It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be a run on grocery stores?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikriley
Here is a movement that I hope catches on if a person has extra money or plenty of money and . . .

Ha ha ha, funny you mentioned that. Yesterday I stopped at the bank to deposit a check and get some more pocket cash and they had fresh crisp brand new $20 bills, so I got an extra $600 which I am going to put $100 each into envelopes and keep them with me and simply hand one to any (pleasant) little old lady I bump into that appears to need some help. I've done similar before, around Christmas (heck, a couple years ago I paid an elderly strangers $1500 doctor bill, money I needed to make a house payment or pay my own medical bill with instead). It's amazing how such a small gesture and amount of help can help someone like that out. I consider it payback for the times when I was younger raising a family and good luck came my way just when I needed it most.

It really is sad to see the elderly, who are really too old to keep working, have to worry about things they can't possibly do anything about. This is in contrast to the anger and rage I experience when I see young healthy adults waiting in the welfare line wait for some of my tax jacked money that they feel they are entitled to. ARGH! Those working age welfare mongers can should starve and rot for all I care, I have NO sympathy or compassion for their asses. But the hard off elderly and disabled break my heart, they should not starve or freeze in the winter because they are unable to work and food and fuel prices have sky rocketed while their nest egg has evaporated.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The count down continues wether a strike amongst independent truckers will take place on tues. April 1st. Unless it is an April fools joke does anyone know if the strike is still on or off? Rik Riley

[edit on 30-3-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A truckers strike that disrupts the food distribution chain would be of the same magnitude as the air traffic controllers strike that Reagan broke up. The President would use his authority to break strikes that pose a threat to national security and order everyone back to work and sanction or terminate anyone who refuses.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by animekenji

Good point but how do you terminate an independent truck driver when he or she works for his or her self? The companies that the independent truck drivers supply or deliver product for would probably go to a new corporate carrier and the problem would take care of itself.

If corporate carriers ever went on strike that is another matter and I suspect the President would step in and enforce the laws on the books. rik Riley

[edit on 31-3-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
if people dont have the money to fuel up how can he force them back to work? maybe then we will get the fuel prices lowered.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

Good point, we need to be drilling for more oil in this country. We can blame it on the environmentalist for not drilling but the ultimate decision is in the politicians hands. Why send trillions overseas to buy oil when we do not have to and especially if we convert to hydrogen derived from H2O. Rik Riley

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here is the question will the strike still take place on April 1st or April 3rd? The Independent Drivers Association with 161,000 members was fielding calls today on what their stance was on the matter about striking. What I have gathered from what I have read the IDA is not supporting the strike at this time. By the way I went to the grocery store today and it was packed. Has the word on the street about a truckers strike making an impact as far as grocery store retail sales? Rik Riley

[edit on 31-3-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Truckers in different parts of the country protested the high cost of diesel fuel today. Some took to the roads blocking traffic and others parked their trucks along the highway in protest.

The protest has not affected the flow of goods that much across the nation. The truckers are out to make a point and let it be known that they are tired of paying $4.00 or more per gallon for diesel fuel per gallon. Many truckers can no longer make it on 87 cents a mile that they average being paid for transporting goods across this nation. Without the truckers mostly everything including our economy stops.

We can sympathize with the truckers because they are paying in most instances from 75 cents to a dollar more a gallon for diesel fuel then we who drive gas driven vehicles. Rik Riley

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join