It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Lose weight, or we will take your children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

UK: Lose weight, or we will take your children

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Six young brothers and sisters face being taken from their parents and put into care because they are overweight.

Social workers have warned they will intervene if three of the youngsters – including a 12-year-old boy who weighs 16 stone – do not shed several pounds in three months.

The parents have been told they risk losing all their children if there is no improvement in the 12-year-old or two of his sisters aged 11 and three – who weigh 12 stone and four stone – by June.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow..

There is so many other ways to help a family with obese children, but to threaten to take the kids? I wonder if any of them lawmakers have children who are overweight. Although I do believe something needs to be done about the obesity crisis in both the UK as well as the USA, this is not the way.

www.thisislondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
What are we to expect from this nanny state.

Why address the problem when we can come up with a 'cure' that will not benefit anybody apart from the pale legislationmongers in Whitehall who will no doubt be wringing their swaety hands and patting one another on the back about how much good they are doing.

I ask you - have you ever looked around the House of Commons or the House of Lords????

Hmmmmm - obesity is a problem is it????

Two words to finish...

John Prescot

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
typical "big brother" move, me thinks. see something "I" think is a problem and "deal with it or else". you should have grabbed the pic from the artical as well. shown in the picture is a large couple and a large little girl. actualy a prety common site in some areas.

it could be that there is some bit of genetics in play as all three ar large ( since we don't have any family history to go on). if so than i guess that anyone labled "fat" should not be alowed to have kids, if we want a "normal society".

it could also be that the parrents work in jobs with minimul movement, perhaps programmers or transit or truck drivers. i KNOW that this type of work does tend to make people fat, my own father was decently skinny right up untill he started driveing a bus for a liveing. i know he was constintly dieting and trying to loose weight but never happened (just a pound or two here or there that would come right back). we ate as healthy as we could on a rather thin income where in all honesty there were a few times when there was not enough and my sibbling and i would get his share. but yet he is fat.

as for the litte girl well isnt she in school (in britton the new land of healty school lunches? what about gym class and recess?. other then that school consists of sitting still in your seat or getting in trubble for 6 or so hours a day. this is NOT a "healthy active lifestyle". (and to think they want school to go year round so not even summers to get exersize).is she in a daycare program after school wheresitting quietly is a trait loved by overloaded staff dealing with other active kids. is she a "latch key kid" not alowed to leave the appartment untill the parrents get home in time to make supper. other than in school many kids DON"T have the opertunity to realy exercise outside of school. i have one neibour who has grown up across the courtyard from me. he is now 10 and gets in trubble when he came out after seeing me come home to talk, he is lonly i think and i know he dosnt do much after school but watch tv and play vidio games. what exersize is he realy getting?

i know when i get home from work i am dead, i am tiered and worn out as are most people today even if they have "just been sitting all day", does not matter what you do you will be tired and sore after a day of work. with me i even have chronic back pain that i have to live with dureing the day so i just stay in bed mostly after work. so i wouldn't have time to go be active with my kids. (i'm just lucky tht i work in a phisicaly active job so i am skinny
so i don't "need" exercuise as much). so dos't look like i would be able to do much playing with a kid after work, and most people are now so scared of the world that kids don't play outside for fear of kidnapping and most parrents are too busy after work cooking cleaning ect. to go outside and watch.

the problem with things like governments "trying" to help everyone is that they tend only to see key points in whatever they "think" is wrong and needs to be fixed. they hit key points while totaly ignoreing ALL the facters in the perceved problem. from this story as an example most would think a few things as to why these children are fat. parrents overfeed them. kids are fed unhealthy foods, (well when "good food" is a lot more expensive than the junk what do you expect, example 2l coke $0.99, 2l milk $3.50:lol
yup lets blaim the parrents for that one. and lack of exercise, when in reality there is a huge ball of facters that have to be considdered. how is takeing the kids away going to help is beond me since instuitutions are typicaly broke and also feeding not so healthy stuff anyway. but then again hey lets just make kids work at phisicaly demanding jobs would solve many problems at once wouldn't it? i mean there were few fat kids when the were work houses were there?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You are so right.

Even if a parent hasn't been physically active all day they can still be be brain drained and unable to focus/funtion. I know I am when I come home - that's why I have to to go the gym at 6am before work...

Anyway back to what you said about schools....

I work at a sports college here in the UK and have been asked to devise lessons where sport and physical exercise will be practically brought into English lessons...

I spent ages planning it - thinking what a good idea it is and then fed it back to my department of young women only to be told...

'how the hell an i gonna do that in high heels..?'

What do I say to that eh? Trying to bring fitness in across the curriculum but we face hurdles at every point.

MSP

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by more_serotonin_pls
You are so right.

I spent ages planning it - thinking what a good idea it is and then fed it back to my department of young women only to be told...

'how the hell an i gonna do that in high heels..?'

What do I say to that eh? Trying to bring fitness in across the curriculum but we face hurdles at every point.

MSP

Haha, brilliant
They should make them walk around barefooted if they're stupid enough to go into school, with high heels

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Imagine if the children are taken away and its later found out that the family just has a hormonal imbalance or something else that the parents cant be blamed for.

In any case, the parent cant control what the kid eats at school!

This is pathetic and unfair. I dont often hate anyone, but i am beginning to really hate the attitude of this government.

new topics

top topics

join