It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Camo or not to Camo...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
"It takes one year for the background checks."

that depends on where you live,in tucson you can go in a gun store and walk out with a handgun, same day no b.c.I forget but i think thats the same for a rifle too

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

The "self contained air cartridge air weapons" that were banned were the Brocock Cartridge system, where the air reservoir was shaped like a brass casing of a 5.56, 7.62 etc. These where filled with compressed air, and a pellet was placed at the neck. It was set of by a firing pin hitting the release valve on the base of the round. These could be easily converted to fire standard ammunition (usually .22LR or more tricky, the .223). Thats what earned them the ban.

In terms of a magazine fed air rifle, you'd be looking for a pre-charged pneumatic air rifle, with a rotary magazine. These are perfectly legal, however in SitX recharging will have to be done by stirrup pump, and that's just an extra burden to carry. I do like the idea of a catapult though, but I would supplement that with snares, and prior knowledge of trapping/foraging. Ideally, I'd like a pouch where I could stuff Ray Mears into, however the laws of physics prevent me from doing that.

As for camo vs civvies, its all down to the area and situation. If you are planning on surviving as a group, if you all dress the same it'll be easier to stop intruders. Probably best to not go for the same pattern as your countries armed forces. If you have a hunting/foraging party out of the camp, your sentries should be able to identify them from a distance due to the camo they are wearing. If someone approaches not wearing what your group has decided on, then you have ample warning to take whatever actions you previously decided on.

Luckily for me, I live in the north of England, so I have plenty of green spaces to disappear into should the worse come. If I was a city dweller, I'd probably start the grey man, then shift to camo once amongst the green stuff. Lets just hope it never comes to that.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Quite a few interesting points of view here that are worthy of note... since I don't have alot of time to be on here as much as I would like to, I have to take a short pause to keep the direction going for the sake of the threads continuity.

Originally posted by ThePiece
I see alot of mention of Camo vs. gray... but what do you all think about an all black outfit as opposed to a full on camo/gray look? Its kind of a non tactical look, except for the boots, which are 60% covered by the pants.
ThePiece

Yes, and so far the debate has been either total camo / grey standpoint.. and now the lines are being blurred somewhat, as in life nothing is always black or white.

The issue of black attire is very relevant, considering the day and age in which we live.. SWAT and other tactical elements utilize it effectively in the field and most LEO uniforms are in darker shades.

From my own understanding, black is a big no-no in military loadouts now due to it's rendering in nightvision and that is why most of the branches excluded it from all battle dress uniforms camo. Apparently it stands out like shiny chrome it the later gen NVG's and is highly reflective.

But from a civilian standpoint, a stormtrooper dressed in all black swat style has a pretty ominous presence indeed, which is interesting psychology.
Who would you rather run into in a dark alley raid?

A mix of camo and black tactical is a notion worthy of some discussion, albeit a little outside the box. Mix that up with a little grey.... hmmm

I'm out for now, so keep it civil and logical,
I will check back in soon.

T-

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemiro

Same for me, grey man when I leave the city or built up area, then I change into my Camoflage stuff in the boonies.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
for me id have to say that staying grey till i get out of the city then changing into camo would be the best option. I'm thinking that if you were in a small group and all wear camo or other military related attire then you might be mistaken as an enemy. But you might also be seen as a peace keeping figure, in which case your all set. But all that would depend entirely on the situation at hand. so its really hard to have an absolute answer.

i like the idea of wearing camo under grey clothes. that way you can switch quickly if you need to. but that might pose comfort and other issues. but still a good idea.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I have 2 digital camo B.D.U's. One is the canadian pattern and the other is an american style, desert colours, as well as the basic black B.D.U's. During the summer months, they let your skin "breathe" by wicking away perspiration during strenuous activities such as running or hand-to-hand combat.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join