It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The turn me on to new music thread!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
White Zombie is pretty good. Rob Zombie is too!

Uh, and I guess Zao if you're into death metal.

-Will

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
explosions in the sky and godspeed you black emperor!

try relaxing

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
heres a cool john coltrane video showing the written music, song is giant steps from the album giant steps. one of my all time favorite jazz albums.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

I really liked godspeed you black emperor. very slow and thought invoking. a good counterpoint to this music might be Royksopp(norwegian electronica band)

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Man, there's so much. I'll go a different direction here.

Everyone should do this at least once, put on some Al Green with someone you really like in an amorous way. Should be an enjoyable listen.

Jazz off the top of my head. Miles of course. Anything with Stanley Clarke playing on it (Clarke/Duke is fun stuff). George Benson is great if you're feeling mellow.

Nice to see another Zappa fan on ATS! He was just great, seen him half a dozen times (with George Duke once).

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This guy is one of the main reasons I play the blues.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Ever heard Shoukichi Kina before? Sometimes I use asian and cyrilic keywords when searching Youtube for videos. I'll find videos I would never have found by using any english keyword. Even if I don't know chinese, japanese, thai, vietnamese, korean or russian. And since my keyboard can't type these words, I copy/paste random words and see what I'll find...

Here's Shoukichi Kina (Okinawa, Japan). I don't know the title of the song. Youtube says: "喜納昌吉&チャンプルーズ - 白鳥小"

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
On the Godspeed tip try Silver Mt Zion, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Do Make Say Think - Konkurrent records...
If you fancy something dubby and heavy in a modern, industrial kinda way try Dalek or Scorn...
Country - and I'm not going Billy Ray Cyrus here - 16 Horsepower, Townes Van Zandt, Drive-by Truckers or Ben Weaver.
Also, Mahavishnu Orchestra are awesome.

I love threads like this.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Musical Erotica.....are you up for it?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

yep some good bands mentioned here, sigur ros is very good. if you find yourself enjoying sigur ros you might want to check out boards of canada

air is also really good...daft punk is cool if no one said that....umm....oh yea this band called beirut is pretty good too

have fun

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
if you like country check out 12 golden country greats by Ween. :w:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

Yeah, Boards of Canada are excellent and I feel like a fool for forgetting to mention Beirut...

On the "World" music theme - Tinariwen and Fela Kuti are damn good too. If there's a possible link-in to old-school emo, then at the moment I'm gonna say Sunny Day Real Estate, Fugazi (of course) and Karate - it'll take ages to find Karate on google, but well worth it, try using "Unsolved" as a keyword. Rodrigo Y Gabriella are cool too.

I'm going into brain-spazz mode and gonna spew a load of stuff that I like that you probably know as you seem to have pretty good taste, but: Jon Spencer, Royal Trux, Slint, Shellac, Hoover, Add N to X, Nick Cave, Devics, King Tubby, Lee Perry, God Machine, Will Oldham, Low, Swans, Refused, Husker Du, Medications, Soulsavers, Black Flag, Rollins Band, Autechre, Mars Volta, P J Harvey, GGFH, Sleater-Kinney, Mudhoney, Cornelius, Social Distortion, DRI, Goats, Spiritualized, Nouvelle Vague, Boredoms, Super Furry Animals, Silver Jews, Dirty Three, Battles, They Came From The Stars I Saw Them, Neurosis, Isis, Cat Power, No Means No, Devo, Scorn, Pain Teens, Gong, John Zorn, Butthole Surfers, Come, Thalia Zedek, Yo La Tengo, James Plotkin, Lambchop, Melvins, Girls Against Boys, Jim White, Fudge Tunnel, The Lapse, Cowboy Junkies, She Haw, Mazzy Star, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine...

So there it goes, I love each and every one of these and would get a kick out of someone else enjoying them.

bestness

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

i think we would get a long quite nicely based on your taste in music alone... i think the type of music you and i have been agreeing on in here says a lot about a person, you know what i mean?

now i must ask, do you like any hip-hop?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thanks... I agree.

I do like hip hop, but it's not something I know a lot about - stuff like Public Enemy, N.W.A., Last Poets, Jurassic 5, Goats, Pharcyde and a few others...

Can you give me hip hop 101, that'd be awesome.

Cheers.

Oops, meant to post this as reply (to previous).

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Here's Snakefinger. The Man in the Dark Sedan.

Google Video Link

edit: D'oh

[edit on 2008/3/24 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Just started listening to Belle & Sebastian.

Pretty. Amazing. music!!

www.youtube.com...

Also, I really really love Stereolab, flippin brilliant! Check out their album Dots & loops!
here is the first track off of Dots & Loops. just to give you a taste.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 25-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

[edit on 25-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Victor Barnes

They call it Insurgent Bluegrass.
I call it a lot of fun.
I saw them a few days ago, (even played cowbell with them. LOL)

There are a few free songs on their music page.
victorbarnes.com...

Some great Mandolin pickin' on the song "Bad Weather"..

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

The download did not work for me.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Ha! pretty funny!
I like snakefinger's zesty cheesieness!

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsEsterhouse

hmm sorry about that.
I just checked it again. Seems to be working.
Just a right click and a save.
Give it another try.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join