It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VISTA: program compatibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just what is it that makes a program compatible with VISTA?
I can see large anti-virus and firewall applications need to be updated by the software authors.
But in the case of a favorite software application that you love that is not upgraded anymore, why can you not just install it?

Or, why not just have a workaround, similar to the one I found online for MasterCook?
A couple of simple changes to the program makes it Vista usable.
mc6help.tripod.com...

Can these changes for MasterCook also make other applications acceptable to Vista?

?? thoughts ??

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Maybe... You could also try right click, choose run as, choose run as windows xp.

That doesn't work for everything... just sometimes. (I know, Vista is a pain
)

A couple of versions of MasterCook are actually Vista compatible.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I actually got MasterCook 9 to work on Vista, following the instructions in the link I posted.
Transferred my Cookbook from my old version ( I had it saved to a thumb drive). Just couldn't get my Ingredients to transfer

I'll try either the run as XP, or the right click suggestions for MasterCook. (What I'm trying to do is install FitDay, BTW.)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
MyIngredients will probably be a database, so if you can't transfer it it's going to be difficult. Do you have a fair size hard drive? Than you can always consider dual booting xp.

That way you can use xp if needed and otherwise use vista.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I actually got MasterCook 9 to work on Vista, following the instructions in the link I posted.
Transferred my Cookbook from my old version ( I had it saved to a thumb drive). Just couldn't get my Ingredients to transfer

I'll try either the run as XP, or the right click suggestions for MasterCook. (What I'm trying to do is install FitDay, BTW.)

I believe I got Fitday to run under Vista - original install (no SP upgrades)

Just installed it as 'administrator'. Fitday version is 1.0.0.6 build 1761

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks, badge.
Did you get all you old files to transfer?

I hate like heck to get another similar program. I like Fitday a lot and nothing else really compares.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ambushrocks
Do you have a fair size hard drive? Than you can always consider dual booting xp.

That way you can use xp if needed and otherwise use vista.

I originally thought about that, but BestBuy told me that would negate my warranty

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hmmm... I don't know anything about American consumer laws (I'm dutch). But I must say it's stupid that it would negate your warantz. I mean... software wise you should be allowed to do with your pc whatever you like right?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ambushrocks

What that has to do with is the warranty.

If you monkey with the computer, you lose your warranty.

She does own the computer, but if she tries to dual-boot it and hoses the computer, they will not fix it for free.

:shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk::shk:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I understand that but there are more kind of software applications that are more likely to mess up your system than dual booting it, and they aren't forbidden. And yet it's okay to install them but it's not okay to install software by a market leading company? That puzzles me.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm not sure I follow the need to have a 'dual boot'.

With the cheapness and speed of USB drives, not to mention additional drive bays, why not just install XP on a different drive?

I'd be surprised if you couldn't install it to a fast USB multi-Gig drive. That wouldn't have any bearing on the original PC.

Once you had it installed, you could re-direct the cache files to your internal drive if that was faster.

Has anybody ever tried installing to an external USB drive? What about installing it to an 8 gig flash drive, like one of those key ring thumb drives?

Oh. Wait

Not for the faint of heart. Nevermind.

So that leaves installing it to a second hard drive. That would mean opening the case which might be against warranty.

However, I don't know if I'd let a warranty from BestBuy deter. It's probably no worth the paper it's printed on trying to recover on the basis of the terms even if your machine broke in a way that was 'supposedly' covered.

On the Fitday question, I don't know what you mean about 'get all files to transfer'. Um, if you mean the data files, from when you were running the PC version on another machine, I never tried that; I'd have to look over the import/export functions of the program. I don't use it - I find it's tedious over the on-line version. I was talking about a new installation. If you want more specific info, please U2U me.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Badge, I had the pay version of Fitday, which runs like MasterCook.
I transferred the files from my old computer to a thumb drive and then to the new computer. I had a LOT of foods added, and also recent entries.
Seems to be working okay.
*knock on wood*

Of course, that was after I installed and gave myself permission in the Properties, and also in Program Files Properties.

I don't plan on installing XP, and especially after the BestBuy guy made that comment.
(Not that I haven't gotten conflicting stories from various Geek Squad guys :shk: )
FWIW, I wasn't that impressed with XP. (Now that I have all my favorite software running
that is!!)
I was reminded of that when I saw how loooong it takes to log in and out of XP

~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as opening the case, that is not specifically against warranty, as far as I know.
I have added memory, and that is discussed on the M$ website.

top topics

join