It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addiction to internet 'is an illness'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
That's great, just like alcoholism is a disease right? WRONG! Addictions aren't diseases, they're self imposed punishments.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
That's great, just like alcoholism is a disease right? WRONG! Addictions aren't diseases, they're self imposed punishments.

STAR for you...soooo true. Its unreal how many still think its a disease to willingly make a choice to do something that will only destroy you.

Not being able to step away from the computer for awhile is not an illness, its a choice!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well if you seriously cant be without internet then it's a problem. I can and I've been without connection for extended periods of time. The only problem was that I was away from knowledge that I could've easily gotten from the net. That can be a major pain in the butt and you get annoyed for not having a connection. Once you get used to the idea that most information is easily accessed you are in a way 'hooked' but I would never call that an addiction.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Thank you for that projectvxn. Everything we do is a choice. I choose to surf the web instead of running the streets and getting into trouble. I can drink and surf at the same time and not hurt anyone in the process. I can play games, watch TV shows, write stories, poems and draw pictures. I can talk to my friends via email, messenger and read up on science and nature. I do walk away from it to exercise, mow the yard etc...

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

Originally posted by projectvxn

STAR for you...soooo true. Its unreal how many still think its a disease to willingly make a choice to do something that will only destroy you.

Not being able to step away from the computer for awhile is not an illness, its a choice!

I worked for a few months in a Drug and Alcohol counseling office. every day I would come in to work I would hear the counselor speak to these people as though they were sick..And you know what? Most of them went back to jail for DUIs and other drug offenses. And they used the disease excuse to get out of jail and back into counseling where they could have their delusions reinforced by the counselor. When I realized what was going on I called the counselor a host of names that indicated to him that I thought he was a fraud and that he wasn't helping anyone, and I quit.

I don't know where they find these shrinks. But addiction is no mental illness. If that were the case drug addicts and people who drive drunk would be in mental hospitals and NOT jails. The only disease I see here is one of delusion into thinking you have no control over yourself. AA and NA perpetuate this on a regular basis..And if you look at their success rate, it is the same as that of people who quit without their help 5%.

So where does that leave the people who peddle this #? Dead in the water that's where. But the media and the justice system puts trust in these people to actually do their jobs, instead they offer you a way to become even more powerless over your addiction by placing all the responsibility on God. As a Christian I find that offensive.

Here are the 12 steps:

# We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

# Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

# Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

# Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

# Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

# Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

# Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

# Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

# Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

# Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

# Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

# Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Does this sound like self help? Or an excuse to do whatever you want because you have no control anyway? BS!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Good for you for quitting those quacks! its back a##wards, just like the methadone clinics, whats the point of that, the person just becomes addicted to the juice and then is weened down to the smallest dose possible, and still, the person will be just as sick as if they just went cold turkey. Also, at those clinics, they tell you your addiction is a disease comparable to diabetes where you have to take medication the rest of your life and not to be ashamed. I feel sorry for the kids who actually believe that crap.
Yeah, maybe if you think that, or just want an excuse to get your drugs from the government. Its just as expensive, except insurance will cover it, enabling the addiction all the more.
I wonder what drugs they will give to internet addicts, maybe they just make them get Dial Up so they begin to find it pointless, kind of like getting bunked every time they go to score.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Uh oh

But seriously man can you help me out I am lookin for some broadband.

I mean it can be street wifi but I really need 6mg upstream.

Cmon man help a brutha!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yeah of course using the internet "too much," is a psychiatric illness. The main reason is you find out about trillion dollar pharmaceutical cartels, and the unceasing number of fake illnesses pharmaceutical cartels unduly imbue upon doctors, patients, and so called modern medicine. Read some Solzhenitsyn will you? Better yet go find a witch doctor with a rattle who uses laboratory controls over centuries to find the right herbs to help you. Strangely "modern science," calls things like fluoride, and aspartame "safe." Rats will not eat GM food, when you stack their food sources with both natural and GM foods. They go for the non-GMO foods every time.

So when you read about these things during your so called "internet addiction," you might well become ill, sickened at what charlatans are masquerading as official "authorities," and "scientific geniuses." They will not necessarily help you.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by SkipShipman]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join