It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Su-25 Crash in Live Fire Exercise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Russian Air Force commander has suspended all Su-25 strike aircraft flights after a fatal crash caused the lost of aircraft and pilot's dead, in the country's Far East, Primorye Territory near the Chernigovka airbase, about 143 kilometers from Vladivostok, during a training flight with live firing exercises.

According to Russian Air Force spokesman, the aircraft has been reported to had a series of accidents caused by system failures attributed to the salvo firing of weapons.

Source

So it seems that Russia has grounded the Su-25 for now, which doesn't leave many attack aircraft in its place. The reason for the crash is still a little bit ambiguous as we don't know exactly what failed or why it would fail due to salvo firing. Still, this might be one to watch in case it's a widespread flaw in the craft.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
These include the carrier borne ones as well? Or are those Su-24s?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The SU-25 has been flying for nearly 33 years - its not a new aircraft

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
True, but it's a pretty integral one. I'm not entirely sure what else the Russians have that would directly fit the role of Su-25.

Of course, it's not like we've had troubles with some aircraft that have been around anyway that caused a major problem in the system, right? *Does not look at the F-15*
It'll be interesting to see what they do about this since they consider it important enough to halt flights.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The US did do the same when the F15`s started falling from the sky - might be some time-life failure in the wing

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
SU25 is a pretty awesome aircraft and unlike the US, russia/the soviets have been smart enough to continue development on it while the US barely have improved the A10.

Untill they can make stealth planes as sturdy as these planes they will always have a role on the battlefield.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tomcat ha

I've heard rumor from just around the mags and web that the 25 is suffering from airframe fatigue and may have heard mentioned in one of those that it may be the wings/spars etc. Really sad about the pilot. Its a sad day when any aviator pass on and our thoughts our with his family of course.

I do have to say though that I fail to see how the person stating that the A-10s haven't been updated is correct? I know of a number of system changes and upgrades of the years though it may not be as much as some would like the planes have been well looked after from what I've heard. Anyone have any experience with the planes?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
They're in the process of rewinging them, and upgrading systems on them again. I don't remember exactly what systems, and I've got too much going on right now to dig into it, but I'll post an update tomorrow on the upgrades.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
SU25 is a pretty awesome aircraft and unlike the US, russia/the soviets have been smart enough to continue development on it while the US barely have improved the A10.

RIP to the pilot.

Hmmm perhaps the A-10 did not need all that much in the way of improvment eh? While the Su-25 needed alot of help once the Afgans got thier stingers so perhaps alot of the improvements were needed ones. Also the Russians love to tinker with thier a/c so you end up with a lot of variants.

Aside from the A-10 bashing, the Su-25 is a very rugged a/c but its flight profile also tends to be hard on the airframe etc.

Anyway to know the number of hours on that airframe?

Also, as a side note the aircraft that lost the competiton to the A-10 looked alot like the Su-25 for the AX competiton and was designated the Northrop YA-9

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 3/23/08 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
star for you fred
- nice totally forgot about the A-9

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Im not bashing at all. Its just when i compare the devolpment of the A10 with the Su25 i think the Su25 got the love it deserved and the A10 didnt. Ofcourse recently that has been improved but originally they planned to put it out of service shortly after GW1.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Many neutral parties (IAF) regard the A-10 as a must-have for CAS. I'm sure that is in comparison with the Su-24/25.

We, the IAF, are stuck with MiG-27MLs for that role; hey they aren't bad, esp with the avionics upgrades, but there is a hog fan-following here, big time.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
I do have to say though that I fail to see how the person stating that the A-10s haven't been updated is correct? I know of a number of system changes and upgrades of the years though it may not be as much as some would like the planes have been well looked after from what I've heard. Anyone have any experience with the planes?

The A-10C upgrade includes Litening AT and Sniper XR pods, JDAM, WCMD, new MFDs in the cockpit, new sensors, a datalink, integrated cockpit controls, and a new central interface unit with three new processors to control stores management and overall avionics integration. It includes other "minor" things such as a new throttle for improved HOTAS, and an improved power supply.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The A-10C upgrade includes Litening AT and Sniper XR pods, JDAM, WCMD, new MFDs in the cockpit, new sensors, a datalink, integrated cockpit controls, and a new central interface unit with three new processors to control stores management and overall avionics integration. It includes other "minor" things such as a new throttle for improved HOTAS, and an improved power supply.

and its about the only major upgrade for the A10 so far.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
No, actually it's not. The A-10 has received multiple upgrades over the years. Usually not to this many systems at once, but they've gotten pretty significant upgrades through their life.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
i think what he means is that whilst there might have a number of imporvements to the allready onboard systems -the aircaft now is still the same A-10A as when it was inducted - its only with teh introduction of all those new systems at once , and a letter change to A-10C to reflect this , thats its the only major upgrade;

there isn`t the same as the F-16 block 5/10/15/20/30/40 etc etc etc

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The A-10 was never meant to be created in large numbers, which is why they don't have the block numbers like the F-16. However, there have been a few significant new upgrades. They never changed the designation to A-10B after the previous upgrades, was because they weren't large upgrades like the Precision Enhacement is. I don't have a list of all the upgrades handy right now, but there were things like the Maverick upgrade. Initially the A-10 couldn't shoot the Maverick missile. They upgraded it to be able to and gave it a very limited guided capability.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
well the YA-10B was the protype for a 2 seat night attack varient which was unbuilt

but i do concur - it was recieved upgrades over the years (as i said
)

The A-10 has received many upgrades over the years. Aircraft were upgraded with inertial navigation and a Pave Penny laser sensor (marked target seeker) pod that allowed the pilot to detect laser energy for PID (Positive Identification) of an illuminated target. The Pave Penny is a passive seeker and cannot self-designate a target for a Laser Guided Bomb (LGB). Later, the Low-Altitude Safety and Targeting Enhancement (LASTE) upgrade provided computerized weapon-aiming equipment, an autopilot, and ground-collision warning system. The A-10 is now compatible with night-vision goggles for low-light operation. In 1999, aircraft began to be given Global Positioning System navigation systems.

The A-10 is scheduled to stay in service with the USAF until 2028.[8] Beginning in 2005, the entire A-10 fleet is being upgraded to the "C" model that will include improved fire control system (FCS), electronic countermeasures (ECM), and the ability to carry smart bombs. The A-10 will be part of a service life extension program (SLEP) with many receiving new wings.[8] A contract to build 242 new A-10 wing sets was awarded to Boeing on 29 June 2007.[9] Modifications to provide precision weapons capability are well underway. Hill AFB has completed work on its 100th A-10 precision engagement upgrade in January 2008

en.wikipedia.org...

i do disagree about it not to be built in large numbers; after vietnam there was a need for a good and modern CAS aircraft - it was found the old Skyraider was far better than the then new F-4`s for that role , so a slower and more heavily armoured aircraft was wanted , as the Attack helo`s invisioned for the role simply wernt good enough - the iar force for many years hated it and wanted it offloaded to the army or marines ; but its massively impressive record in 1991 put paid to that idea once and for all.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

A Russian fighter jet that crashed last week during a training exercise was shot down by a rocket from an accompanying jet, it has emerged.

Sky News

Looks like it was a pretty serious case of pilot error that caused this aircraft to crash? Do Russia still use the Siberian gulags?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The 2 seat A-10 was built and flown circa 1980, I remember it distinctly, but it wasn't called the YA-10B, as I recall it was called the N/AWA-10 (for 'Night/Adverse Weather A-10) I used to have some photos of it but I think they may be lost now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join