It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osprey spotted at Moapa, NV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My friend and I were driving southbound on the I-15 freeway. Upon passing Moapa, NV (52 miles NE of Las Vegas), my friend pointed and said, "That is a funny looking propeller plane." I look where my friend was pointing and I was puzzled with its side profile shape. Initially, I had no idea what it was. Then, as we got closer, I realized it was a V-22 Osprey. I nearly crapped my pants when I realized it was a V-22 Osprey. It flew over the I-15 heading SE towards Lake Mead and Valley of Fire. I lost sight of it when the Osprey flew past a mountain.

What puzzled me is what is a V-22 Osprey doing in Nellis Air Force Range (home of Area 51). Looking back at the incident, I recall there were no obvious markings on this Osprey. Of course, the sun was setting.

Anyways, I thought the first unit to field the Osprey is in one of the Carolina States with some field testing in Iraq.

Does anyone know a unit flying the Osprey's in Nellis AFB?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
No idea what squadron it was, as there are two operated by the USAF. But they still have to train. Nellis is a HUGE training area, with Red Flag among other exercises going on there constantly. It's the closest to conditions in Iraq that you will find in the US.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Dreamland resort has a discussion thread that might be of interest to you w/r/t the Osprey.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
MV-22B Osprey No 166391 (VMX-22) USMC was at the RAF Fairford Air Tattoo on 15/16 Jul 2006.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Perhaps it was the CV-22 Air Force version. They have them as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
As I mentioned the USAF flies two squadrons of them right now. There is the 8th Special Ops Squadron, which I doubt it was because they fly out of Hurlburt in Florida, and the 71st Special Ops Squadron, which it probably was, out of Kirtland New Mexico. They were probably doing some kind of training related to Red Flag, or SAR training.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, it wasn't the ones out of Hurlburt Field, I saw them flying around near the beach yesterday.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

I once saw, from very close, the Bell XV-15 (the proof of concept of the V-22) and what struck me, was the very low noise signature (very quiet) when in aircraft mode.

Did you noticed the same thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Zaphod,

I already checked the Red Flag schedule and nothing was going on in the month of March. Of course, maybe they were prepping for the April event. Problem is that is an early prep since April's Red Flag is the 2nd half of the month.

Red Flag Schedule

Popeye,

The Osprey did not may any noise. Of course, the plane was like 50 yards away and I was going about 90mph. I tried to pullover to take a picture. But by the time I got to the shoulder it flew past the mountain.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It didn't necessarily have to be Red Flag though. Nellis does other work besides just that. They have been known to do SAR training, as well as training for squadrons that are going to be operating in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yes, I know it doesn't have to be Red Flag. I am just pointing out that the Osprey was not part of a Red Flag exercise.

I wish I was able to get a picture so we can determine what unit the Osprey was from based on its markings... If there were any.

This sighting has either tied or is better than when I was two B-52s landing at Nellis. Or when I saw a B-2 bomber.

One day, I'll see a UFO (man-made or extraterrestrial).

new topics

top topics

join