coffee and accidentally spill it on myself, I'm pissed at myself for spilling it and burning my beautiful soft skin (true story!), not at the coffee shop for making my hot coffee too hot. Just a difference of opinion though and I definitely understand yours.

top topics

join