It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spontaneous Disappearance

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Man, they don't make threads like this anymore, do they.... ?
Thanks to my friend who pointed me here.

I wonder how many of the participants are still around to expand or update what they said?
(Minus Vanitas, I know she isn't.)

Anyway, I've been reading that book by Max Freedom Long, and it really is interesting.
It'd available here

edit on 6-6-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Human disappearances:
Well there's this one:
Bottom of page...7 Weirdest Human Enigmas page 1
And these here,:
Top Ten Bizarre Disappearances
As for items (inanimate objects) :
Disappearing Object Phenomena

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I don't think anyone has mentioned the case of James Worson yet. Here's the story

On September 3rd 1873, a shoemaker called, James Burne Worson from Warwickshire, England became yet another statistic of this strange phenomena.

Worson continually boasted of his superior abilities as a long-distance runner and many times stated that he could out-run anyone. Tired of listening to Worson’s claims, his two friends, linen draper Barham Wise and photographer Hamerson Burns challenged him to prove his skills. He was to run non-stop from Leamington to Coventry…a total of 40 miles.

Although Worson had consumed alcohol, he immediately accepted the challenge and began his marathon. His friends followed in a horse-drawn cart, with only a few yards distance between themselves and Worsen.

Worson seemed to be doing well for the first few miles, laughing and joking with his friends as he ran. Then all of a sudden and for no clear reason, Worson stumbled and fell forwards – letting out an unusual and horrifying cry…he then disappeared into thin air.

Horrified by what they had just witnessed, Wise and Burns scrambled from their carriage and searched frantically, but they could not find a sight or sound of their friend.

Wise and Burns rushed to the nearest town and reported their friend’s disappearance, which resulted in a thorough search of the area. However, there was no clue as to Worson’s whereabouts and after an investigation of the area the search was eventually called off. Worson was never seen again…he had simply vanished from our existence.

Source

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Karras

I for one found it very interesting to read about Flannan lighthouse again. I can always do further research if i want to. At least you tried to be helpful. Many people will never have come across the mystery before.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

OH MG Thank you I searched for that one to post along with the others and Couldn't find it (I couldn't remember his name!) Thanks that is my favorite mysterious vanishing. That and the guywhose family saw him disappear midstep (which they say was proven a hoax, but was it there's only 1 source saying it was proved a hoax).

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

No problem, that story has always intrigued me as well and there has never been any serious de-bunking of it either (not that I could find anyway) It's just a pity that it was so long ago and that they weren't following him with a video camera with a timer just to prove he actually did it, now that would have been something! (mind you if that were the case there would still be people on here claiming the vid had been faked

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
I don't think anyone has mentioned the case of James Worson yet. Here's the story

On September 3rd 1873, a shoemaker called, James Burne Worson from Warwickshire, England became yet another statistic of this strange phenomena.

Worson continually boasted of his superior abilities as a long-distance runner and many times stated that he could out-run anyone. Tired of listening to Worson’s claims, his two friends, linen draper Barham Wise and photographer Hamerson Burns challenged him to prove his skills. He was to run non-stop from Leamington to Coventry…a total of 40 miles.

Although Worson had consumed alcohol, he immediately accepted the challenge and began his marathon. His friends followed in a horse-drawn cart, with only a few yards distance between themselves and Worsen.

Worson seemed to be doing well for the first few miles, laughing and joking with his friends as he ran. Then all of a sudden and for no clear reason, Worson stumbled and fell forwards – letting out an unusual and horrifying cry…he then disappeared into thin air.

Horrified by what they had just witnessed, Wise and Burns scrambled from their carriage and searched frantically, but they could not find a sight or sound of their friend.

Wise and Burns rushed to the nearest town and reported their friend’s disappearance, which resulted in a thorough search of the area. However, there was no clue as to Worson’s whereabouts and after an investigation of the area the search was eventually called off. Worson was never seen again…he had simply vanished from our existence.

Source

Sounds like he got done in by his so called friends..

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Don't you just love such stories.... ?

But isn't it supposed to be based on a piece of fiction, like the David Lang story?
That one has been proved to be based on a short story.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Sounds like he got done in by his so called friends..

Or more likely, he never existed....
Bummer, because I really love such stories. :-)
But only if they are true.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Nothing I have ever read about it would suggest that it's fiction, but maybe that is the case. I hope not though, it's a brilliant story, though not so good for James Worson if true!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

It is brilliant, no question about that.
Sadly, it seems to be fiction. See here:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Yes, you could be right, and weird that Ambrose Bierce mysteriously disappeared himself, but sometimes writers get their inspiration from true events and sometimes from their own imagination. Guess we'll never know about this one.

But people do certainly seem to just disappear and there is no logical explanation, it's a very interesting subject.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I saw two people disappear into thin air just a few feet from me but that is only just as weird as how they appeared in the first place. They came up out of the ground as if they could move right through it... like the ground was just a pool of water they could come up out of. Clad in silver from head to toe.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I wish I could mysteriously vanish into thin air. I don't care where I end up, any place is better than here. I'd like to know where/how I could do this. Maybe I'll take a rowboat out into the middle of the Bermuda Triangle!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I wish I could mysteriously vanish into thin air. I don't care where I end up, any place is better than here. I'd like to know where/how I could do this. Maybe I'll take a rowboat out into the middle of the Bermuda Triangle!

I wish I could mysteriously disappear, then reappear in the same place, and find that all my work contracts were completed, the shopping done and put away and the house tidied....

Not gonna happen though so maybe permanently disappearing would be the best option...or just dragging my lazy backside away from the computer and just going and doing these things

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I wish I could mysteriously disappear, then reappear in the same place, and find that all my work contracts were completed, the shopping done and put away and the house tidied....

Not gonna happen though so maybe permanently disappearing would be the best option...or just dragging my lazy backside away from the computer and just going and doing these things

I hear ya.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join