It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Consciousness Experiment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
[Original post replaced with updated info]

The Experiment
This thread is an experiment testing a somewhat "paranormal" effect observed by Art Bell. When a large number of people simultaneously concentrate on a single event happening (such as the weather changing, etc.), it has been known to mysteriously come true, as though the collective concentration of a large enough number of minds can actually manipulate time/space at will.

As far-fetched as this concept may seem, this experiment intends to simply try this alleged effect out through the participation of ATS's large and helpful community. If you would like to participate, all you need to do is concentrate on the specified event (which will be posted below), at the appropriate time.

Personally, I'm skeptical, yet optimistic. If early experiments are successful, we will be able to attempt more and more ambitious experiments, as more and more people will most likely participate. If unsuccessful, then no harm is done and only a few seconds time is wasted on your part.

The Time
The scheduled time for "the experiment" is currently March 29, 2008, at 6:00 PM (California time). For a time-zone independent countdown, click this link:

Experiment Countdown

At the exact time, everyone who wants to participate is suggested to concentrate on the chosen event (below) happening. Don't worry about how long it has to be - just think about it for as long as you want and you're done.

The Event
No event has been chosen yet. You can expect this to be updated when a decision is made (if you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them!)

[edit on 23-3-2008 by ac500]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm in. I'm always game to participate in experiments. My ex didn't like it so much. He almost had a heart attack the day he came home from work and found a huge barn spider floating in alcohol sitting in a dish on the kitchen counter. He built me a little lab out in the shed after that.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Great. If we can gather enough interest in this then it might very well give some interesting results.

BTW, forgive my ignorance, but what was a huge barn spider in alcohol floating in a dish supposed to accomplish?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ac500

I was saving it to dissect it. I had to go to work, so I just left it on the kitchen counter. He got a little freaked out.

I was just explaining my experimental nature.

[edit on 3/23/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Ah, ok, sounds like fun

BTW we'll also need to decide on an event to "concentrate" on, so if anyone has any opinions on this, please put it up for discussion. It should probably be something insignificant (causes no harm), yet unusual (not easily attributed to coincidence).

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Does anyone work at the White House? I'd like to try giving George Bush projectile diarrhea at his next press conference.

[edit on 3/23/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
lol. Wouldn't work though, we need something unusual

But seriously, it should also be something easily verifiable in the event that the experiment does work.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

NIce way to derail a thread guys. Something that I thought possibly interesting will now be sidelined yet again when I see attitudes like this.
Keep your politics where it belongs.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ac500

When's the last time you saw the POTUS super-poop his pants on live television? I'd pay to see that just because it's George Bush, especially after his father barfed in that poor man's lap over in Japan. What a pair.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

I'm not trying to derail the thread. I'm having a Sunday morning laugh. I'm absolutely game for this experiment, whatever focus may be chosen.

So, back to business - what event should we select as the focus of the experiment?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm up for this experiment!

Shall we start with sending fame and fortune my way.

Or world Peace is always a favorite in these kind of threads.

Or could we concentrate on having my exwife give me back all my stuff.

Am I being to selfish here?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
A little joking is OK, though we probably should try to keep the thread serious and scientific, especially when the experiment actually begins.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Sounds very interesting. I would participate. I like the one where we all send fame and fortune to whaaa. If it works, then we can repeat the process for all of the participants.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yeah, though you might not get as much universal cooperation out of that one
. Besides if it takes 1000 people to make a difference, what good is it going to do to benefit just one person at a time?

We should probably start small. World peace is a good cause, but even if this ridiculous idea of mass consciousness having manipulative powers is true, I doubt even several thousand people participating would have any effect on something of such a large magnitude.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
something unusual would be if we turned the moon purple or green. of course the moon wouldn't actually be that color, but maybe we could conjure up some sort of energy in the atmosphere that changes its appearance.

you'll need some bigger type experiment like that for everyone else to help verify the results. it'll help credibility and validity if we all succeed.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
that sounds exciting count me in and let me know whats going on great ideal
remember everyone would have to know exactly what to focus on tho

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ac500

Hey I'm glad you received more response from this forum

I'd like to participate. When can we start?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
There is an ongoing scientifically controlled intention experiment on the web.

The Intention Experiment is a series of scientifically controlled, web-based experiments testing the power of intention to change the physical world.

Link

[edit on 23-3-2008 by etshrtslr]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Edit: etshrtslr: Interesting, I didn't know there was something like this currently going on. I'll check it out.

Edit #2: Very interesting. It seems they achieved good results that would seem to indicate this effect exists. Still, I think we should try our own experiment here at ATS, since I think we can choose a slightly more exciting event than making plants grow

biggie smalls: We can start as soon as we decide on an action and when there are enough people ready to participate. It seems that there is a general interest in this sort of thing which is good, so now we just need to get the word out I guess. Don't know how that'll work. Maybe I should add a poll or something so we can get an idea how many people are willing to participate.

you'll need some bigger type experiment like that for everyone else to help verify the results. it'll help credibility and validity if we all succeed.

Obviously, the bigger the better, but I'm sure there's a limit to how much you can achieve, if anything at all, based on how many people participate. For example if there's a 1 in 1000 chance for something to happen, having 1000 people participate might reduce that to 50/50 chance. I don't know.

Obviously the more people the better. I don't know what it would take for more people to become aware of this "experiment", but either way we should probably start with something small due to the expectedly small number of people watching and participating in this experiment.

remember everyone would have to know exactly what to focus on tho

Definitely. An "official" event will be chosen for each experiment, from your suggestions. This will be made clear - obviously it won't do to have mixed goals.

I don't expect the first experiment to be anything spectacular, unfortunately, mainly because the lack of a huge audience as with Art Bell's experiment. However I am hopeful that with success, the number of participants will grow and so will the experiment, if successful.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
it appears we are not bound to the ordinary with our intention...

Our first experiment was carried out at a London Conference on March 11, where 400 of our attendees sent intention to increase the light emissions of a geranium leaf at the University of Arizona. Our intention was to make the leaf ‘glow and glow’.

The results were highly significant, compared to the control — so much so that the difference can be seen on photographs taken by the lab’s special CCD imaging systems.

www.theintentionexperiment.com...

i think this is where we should start. take an ordinary object and try to alter it somehow, but in a way that cannot be possible without the explanation of our manipulation. it should probably be something small, where you can video or photograph before and after shots of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join