It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mahabharata, Evidence of Ancient Nuclear Wars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Gawd...vimanas aren't temple roof tops......what freakin nonsense. I'm an Indian, and believe me, vimanas mean flying vehicles. Even the airport in hindi means Viman-sthal. Vimana means an air craft!!!!
The Mahabharata epic is no hoax. I guess its a bit unruffling that there has been a mention of ariel vehicles and powerful projectiles around 3000 bc, long before da vinci even thought of desingning an aircraft!
But its true, even though poor evidence exists in this regard, I guess unlike fairy tales we do not speak of flying humans/demons, we describe flying vehicles...which is more believable

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Gawd...vimanas aren't temple roof tops......what freakin nonsense. I'm an Indian, and believe me, vimanas mean flying vehicles. Even the airport in hindi means Viman-sthal. Vimana means an air craft!!!!

I note you're from Amsterdam. Hindi may not be your first language so you may have misheard the words. In Hindi, the word for "airport" is "vAnaspatika" and the word for plane/aircraft is vAyuyAna.

Check it out for yourself: www.wordanywhere.com...

("sthal" is not a word ending in Hindu. In the Germanic languages, yes... not in Hindu.)

...I guess unlike fairy tales we do not speak of flying humans/demons, we describe flying vehicles...which is more believable

Interesting, since there are paintings (this one from the Ramayana) that show demons flying: www.learnnc.org...

And Hanuman flies, and the demon who caught Rama's wife also flew. Then there's the flying horse: doormann.tripod.com/fly_horse.htm ... and many others.

We must have read different books... mine certainly had tales where demons flew by various means (none of them aircraft.)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hey Byrd,
I'm Indian...familiar with Hindi and Tamil..two of the oldest Indian languages after Sanskrit let me correct you .."vimana" means a flying machine(something like an aeroplane) in Hindi and in Tamil,the equivalent word is "vimanam"...these words exist even today....well..."vimanas" aren't temple roof tops....but "viharas" are...the ancient Indian epics are not fake...several proofs of The Ramayana and The Mahabharata can be found in India...for example...in Ramayana...the mentioning of the bridge connecting India and Sri Lanka has been proved...these texts are poetical and hence may have phrases like..the god of the ocean made the rocks float...but relating it with science..you can easily figure out that rocks capable of floating on water were dropped to build the bridge..

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Electrifier

You're talking about "Adam's Bridge"?
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...
www.internationalreporter.com...

Was the Bering Sea land bridge also created by gods?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think a key phrase from his response needs to be remembered:

these texts are poetical and hence may have phrases like..the god of the ocean made the rocks float...

unless you WERE asking about poetic ways of describing...

edit on 10/2/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Maybe you can interpret this for me then;

you can easily figure out that rocks capable of floating on water were dropped to build the bridge

Yes, I know pumice floats. That's not the point.

edit on 10/2/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If it was surrounded by other poetic descriptions, I would say it was something hard like stone that floated.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I thought the poster was claiming that Hanuman's bridge actually was built.
My apologies if I misinterpreted.
hanuman.tribe.net...

edit on 10/2/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think think we are just differing in our interpretation. I sort of took "built by gods" as the earth "built" something of a temporary land bridge, like as you mentioned, at the Bering.
Or like saying the Grand Canyon was "carved in the land by the gods" isn't saying some old super-intendant of the earth type person sat around carving at miles of the ground.

Mix superstitions, legends, and myths together with poetry and you're not going to get something that can seriously be read as literal.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I agree...completely.

the ancient Indian epics are not fake...several proofs of The Ramayana and The Mahabharata can be found in India

Again, if I'm wrong, I apologize but it sounds like the claim is the the Ramayana is a literal history, not a myth.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And again I just think I took what he said differently. I think he was saying a lot of the "What" that is covered in Hindu texts may have occured or existed, but the "How and why, and true nature of What" is not reflected.
Yes the Ganges had a point when it started to flow, and the Himalayas gradually rose from the ground--but the reasons are explained in poetic terms....not literal. But the actual river and the mountains are and were real.
Like, say, an ancient bridge, naturally occuring or so ancient that the origin was mythologized.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by Hanslune
Sadly not a screw, bolt or knicknack from a Vimana has been found, nor any infrastructure to support same.

Yeah, even if the verses weren't hoaxed, the descriptions of these fantastical flying machines would certainly imply a fairly large support structure would have been necessary to keep them zooming around. People just don't understand context. You need sophisticated manufacturing and maintenance sites, complete with housing and support for the people working on the things. You can't just have what would be the equivalent of a modern jet just pop into history out of nowhere, fully developed and ready to fly. Unless it blew in from the future or something.

But even then, in order for it to keep flying, it would still require large facilities where it would be maintained and fueled. Any evidence of that? As you said, none at all.

I've researched this a little and recently I watched a documentary that claimed Vimana were alien ships. I don't recall if the Vimana were the jets or the city ships, but I know there were three floating city ships.

I need to go find the documentary

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
currently i am sort of reading the Mahabharata, and i came across some interesting text while reading:

"And he was the originator of a thousand arts, the engineer of the immortals, the maker of all kinds of ornaments, and the first of artists. And he it was who constructed the celestial cars of the gods, and mankind are enabled to live in consequence of the inventions of that illustrious one. "

book 1 section LXVI

"Those cars, looking like the changeful forms of vapour in the sky, with their royal riders slain, are falling down like the celestial cars of the denizens of heaven upon the exhaustion of the latter's merits."

book 8 section 46

these are only 2 exerpts i could remember, there are many more mentions of "celestial cars" and "flying through space".

i bet they translate back to vimana

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reignite
"And he was the originator of a thousand arts, the engineer of the immortals, the maker of all kinds of ornaments, and the first of artists. And he it was who constructed the celestial cars of the gods, and mankind are enabled to live in consequence of the inventions of that illustrious one. "

book 1 section LXVI

"Those cars, looking like the changeful forms of vapour in the sky, with their royal riders slain, are falling down like the celestial cars of the denizens of heaven upon the exhaustion of the latter's merits."

book 8 section 46

these are only 2 exerpts i could remember, there are many more mentions of "celestial cars" and "flying through space".

i bet they translate back to vimana

You'd win that bet.

I can't thank you enough for providing Book and Section for your quoted text. With all the wild claims, it's really impossible to tell who's serious and who's full of it regarding the Vedas without citations like yours.

Anyway, have you read the wiki article on vimanas? Very informative:
Vimanas

Harte

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

thanks, there is much in that link left to search through there; currently i am almost halfway along the first book, and there's plenty of quotes very interesting.

here is a link i just found, it covers quite a few quotes on this subjects, but of course far from all of it:

ancient aeronautics

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

thanks, there is much in that link left to search through there; currently i am almost halfway along the first book, and there's plenty of quotes very interesting.

here is a link i just found, it covers quite a few quotes on this subjects, but of course far from all of it:

ancient aeronautics

Your link is a good example of why I was so grateful for your citations.

Glancing through the quotations there, I find several mistakes.
The quote about Dhruva Maharaja "passing through space," for example:

While Dhruva Maharaja was passing through space, he saw, in succession, all the planets of the solar system, and on the path he saw all the demigods in their vimanas showering flowers upon him like rain.

actually reads:

On his way passing one after another all the heavenly spheres around, was he covered by even more flowers, here and there showered on him by the ones enlightened from their own elevated positions. (35) Surpassing the three worlds traveling by God, he even went beyond the great sages, after which the accomplished Dhruva then achieved the refuge of Vishnu.

The differences here are usually dismissed by claiming that the former is Protap Chandra Roy's translation, while the latter is Ganguli's.

Problem is, Roy never translated the Mahabharata. He was the one that hired Ganguli to do it. So both "translations" are the same, exact text.

So, why the difference? To make the tale even wilder than it is, someone has altered the thing.

BTW, they never mention that Dhruva Maharaja's "journey" was to heaven, do they? This is what he "saw" after he died.

The Roy-Ganguli thing is not widely known. It wasn't due to any fraud - Roy is often credited with the translation because he was erroneously listed as the translator (instead of the publisher) on one of the older editions of the English translation of the Mahabharata.

Good luck wading through all of this vedic stuff anyway.

Harte

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

as he mentions in detail in the translator's preface, but what are you trying to point out?
edit on 4/10/10 by Reignite because: oops i forgot a word

edit on 4/10/10 by Reignite because: removing the word i forgot previously

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
just found another quote:

"And the famous and bright wheels of Bharata's car, invincible and like unto the wheels of the cars owned by the gods, traversed every region, filling the whole Earth with their rattle."

Mahabharata, Book 1, section LXXIV

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

as he mentions in detail in the translator's preface, but what are you trying to point out?

From your link:

This is always the case in P. C. Roy's translation of the Mahabharata (i.e., if a passage contains the word "vimana," it is from one of the alternate sources listed below). All excerpts from the Ramayana are from Manatha Nath Dutt's translation (who uses the term "vimana"). The Puranas are from Richard L. Thompson's work "Alien Identities".

There exists no such translation.
Again:

Yudhishthira's Ascent to Heaven
From Protap Chandra Roy's translation of the Mahabharata

P.C. Roy never translated the Mahabharata.

What am I pointing out? Exactly what I said, the quote about the ascension of Dhruva Maharaja after his death has been reworded and is not the same as the one from the claimed translation.

In other words, it's wrong. Wrong on purpose.

This is why I appreciated your citations of book and verse. So that people might read for themselves instead of having to rely on posters (such as the one you linked ) that are basically quoting David Hatcher Childress' dreck.

Harte

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Ok, well i don't know about that particular ascension, so i guess you are right about that one?

But there still remain many magnificent quotes and passages listed in the Mahabharate that have been correctly translated. Some of them really resemble history lessons of other races.
edit on 11/10/10 by Reignite because: remove some useless quote info

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join