It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Police chief wants refuge in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
>Guys if you don't ask your congress for help on the Mexican border issue, then this will go deeper then Texas and it will keep moving north.

ALBUQUERQUE — The police chief of a Mexican border town racked by smuggling-related violence fled to the U.S. seeking asylum after his deputies abandoned him, federal officials said Friday.
Emilio Perez, the chief of Palomas, Mexico, showed up at the international port of entry in Columbus, N.M., late Tuesday, saying his two deputies had left the department and that he now needed protection, too, according to Doug Mosier, a U.S. Border Patrol spokesman in El Paso.
Source

The drug cartels are paying off the Mexican governments and lawmakers. Which makes them a couple of steps ahead of straight cops. There is only so much the straight cops can do before they give into these drug cartels. Their families are at risk and so are the people in Texas.

WASHINGTON – The Bush administration and law enforcement officials appealed to Congress on Thursday to approve a $1.4 billion foreign-aid package to Mexico – assistance they say is needed to stabilize a region rocked by a renewed surge in drug violence.
Source

Your country is giving away money that it should keep to help it's citizens. I am Canadian and I can see what is happening here. If you can't see it then we have a major problem. It will keep on spreading like an HIV virus. I urge you to contact your congress with this issue. It is a very important issue and it is currently being overlooked.

I'm not sure if you guys remember the 2 border patrol agents who are still serving jail times for shooting a fleeing drug smugglers. Here:

After a hearing in New Orleans, an appeals court judge says federal prosecutors may have overreacted in their case against former border agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean. The two men are serving lengthy prison sentences for shooting a fleeing drug suspect.

Judge E. Grady Jolly is one of three judges in the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals hearing the appeals. He questioned whether the two agents would have been charged if they had reported the shooting. "For some reason, this one got out of hand, it seems to me," Jolly said of the agents' prosecution. He said it seems "that the government overreacted" in the prosecution that led to a 12-year prison term for Compean and an 11-year term for Ramos.
Source

News agencies are afraid to speak because they fear the drug cartel. I mean look at what has happened:

It was almost a year ago that three masked gunmen armed with grenades and assault rifles stormed into the newsroom at El Manana, a daily paper in the border town of Nuevo Laredo, killing one reporter and leaving a second paralyzed for life.

These days El Manana's newsroom is protected by a bulletproof barrier, but its effect is largely symbolic, as much as anything a barrier of silence, a statement of what can't be said. The atmosphere among reporters and residents of this Mexican town of about 500,000 is still one of fear and wariness.

Reporters say they have given up reporting on narcotics trafficking and the government and police corruption that accompany it.
Source

If nothing is done about this then the cartel will continue to grow and purchase businesses, and eventually have enough money to recruit a huge army.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm not American, but this seems fairly typical of how things have worked in the past, with the Italian Immigrants and the Mafia, for example.

The only difference between then and now is that people are aware of the problems immigrants can bring with them.

It was only a matter of time before things at the border started getting serious - if the cartels do manage to set up a foothold, you can probably expect those border patrols to steadily decline in frequency.

Next thing you know it isn't an immigration problem anymore, but an immigration crisis.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

These guys are going to keep growing and recruiting there is no doubt about it. Either the government take strict action now or the hard way later when they become too big.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Ah, kinda.

Except if they don't deal with it by the end of 2008 it really will be too big to deal with through small-scale actions.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

It's not an emigration problem, it's a drugs (and related economics) problem.

Common people seek other countries to have a better life for themselves and for their families, but when people must flee their country because of the crime rate it's a different problem.

Those Mexican drug cartels run most of some areas because they can afford it, and they can afford it because of the money they get for the drugs. These drugs are sold everywhere where there is enough money to buy them (there are not that many drug addicts on poorer regions), and the US is the richest country available to those drug cartels.

Stopping (or at least reducing) the money they get from their drug sales will make them loose power, and when they do then common people can start living as they did before, and the more common people there is and the less waste of money on drugs and guns makes for more money available to the society, and if that money is applied in a good manner then people do not need to go to another country to have a good life.

I know this may be a simplistic way of seeing these things, but they are all connected.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It is a drug problem. The thing people don't see is these drug cartels will start buying legit businesses once the dollar starts to drop. That is the scary part, they will buy out companies and start to run them. Store money now and when the economy starts turning to crap they can start purchasing businesses and wait for the economy to pick up again. Not much is being done about it either.
The government is tossing money to the Mexican government who no one knows could be paid by the cartel.

It is really scary!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
star and flag
This is an interesting story to follow. It makes you wonder who is in control, who is wagging whose tale.

The problem must be much deeprer then it appears. If it unravels I wonder whose political interest will be trumped?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The government knows full well that the border is porous and that drug running is rampant. We the populace know full well that the government deliberately does nothing to stop this. After all they set aside money to build a fence and then the Bush admin. never built it.

Why?

I can only draw one conclusion. The government likes the drug running. That would only make sense if they are either in on it and or profiting from it.

It would fit what DEA informants like Michael Levine have revealed.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Mexico is heading for a civil war and like in 1910 millions will die the poor that survive will continue being poor and the rich will continue being rich. Drugs are money and rich people like money. While people, both in the US and Mexico suffer. You know you cant drive in a new truck in Matamoros, a border town in Mexico, without being stopped by one of the Cartels or Zetas trying to steal it from you? And they act as cops. Hell the cops areeither working with or scared of these guys. With good reason too as some of them are former Special Forces.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

It was the House apropriations commitee that stopped the funding..NOT the Bush administration. The house Democrats funded it just long enough for it to leave the scrutiny of the media. When they lost interest the Democrats stepped in and didn't fund the rest of the fence. They did this by bringing back all the enviormental issues that had been cleared away by the first legislation that was passed.

Zindo

[edit on 5/14/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

That's an interesting detail I was not aware of. I've heard many folks, even supposed conservatives blame the Bush administration for this. Still the Bush folks favor amnesty and business as usual on the border. So I don't particularly trust them with securing our borders.

In fact where is the politician who wants to do any of these vital things:
1) Secure our borders
2) End unfair trade with slave labor camp nations
3) End the dependency on foreign oil

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Your going to have to invade Mexico.

Just to put their house back in order.

top topics

join