It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking Age Could Be Lifted To 21

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Drinking Age Could Be Lifted To 21

www.news.com.au

THE legal drinking age could be lifted to 21 if attempts fail to curb binge drinking among the young, according to the Victorian Government's top alcohol adviser.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
In a way this is cool it will stop well try to calm down alot of the 18s 19s 20s year olds from drinking so heavy and doing insane things. I am now 21 so lucky for me i can still buy good timming australia. Something like this is neede because a large communitys in .au drink heavily its getting out of control.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Its been 21 here for as long as I remember, and I think thats an appropriate age. It's not exactly going to stop underage people from drinking but I do think 21 is a good age.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Well it will i na way abit it wil lbe abit harder to purchese witch means it will lower by a percentage not to great but a start it would be cool.

Australia is well none for laying down there laws @ times

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It's 19 in most Canadian provinces, and 18 in others.

I believe 19 is a good number.

To think that you can drive a car for five years before you can consume a beer is a little lopsided. Or that you can intelligently participate in the selection process of our public officials for three years before you can drink a beer.

The legal age to consent to sexual intercourse is lower than all of the aforementioned.

You can have sex before you can drive. You can drive before you can vote. And you can vote before you can have a beer.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Yeh its wierd how this world works ay i prefer 21 or older @ times to contro lsome insane humans lol its bad that there is age limit but its to control some ppl from becoming insane from beer or young pp ldoing wild things with it. i rekon the whole world should have the same age?

GO GO GO LENNON

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think the drinking age should be 18. If someone can fight for their country, they should be able to enjoy a beer or two if they wish.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

If u join the army it is your fault u know what u are getting into and by joining the army u are becoming a war robot maybe peace keeping is better then army i would prefer so maybe thay shouldent drink.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

Whoa! So if someone joins the Army they are automatically a war robot? Remember, I said military. And to not have this thread derailed, I said if you can fight for your country, you should be able to enjoy all your country has to offer, including alcohol.

The legal drinking age in the military is 18... but it is over-ruled by federal law. Therefore, military members overseas can drink prior to turning to 21, while personnel in their own country can't.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

yes MILITARY what ever part u are in u are playing apart in the death of alot of human lifes dont matter what u do if u are in it u are in it if yopur against it your not
enjoy!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If some 18 year old wants to drink he'll drink,he'll get it from somewhere no matter what age you change it to.
I do agree with putting the age to 21,even if it was just for 2 years or so because the non-smoking in public places has made a bit of difference no matter how slight.
When i was young i wasn't interested in drink until around 18 or 19 and even then i had the common sense to know the dangers of drinking to much.

Times have changed i'm afraid.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by rhynouk]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

Well it will lower the alchole leval of most young people it will lower the purchase rate.

i started drinking wene i was 19 so yeh its going well lucky i dident start wene i was 16 like alot of people do ahha

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The way I see it, 18 should be the drinking age. I'm only 16, and I've drunk a bit and became pretty tired of it, meaning I stopped drinking altogether.

Why raise it to 21 when, they will be more likely to go on a drinking binge as soon as they hit 21. Let it be 18, and let them get the urge out of them before they have to get a job or go to college ;D.

-Will

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

or we can make it over 8 and allow all kids to drink so thay get over it by time thay hit 10?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

No.. A 18 year old isn't still developing his brain.

I know you're being sarcastic, but what was the point of that?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

Thats very tru i never put it into thought.

just something i wanted to point out

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Im 18, Im in the US, and I think it should be 18. I don't see the point in making it 21. I am a legal adult. You shouldn't have the right to make laws so you can "control me" even if Im being an ass. Furthermore, personal responsibility should trump laws, not the other way around.

BTW, saadadam, please start using proper grammar. "U" and "Tru" aren't words. either is "wene". People are alot less likely to respond to posts like that.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

I dont think much people listen to rules or even understand them in sociaty now days another part of crime is people drinking and getting out of control.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
A lot of reason why people get into trouble drinking is because they haven't ever learned how to handle it, they were never taught. In many places in Europe the adult will teach the child how to drink so they know how to deal with it.

Someone who is under age is likely to get drugs even if they are illegal. Perhaps the fact that they can't do something gives them more enthusiasm to do it, and to feel that they have power.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think the point of the increase age is to stop Teenagers from drinking in clubs and pubs, there has been an ever increasing amount of violent crime directly related to drinking in CBD areas and people in or near this age group 18-20. It won't stop them drinking, but it will reduce the numbers in these venues and locations and thus the violence and crime.

"You only have to look at most triage situations, particularly over a weekend period, and see what the presentations are. Over 85 per cent of those people presenting have some form of alcohol-related cause."

So far its only one state suggesting the age be lifted.
www.news.com.au...

It needs to be national. I wonder what the AHA would think of this as they are a big supporter of The ALP on a state level, and the NSW state govt. is growing ever more reliant on Pub and Club poker machine taxes.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by atlasastro]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join