It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Parasite!?!?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I was searching youtube for alien and ufo related videos as usual, and came upon this crazy video of what looks like Alien Parasites leaving the body of a grasshopper!
At first i thought, ok, must be something the grasshopper ate earlier... but I dont think so!
watch the video!
it's crazy!
and I want to know what you guys think!

this is the description from the video poster:

we were at the drunkfest when one of us killed a grasshopper(by accident
)Suddenly three black worms started to crawl out of it as you see.
we looked on the net and books what could it be,and we think these creatures are called hairworms,they are supposed to brainwash the grasshopper to jump into the water and drown,because water is worms' natural habitat.
But...apart killing some more grasshoppers and finding worms in each of them,they were also in the bugs and bigger insects that we also killed
heh
Luckily we didn't continue our research on dogs,cats and thank god not humans.
So..if any1 would know what else these creatures could be feel free to post a comment

and the video:

crazy...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
That is very weird, i have never ever seen an investation like that before in any animal that wasn't a movie, and these things where in other insects also?

Is nobody there like really worried? cos cats and dogs eat insects and other animals eat insects and we eat other animals, O.M.G.

Tooo freaky but i dont think Alien related, i hope not anyhow.

Good find gonna flag and star wanna see an explanation for this one..

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Oh man,that is truly disgusting!

Pretty lively looking worms as well,must have been uncomfortable as hell for the grasshopper!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yuck. Space herpes. Since it's on Earth, it must be looking for blood. They probably crawl up your nose while you're asleep. And lay their eggs in human brains. Thank goodness, I thought they would never get here in time to save the Earth.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Someone in the comments suggested that it's a Spinochordodes tellinii

Spinochordodes tellinii with its bush-cricket host

Cricket infected with Parasitic Gordian worm commiting suicide

Google Video Link

Anyway,

whatever it is, looks disgusting to me ...

[edit on 22/3/2008 by internos]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
maybe it was a symbiotic relationship;

with something as sacred as life : to kill and then photograph the death of a being negates much of what a conscious being is told of humanity.

thats like trying to from a different perspective making image archives of a beings process of transcendence.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
My god that is freak stuff.

But indeed it is not extraterrestrial.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
thanks for that find internos.

the video of the one in the pool definitely resembles the video I posted...
but man, 3 of them!!!

either way, I'm going to look up what you posted to see if it only infects crickets... because the people in the video said they killed other insects that had the same things inside of them!
so if this thing only infects crickets, or grasshoppers, then i would rule it out...

either way, If i lived in an area where all the insects were infected... i would be pretty creeped out...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Is nobody there like really worried? cos cats and dogs eat insects and other animals eat insects and we eat other animals, O.M.G.

I just showed my mom the video and that was here response...
she was like, "What!? people eat grasshoppers... and so do animals.. could we get infected?"

lol definitely something to think about eh?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

The nematomorph hairworm Spinochordodes tellinii is a parasitic worm whose larvae develop in Orthopteran insects. This parasite is able to influence its host's behavior. Once the parasite is grown, it causes its grasshopper host to jump into water, where the grasshopper will likely drown. The adult worm lives and reproduces in water.

The microscopic larvae develop inside their host into worms that can be several times longer than their host.

It is not known whether the process underlying the host's behaviour involves modulation of the nervous system or some other factor. Studies have indicated that grasshoppers which contain the parasite express, or create, different proteins in their brains than do uninfected grasshoppers. Some of these proteins have been linked to neurotransmitter activity, others to geotactic activity, or the body's response to changes in gravity.

SOURCE

Some of these proteins have been linked to neurotransmitter activity, others to geotactic activity, or the body's response to changes in gravity.

changes in gravity???
doesnt gravity pull at a constant rate of -9.8 m/s?

seems that any Orthopteran insects can be infected but it effects grasshoppers differently?

and if the worms reproduce in water... then why would they need to find a host?
wouldn't you think they would just stay in the water?

It's strange that an infected grasshopper would SEEK out water to drown...

sounds a lot like that movie The Faculty to me...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

They might FERTILIZE in the water, and then lay their eggs in a host.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
ha, your right, I just re read it...

so basically... the worm grows in the insect, and then uses the insect as a ride to get back to the water, where it lives out its days...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is so disturbing.. I would not want to be in any body of water if there was a remote chance those things lived in it! Im going to go look for some videos, if anyone else finds some please post.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've seen them in shallow summertime streams. We call them hair worms. If you eat crickets the worms would be the "natural flavoring". As long as you cook your grasshoppers all should be fine.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
This is so disturbing.. I would not want to be in any body of water if there was a remote chance those things lived in it! Im going to go look for some videos, if anyone else finds some please post.

There's an article on Newscientist:

Parasites brainwash grasshoppers into death dive
www.newscientist.com...

Here there's a video from canal IRD
( click here )

Two more short videos on YT

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Why "Alien parasites"?

What made you think that this was anything out of this planet?

The fact that this is something completely new to you does not imply that it is alien, or do you think that all things that you do not know are alien related?

Maybe I am overreacting to this, but why people create threads about anything on the Aliens & UFOs forum?

Why didn't you posted this on Science & Technology forum?

The only relation with aliens is the fact that they are getting out of the body of the insect like the Alien in the movie.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Well, that was the name on the video.

At any rate...

Nasty!

So much for my appetite...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Maybe I am overreacting to this

Maybe...

as Goosdawg said, its the name of the youtube video.
If the mods would like to move the thread, that is perfectly fine since we now know what these things are.

do you think that all things that you do not know are alien related?

well, the definition of Alien is something strange or foreign... so I guess I COULD relate all unknown things as being alien to me...

[edit on 22-3-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Why "Alien parasites"?

he wanted people to read his crappy thread.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
seriously?

the youtube video was labeled "Alien Parasites"

it probably took people 5 seconds to figure that out.

I don't see anyone else complaining, and the Mods are free to move the thread if its that important to you.

and what have you contributed to anything SloS13?
oh, a removed thread on Prophet Yahwhey... silly me

[edit on 22-3-2008 by Odessy]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join