It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming ended in 1998!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Global warming ended in 1998!!!!!!

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

Last Monday - on ABC Radio National, of all places - there was a tipping point of a different kind in the debate on climate change. It was a remarkable interview involving the co-host of Counterpoint, Michael Duffy and Jennifer Marohasy, a biologist and senior fellow of Melbourne-based think tank the Institute of Public Affairs. Anyone in public life who takes a position on the greenhouse gas hypothesis will ignore it at their peril.

Duffy asked Marohasy: "Is the Earth stillwarming?"

She replied: "No, actually, there has been cooling, if you take 1998 as your point of reference. If you take 2002 as your point of reference, then temperatures have plateaued. This is certainly not what you'd expect if carbon dioxide is driving temperature because carbon dioxide levels have been increasing but temperatures have actually been coming down over the last 10 years."

Duffy: "Is this a matter of any controversy?"

Marohasy: "Actually, no. The head of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has actually acknowledged it. He talks about the apparent plateau in temperatures so far this century. So he recognises that in this century, over the past eight years, temperatures have plateaued ... This is not what you'd expect, as I said, because if carbon dioxide is driving temperature then you'd expect that, given carbon dioxide levels have been continuing to increase, temperatures should be going up ... So (it's) very unexpected, not something that's being discussed. It should be being discussed, though, because it's very significant."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Like I have said over and over agian. So-called Global Warming is nothing than NORMAL heating and cooling cycles.

Can we all finally agree that we are not going to burn to death, as most liberal blow hards like Algore would have you believe!!!!!!!!!!

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I dont give a crap if we are to blame or not, but you cant deny that the ice caps are shrinking (melting), very rapidly. The balance of the weather is off. If it is going to fix its self remains to be seen.

Its never about pointing the finger but lifting a hand to help.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by Optix]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

An article stating global warming is false doesn't deny our pollution of this planet.

Whether you like it or not, we are in for a ride. Do I believe in "global warming?" No not really. However, I can at least admit we are going through an interesting time with the weather and will be seeing rapid changes.

What about our CO2 emissions? China recently surpassed the US as the largest producer of carbon dioxide.

There may have been more CO2 present in the atmosphere in the past, but not in the past 100,000 years.

Can we all finally agree that we are not going to burn to death, as most liberal blow hards like Algore would have you believe

I think your statement is highly misguided. No one has said we're going to burn to death. Al Gore is not exactly the most trustworthy person in the world, and you don't have to be a "liberal" to pay attention to the weather.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I feel sorry for poor old Al Gore don't you?His little carbon credit scam will not garner the vast fortune he expected.
Every where you look on the net you see scientists talking about normal sun cycles.Yet there are Gov officals pushing for a special tax on fuel to research global warming.All they want is in our pockets,money,money,money!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Actually they have not taken into consideration the oceans warm up and travel to the Arctic which is then cooled by the glaciers and then cools down the planet. That is what is happening. It is not our fault, but we did speed up the process. If you look under the Arctic I'm positive you will find dead trees. Which means that at one point in the Earth's life there must have been a nice weather there. Then the climate shifted and we live here and the arctic is frozen.

Think of the world like an assembly belt, it pushes water to the N.Pole, and the South Pole, and since it cools the water down, this affects the world by making it colder.

(The Day after tomorrow)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
All they want is in our pockets,money,money,money!!!!

No kidding! They need to take the money they spend on War machines and use it to clean up pollution instead of Death, Death, research and Death.

Tax breaks for companies that recycle 90% of their waste and if they don't ...double tax them.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by Optix]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Im sure i read once over that we you couldn't increase the amount of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere!

Something todo with the make up of our atmosphere and the way the world works...

# The earth's atmosphere is a very thin layer wrapped around a very large planet.

# Two gases make up the bulk of the earth's atmosphere: nitrogen (), which comprises 78% of the atmosphere, and oxygen (), which accounts for 21%. Various trace gases make up the remainder

this would mean that carbon dioxide is still and should always be a trace gas

Carbon dioxide (chemical formula: CO2) is a chemical compound composed of two oxygen atoms covalently bonded to a single carbon atom. It is a gas at standard temperature and pressure and exists in Earth's atmosphere in this state. It is currently at a globally averaged concentration of approximately 383 ppm by volume in the Earth's atmosphere,[1] although this varies both by location and time. Carbon dioxide is an important greenhouse gas because it transmits visible light but absorbs strongly in the infrared.

Carbon dioxide is produced by all animals, plants, fungi and microorganisms during respiration and is used by plants during photosynthesis. This is to make sugars which may either be consumed again in respiration or used as the raw material for plant growth. It is, therefore, a major component of the carbon cycle. Carbon dioxide is generated as a byproduct of the combustion of fossil fuels or vegetable matter, among other chemical processes. Inorganic carbon dioxide is output by volcanoes and other geothermal processes such as hot springs.

Carbon dioxide in earth's atmosphere is considered a trace gas currently occurring at an average concentration of about 385 parts per million by volume or 582 parts per million by mass. The mass of the Earth atmosphere is 5.14×1018 kg [14], so the total mass of atmospheric carbon dioxide is 3.0×1015 kg (3,000 gigatonnes). Its concentration varies seasonally

now although human activity is causing CO2 to increase because the oceans dissolve the gas CO2 should remain a trace gas in our atmosphere.

apc

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I welcome the wacky weather and climactic changes. So far this is what I've observed over the past decade or so in my locale: shorter winters.

That is AWESOME! At least a full month has been added to the growing season.

I will be thoroughly disappointed if the warming trend has indeed stopped or even reversed. I'm looking forward to sowing early next month instead of at the end.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I welcome the wacky weather and climactic changes. So far this is what I've observed over the past decade or so in my locale: shorter winters.

That is AWESOME! At least a full month has been added to the growing season.

Shorter winters are a death sentence. Without good snowpacks in the mountains, all the major freshwater sources are gone... this trend has already been spotted.

Even if temperature has hit it's peak, the difference is still enough to cause changes like that. And they add up. Less fresh mountain water, less irrigation, less farming, less food. On and on. We're pretty much done for once we stop having healthy winters.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

apc

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Shorter winters are just for me. In other areas winters are longer and harsher.

That's kind of the nature of climate change. Seeing as half of my state right now is under water, I'm diggin' it.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Correct me if i'm wrong but if the ice caps start melting and they starting cooling down the typical cyclic process of warmer waters heading north then would we not have another ice age on our hands just as happened about 10,000 years ago to the Clovis people?

It's easy to understand, melting ice caps means cooler oceans, if they get cool enough they stop flowing properly and no long distribute heat to certain areas of the planet, the planet cools then we have an ice age.

I never really believed in "Global Warming"

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is hardly breaking alternative news!

The so called sceptics and deniers have been going on about this for a year or more - so keen are they to display their ignorance about climate.

ACC (anthropogenic climate change) produces an underlying warming trend - that means temps can go down as well as up and ACC is still happening. Without ACC temps might well have fallen even more since 1998

Just because ACC is happening does not mean all other drivers of the climate suddenly stop! Although the so-called sceptics and deniers would have you believe that that's what the 'warmers' all think and that evidence to the contrary blows the whole global warming idea out of the water!

That said, the warmers also need to wake up to the fact that ACC is about a lot more than CO2

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have learned from years of ATS reading to put a big red flag on GW/CC posts that dedicate half the content to bashing Al Gore and Liberals. Maybe I am in the wrong here for doing so, just wanted to voice that

Originally posted by Essan

That said, the warmers also need to wake up to the fact that ACC is about a lot more than CO2

Staying within the context of greenhouse gasses, isn't methane even more effective then CO2?

[edit on 103131p://22u16 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The article says it used 2002 as a 'point of reference' right?

Can we see some objective data from 2003 and up?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Where is ALGORE? Seriously, where has this guy gone? I'm Cereal!

College graduations are right around the corner....does he get an invite? and if so where?

As goes Global Warming, so goes ALGORE.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Case in point

*a reference to my previous post*

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Case in point

*a reference to my previous post*

I only brought him up because you did. It really got me thinking...where is ALGORE? Really haven't heard from him since the Nobel Peace Prize and his fake documentary debacle.

Excelsior!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Here we go again, another "safe and sound" debunker. Who and what gives credence to this Marohasy ignoramus anyway?
In about 15 to 20 years, there will nolonger be a polar ice cap on the north pole. The Iceland glaciers are receding at an unprecedented rate. The sea level will continue to rise, and drown out Japan, Great Britain, Indonesia, Hawaii, and most of northern Canada.

In the minds of people like Marohasy, what makes them feel comfortable is blanket statements like "Now, we are experiencing a cooling, but the next few years will be a little bit warmer, and everything will be normal again." So when enough people jump on this bandwagon statement, they feel capable enough to point fingers at Al Gore and make their disparaging remarks.

The problem isn't only global warming, it's global pollution. It's not just CO2, it's carbon monoxide, sulphur compounds, arsenic, and just about everything that comes out of burning oil wells in Iraq, exploding oil refineries in Texas, Steel Mills, DOW chemical plants, mining smelters, and the machinery that supports it. Exhaust from the family sedan is a small portion of this, but still contributes to the smog condition over crowded cities.

People can believe what they want, and skew the truth, wink and nudge enough people to go along with what they're saying, and stall any kind of movement toward change.

By 2014, a fallout will begin. Rust coloured snow. It will not be just a one-year phenomenon, but instead will continue for about 12-14 years. The industry is treating the upper atmosphere like a vacuum cleaner bag, relying on the assumption that what goes up will never come back down. Over the course of a few years, lakes and rivers will run afoul will high levels of lead and mercury. The roofs on peoples homes will be unable to support this fallen sedament and begin to collapse as a result of the accumulated weight. The acidity of this sludge-like sedament will erode all plantlife over time, and wildlife will suffer. Infestation will become a big problem. It goes on and on.

Mark my words, this is an inevitable catastrophe, which I believe 90% of the world's population will never expect. And when it finally does happen, people will still try to dismiss it as a temporary phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i was watching the history channel today and they brought up the little ice age thing again and what they said mayde me think about what is going on today

they said that all the sea water is was diluted by the sudden melting of the glaciers and it disrupted the normal flow of the ocean causing temperatures to drop again rapidly and ice glaciers to grow again and i believe that this is most likely the case now once again.

wil species become extinct probably will we no
will the earth recover of course

i think we think too hihly of ourselves to think that we can totally destroy forces of nature.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join