It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we focus on the negative?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I was just wondering why the board chooses to send you a U2U when someone chooses you as a foe, but not one when someone chooses you as a friend. We also see when someone has been warned, but there is no equivalent tag for when someone gets an applause.

Not a big deal really, I was just curious. Perhaps others wondered as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
You should be getting a U2U when someone selects you as a friend, I believe, unless it was changed since I last was made a friend...

Semper

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I have never got one for a friend, only foe. I just added you, did you get one?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

We used to get friend/foe notices, but now only foes are notified.

The reasoning behind only notifying foes involved the frequency of such an occurrence.

People have more friends than foes. Foes were intended to be a rare happenstance, and friends were supposed to be much more often. In my experience, this is true.

[edit on 3/23/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I guess I am just not popular enough to understand the burden it must be to be overwhelmed with friend notices

I guess I just see it as an odd choice to eliminate the notification of positive news but leave the negative. Oh well, thanks for the response though.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Haha I wish. I add friends often as I like people's responses and may only agree with one of their posts.

"Popularity" doesn't really mean anything. If you make great posts, you will be recognized. And that includes applauses.

The only thing I'd like to see regarding applauses is a personal record so we can see what posts deserved the applause.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hahaha! Some funny posts here!

I have equal foes to friends I believe

Great thread topic as I have been wondering the same thing!

Even though in the 4+ years of posting I have only ever recieved one applause
I was happy cuz I DID get a u2u for it!

Although it sounds like that has changed? I dunno.

I am still trying to figure out what expands my experience bar. Still trying to figure out if it's HP or Mana, as I noticed the color changes, but I don't know why and how. Can anyone explain it to me

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

"Popularity" doesn't really mean anything. If you make great posts, you will be recognized. And that includes applauses.

**Lowers his head in shame, and thrusts his katana into his stomach... his one applause falls gracefully onto the white marble floors of Vahall**

The only thing I'd like to see regarding applauses is a personal record so we can see what posts deserved the applause.

Hey not a bad idea there

[edit on 023131p://23u09 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Great posts aren't always noticed. There's over 3,000 posts each day. There aren't nearly enough moderators here to applaud every worthwhile post.

It helps using pictures, graphs, and providing multiple source material though.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Great posts aren't always noticed. There's over 3,000 posts each day. There aren't nearly enough moderators here to applaud every worthwhile post.

It helps using pictures, graphs, and providing multiple source material though.

Yeah totally. I am amazed by the Mods in ATS in general. I talk and read alot of online forums, and ATS really does have it going on in that department... spanning the years of my membership. I am sure they get swamped too

So are you saying I should add some glittery Myspace bling to my posts?
j/k

Speaking of images, when I use the IMG tag (with one of these [] bad boys) it still adds an external link to the image. Can you tell me how to add it inline?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Friend/Foe Allie/Enemy Right/Wrong Left/Right Up/Down Good/Bad Happy/Sad, one defines the other what I wouldn't do for a real Foe, a really Bad Enemy that was 100% Wrong. All I keep running into is other ants trying to make there way over this mole hill. It worries me because when I realize how much we need opposition to define what we are,who we are and what we are about, it presents the possibility that we need conflict/opposition and may be the creators of much of it.

Am I Wrong or just off topic?

One thing for sure, I sure hope all these conspiracies, aliens and dooms day expectations are not just figments of the imaginations of a bunch o ants in need for crisis.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

HUH...???

Darn, I guess it was changed....

A lot of things aren't conducive to the smooth running of a board as large as this, and growing as fast is at is, I suppose this was one of those...

I'm going to have to start checking my Profile for new friends...

By the by, the FMSE of a Forum can give out applauses as well and with a "NIFTY" 1500 points attached....

I know I am always looking for good solid quality submission in the Conservative Forum... (Shameless plug on my part)

Semper

new topics

top topics

join