It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Warns China Olympics at Risk (Update: France Considering Boycott)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

religion belief has nothing to do with the sovereignty problem.. 99% tibetans want peaceful life as citizens and never return the feudal system..

Actually it does:

1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. Article 2 of this defines genocide as;

"any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
let all that will come just come.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by wwssii]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Call me crazy, but I think that China becoming a superpower is weighing heavily on the Olympics. If it goes well without a hitch then China's prestige in the world will likely rise to the point where the world will be more accepting of China on the world stage. However, if this goes south for them then it could severely damage their prestige, holding back China for a number of years.

I've got to say kudos for Germany, hopefully more nations will start drawing some attention to the Tibet issue and other human rights problems in China. What'd be nice is if Germany would boycott the games and try getting the European Union to follow. If the EU boycotts then it'd send a huge slap to China's face, and would likely be followed by an American boycott. If the EU and the US do a joint boycott it could get the ball rolling on some real change in China.

What a naive and innocent view about China's develop rate. The fact is China developed so fast in the past 20 year which make you mad. And you expect some dirty movement to delay that. No, you will never succeed on this because China has binded her economy with western countries' . China will keep her fast developing and western countries won't take a risk on paying their own economies in this matter. So keep dreaming about this. Tell you, China is not another Soviet Union, which believed the west and eventually collapsed( Happy now? )

In a word , all you said is just another cold war thought hided in the hypocritical appearance of kindness and mercy.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Who would be really hurt in proposed boycott of Olympics?

Chinese government? Maybe.
Chinese economy? Maybe.

Athletes that trained very hard to met the high criteria for this games, and waited four years to compete? Most definitely.

Small business owners and everyday hard working people. Yes.

Chinese people who will be deprived of Olympic spirit. Yes.

Thousands of journalists who will be denied access to China and who could bring to us their views, stories and information from this country. Yes.

Us? Yes.

Using boycott for political purposes is IMO completely against Olympic spirit. Athletes are not politicians. They are ambassadors of goodwill, friendship and fair play and denying them the opportunity to bring that to Chinese is the lowest of the low.

Maybe if politicians and propagators of this boycott ran a marathon they would quickly set aside their political agendas, disputes and narrow minded views.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yanchek

What about the IOC lived up to their own Fundamental Principles of Olympism which states:

2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.

[--]

5. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

Do you really think China will improve it's human rights record just because they had the Olympic?

[edit on 24/3/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Well, it's a start.

If the Olympics change the mind of 1 man, woman, child or even a politician, it achieved its goal and served its purpose.

It's a taoist or buddhist (I'm not sure) thing.

One gives birth to two. Two gives birth to three. Three gives birth to 10000 things.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

China will keep her fast developing and western countries won't take a risk on paying their own economies in this matter. So keep dreaming about this.

Keep talking like that pityonu because westerners are starting to re-think whether they want to buy Chinese goods and all of China's prosperity is built upon exports.

What you don't understand is westerners can unite to boycott China and reverse your country's prosperity.

www.iht.com...

arstechnica.com... /20080317-great-firewall-of-china-expands-as-tibetan-riots-continue.html

China has blocked youtube, BBC and CNN on the Golden Firewall. The firewall searches for words like Tibet and Dalai Lama.

I suggest people who want to send a message to the people of China start raising the Tibetan question on forums and blogs about the Olympics so that China's Government is forced to block internet coverage of the Games in China too.

Meanwhile it is interesting that these Chinese commentators are able to read keywords like Tibet and Dalai Lama on ATS.

The fact they are able to participate in these debates suggests these Chinese commentators have unusually privileged access to the internet such as only special Government employees would have

[edit on 24-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Excactly my thought, Sy.

And noticethey are coming on in increased numbers, either just signed up or doing their 5th post since they signed up in 2005.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

But you really think China will strengthen her impact to the world and let the world know China better because Olympic. You deny to accept China's progress. Your viewpoint only stand on the past.
You are scared ,scared about the truth now in China, scared you lose reason to despite it, scared to lose morality height in politics conflict.

In this matter , you stand on the thug's side. Shame you.
Come to know the real face of the Dalai's followers-

Mod Edit: Superfluous full quote removed. 'Reply To' function used - Jak

[edit on 24/3/08 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yanchek

I still would like to believe things worked that way, but corporate power and MSN power overrules MOST willpower in this modern world.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

by Pityonu:

You deny to accept China's progress.

I don't deny it's fast development. Mostly built on the bloodshed and misery of others.

China has made no progress at all in human rights. China steals manufacturing away from western countries with cheap prison labour or factories paying minimal wages with no decent working conditions.

We choose not to trade with thugs and Nazis Pityonu. We view China as a bully and a thug in Tibet. We wonder now why we helped to liberate China from the Japanese when China invades Tibet exactly the same way as Japan invaded China.

Yes I have noticed thanks Khunmoon...

Not only that, but China's firewall would not let ordinary Chinese citizens participate in this discussion at ATS because the firewall automatically blocks keywords like Tibet and Dalai Lama.

www.iht.com...

arstechnica.com... /20080317-great-firewall-of-china-expands-as-tibetan-riots-continue.html

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

That's the illusion corporations and media are trying to sell you. You know that.

If you take a lesson from history about wars, revolutions and societal changes you can see that all those events and changes started mostly because the establishment killed or imprisoned the wrong person or a one person too many.

What we see here is media making something out of nothing and we all know sensationalism sells. You can see the impact of that on this thread, where we discuss economy, politics, oppression and wars but not the true meaning of sportsmanship that Olympics represent. I mean how can a free and democratic country want to forbid the athlete to attend these games. Athletes are not some subjects or serfs. They earned their right to attend with hard work and training. They are not just some representatives of some tribes. They are Olympians and some of them will become Olympionics.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Often athletes are paid grants by taxpayers to help them attend the games as representatives of their Country.

If their country is so offended by the conduct of the Chinese in Tibet then that society is entitled to withdraw that support.

If China wishes to pay for athletes from such countries from Chinese tax money then fine.

Of course that will make the athletes no longer amateurs, but paid mercenaries.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Oh, it's a question of tax payers now.

Well I'm a taxpayer and I say pay them all the money they need. Hell I'll give even something extra. For the taxes I pay per year I can personally send around five of them to China and back.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
An update of the torch litting ceromony.

Olympic torch lit despite protest

The Olympic torch has been lit at a ceremony in Greece that was briefly disrupted by protesters.

Two pro-Tibet activists broke through the cordon of 1,000 police officers in Olympia and attempted to display a flag as China's envoy spoke.

[--]

"The major political leaders don't want a boycott," said IOC president Jacques Rogge ahead of Monday's ceremony.

Before the ceremony, a Tibetan activist confronted Mr Rogge in a hotel lobby and said there should be free access for all media inside China, including Tibet, during the Games.

In his speech during the ceremony, Mr Rogge said the Olympic torch relay and the Games should take place in a peaceful environment.

"The torch is the link between all athletes and citizens of this world; between all of us who believe in Olympism and the virtue of sport. It has the force to unite humanity and to stand for harmony."

I admit the olympic idea to be beautiful, but in todays world, such phrasing ain't nothing but a cliché and news speak.

Here's a map of the route. It's in a rather small scale, but why isn't the American continent shown?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
nothing

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm glad you bring up the question, wwssii.

On ATS your entitled to have your opinion concerning the topics discussed as long as you express it in a decent and civil language. Sy.gunnarson's wording might be at the extreem, but still it is an opinion and his entittled to have it. Much harser wordings you can find in other threads on GW Bush and his policies, so don't be offended because of Sy's words.

Quite another case it is, if you apply similar wording on members, then you are likely to get in conflict with the T&C. You just did it, but I'll let it pass, because as a mod participating in a thread, we only do moderating in that thread in extreem and urgent situation.

Other mods are looking over this thread and I'm not sure they'll let your remark pass.

If you have more questions concerning posting praticies please feel free to send them in a u2u to me or any mod rather than ask them in the thread. It's off-topic.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
zero.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
They/we should be thinking up solution to this difference of agenda(Culture/Politics), Germany is making a strong statement with trying to bouycoting the Olympic but, think shouldn't go beyound a statment, think all countries should attend the Olympic and show the Chines the spirit of Olympic which is fairness, equality and spotmanship and, hope they will be able to accept their neighbours and treat them as they like to be treated. Todays world can not do without Culture and politics so, they should but learn to accept both.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wwssii

Well, you can do as you like.

I should have mentioned mods are also members and I'm doing this thread as a member, as such I have the same right to express my opinion as you have.

[edit on 24/3/2008 by khunmoon]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join