It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no more books in the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
now, follow me on this one (goes into theology mode)

there's the Bible, it's x number of books (it varies by 1 or 2 books depending on your denomination, so i'll just leave it at x)
it's remained at x

why?
the bible clearly doesn't encompass enough for us to judge everything off of it
especially with all the new issues arising in the world that nobody would have been able to understand, let alone see the value of knowing about back in the first and second century CE

why hasn't god given us the new new testament or at least the second volume of the new testament?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You're right.

There should at least be a Directors Cut by now.

MonKey

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Ahhhhhhh good thread Madness!

(let me see if I get this right..somewhat?)

We have only 'so many' books accounted for in the bible. It is what it is what it is.

Thennnnn...we can't forget to disclude the works of the 'Book of Enoch' or 'St. Thomas', 'Mary Magdalene' etc etc etc.

I always wondered why there was a gap of missing information when it came down to this.

Why is it the Vatican chooses to allow only certain books to be in the bible, and doesn't acknowledge others. Selective publishing. hmmm...

For whatever reason(s) that the Vatican chooses, it does not dismiss the fact that there are other 'accounts of History(?) that have been neglected.

"I'll take a dash of this and that...hmmm that looks good...ok.. I'll incorporate this too....who cares if the majority doesn't like this one, I'll make them eat crow when they read this and that. There...now it's complete....I think I'll hide the other stuff from people for awhile, tell them it's BS, and let them fight over it."

The above italics were my own crazy interpretation of what 'I think' is happening right now.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The newest addition of the Gospel had come in the form of music by a great artist who passed away. He is written as the rough he goat in Daniel. Any by no coincidence he is labeled the g.o.a.t. (greatest of all time) in the hip hop/rap world. He passed away on a Fri 13th. Got shot on a 7th and had his album to come out with "the 7th day theory" in the title. Too bad ppl arent paying much attention to who he was and what's reallying going on with the world.

Even in the Gospel we were told to watch. For what or who, you ask? Just that this what or whom actually. There are more Gospels living right now you just have to read the signs for in their work. Be it musical to other forms of entertainment and media and etc. Watch!

[edit on 22-3-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think that the church was only interested in the Bible because there was one.
Once they exerted their authorety over it and established their monopoly of it, they lost interest in it and worked to gradualy bury it.
They have something they like better and assert has more authority than the Bible. And, that is their own pronouncements, that they call the cannons.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
J D 60

God specifically gave the apostles power to losse and bind things on earth that the holy ghost shall reveal to the hierarchy....

If they put a number of books in the bible, wouldn't it be extremely big? You wouldn't be able to carry the thing around...

they put what was needed and what explained the basic story of Christ, they didn't need to add more, the bible is just a guide and tool to lead to further conversion and perfection.....

Infact they probably left out passages and books that could help explain the church better but they didn't add those......

So they decided what books were to go into the bible, and God would not allow a false church to creat the bible and put books in it, because he promised he created one church and that he would be with it until the end of the world.

peace.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

God specifically gave the apostles power to losse and bind things on earth that the holy ghost shall reveal to the hierarchy....
If they put a number of books in the bible, wouldn't it be extremely big? You wouldn't be able to carry the thing around...
they put what was needed and what explained the basic story of Christ, they didn't need to add more, the bible is just a guide and tool to lead to further conversion and perfection.....

We can't suppose this action.

It was up to Jesus's Apostles and Deciples to 'bring forth the word.

The unfortunate thing about History, is the fact that Sooooooooo many people have misconstrued His Word.

I am saddened with the fallacies of the Church of today. The fallacies and misdirection that has ensued from the time of Christ's Ministeries, unto today, breaks my heart.

I see these things, and am reminded of:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and soul. Lean NOT unto your own understanding...but trust in HIM.

~Ducky~

[edit on 22-3-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
MIMS,

Great Question! This came to mind when I got to the last book of what I've heard called the "minor prophets". I would get to the end and be like, "Is that all?"

Awhile back, I had a dream that scared me so badly that I didn't want to touch my KJV bible any longer. From then on, I began to look to the history of the bible. This started about six or so years ago.

In my studies, I learned about a man named William Tyndale and his friend John Rogers who were both burned at the stake for translating the word of God into English. Now in all my years, I never heard of anyone being burned at the stake for translating the word of God.

Here is more information about William Tyndale:
Tyndale Accuracy

I hope the provided link helps answer your question...It has for me.

God Bless

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Because no one wants to admit that there are other books that contradict what the bible says. They just want one alibi to convince them that everything is honky dory.

Truly clouded thinking.

Someone told me they had evidence of Jesus' death because they found his burial clothes and steel spikes with DNA evidence of blood stains on them........

The hilarity ensues.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Don't stay clouded with others 'beliefs'. I told you before, always search for answers.

Look at a Master's teachings and regard thus.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How do we know that we aren't living a new Bible now? We could be creating an addendum to the Bible. I think that new light is being seen and is being recorded as we speak.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

Don't stay clouded with others 'beliefs'. I told you before, always search for answers.

Look at a Master's teachings and regard thus.

~Ducky~

Been doing it my whole life. It's a hard lesson to learn and a hard cross to bear. That's one of the messages, but I crossed the line and did just the opposite of what religion teaches us.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
here's one thing i'd like to say

paradise lost, one of the most highly regarded works of literature in the western world, was written by john milton. he claimed to have been inspired by the holy spirit to write it

why not include that in the canon?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
here's one thing i'd like to say

paradise lost, one of the most highly regarded works of literature in the western world, was written by john milton. he claimed to have been inspired by the holy spirit to write it

why not include that in the canon?

Because the canon only points to Jesus, nothing else. I even found inspiration in Evanescence songs about a coming destruction that didn't harm a fly in the song "Good enough".

Someone told me that I can't find inspiration in pop culture.

Such a deception that the church is the only authority. What nonsense.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

the psalms are part of the canon and some of them don't point to anything particularly jesus-y
in fact, quite a bit of the bible is like that, even in the new testament

...maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean
care to elaborate?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
...maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean
care to elaborate?

Well, yes. The song I spoke of is like reading a psalm, its just that it was made in Hollywood. Just a different medium really.

The song itself is sang by Amy Lee. She starts of placing a small tiny little message and buries it into the ground hoping that it takes root.

She then plays her song about being "good enough", for her lover, for her father? Whatever you wish to interpret. She sings this in a room with a wall of books, which are lots of information and stories.

The room breaks out into fire and torches everything but her and she is still waiting for the rain to come and quench the fire. The video ends with the rain distinguishing the fire.

It's basically about an Armageddon that does not happen, because she knows already she is good enough and doesn't need tons of books as proof.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
well, I think we have a hard enough time of understanding the books of the Bible as it is.

God prolly sits back, rolls eyes and says, "don't send anymore of my word!"..."they have misunderstood my word and are still fighting over the misunderstandings as it is"

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have often wondered the same thing, which is one of the questions that has lead me to be agnostic instead of Christian. There are issues today that I don't feel the bible addresses.

For instance the bible encourages us to marry and have as many children as we possibly can. However now our world is overpopulated. Should we still procreate like rabbits?

On the other hand, most of the time when anyone new comes forward saying they have heard the voice of God and what not, we deny them and call them fake or accuse them of being fooled by the devil. So if there is a God and he has any more prophets in our modern age, I have a feeling we would all just deny them anyways.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

I had a dream that scared me so badly that I didn't want to touch my KJV bible any longer. From then on, I began to look to the history of the bible. This started about six or so years ago. In my studies, I learned about a man named William Tyndale and his friend John Rogers who were both burned at the stake for translating the word of God into English.

Why No More Books?

More books?
The KJV (AV) has 39 OT and 27 NT, total 66. You can say for sure and without knowing exactly what is in those books that IT DOES NOT WORK. Never has. So we don't need any more failed or failing ideas.

Cost.
Until Gutenberg, the cost of copying manuscripts was very high. Scribes wanted to be paid for their work. At least up until the 4-5th centuries when the books began to be copied by monks who worked for nothing.

Literacy.
In all the time before the late Middle Ages, very few people could read or write. Indeed it is obvious from some errors in the manuscripts we have that the persons doing the copying could not read either. They truly were "copying."

Time.
Until the Industrial Revolution very few people had TIME or Leisure to spend learning to read and write. Nor did many have time to peruse books. People worked all during the daylight hours and then slept in dirt floor houses with no windows and maybe no heat. Life for almost all the people was at or near survival all the time.

I read a book a couple months ago loosely entitled "Who Changed The Words of Jesus and Why.” The author reported that a scholar in the late 1700s compared some 500 manuscripts relating to the New Testament era.

He found over 30,000 mistakes between the 500+ manuscripts. Most were inconsequential but one example stood out, the so-called the Johannine Comma (1 John 5:7-8). The coma does not appear in the oldest manuscripts. It is the only verse directly supporting the doctrine of the Trinity and it would not do so but for the coma which we know was added. The author said there are "More mistakes in the Bible than there are words in the KJV Bible."

[edit on 3/24/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

i have read what supposedly is the apostolic constitutions and i have read what is supposedly the book of enoch but what is available for us to read makes no more sense than the apocrypha other than the maccabees which is more so history books than books of the bible

there is a total disconnect between the Authority and Majesty of the 66 books we have been allowed to have access to and the fore mentioned books.

i would just love to read the real apostolic constitutions and real book of enoch----not the fakes i've seen so far

in my opinion someone has definetly conspired to cover up the written truth the real apostles had access to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join