It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance or Apathy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Ignorance or Apathy, which do you think is the greatest problem facing Americans today? Do you know? Do you care?

Ignorance is the state of being uneducated, unaware, and uninformed. I see this more and more everyday. Most Americans probably couldn't tell you what the capitol of their home state is, much less how to spell it. Ask them to name two states that border there own. Ask them what continent they live on. I doubt if you will get one correct answer out of the lot. These aren't difficult questions either.

Apathy is a lack of interest or concern, especially in matters of general importance. Half of the American population doesn't even bothers to vote. They have no idea of whom their elected officials are, and probably could care less. They know they have rights, but I doubt many of them could name more than three of them.

What has become of our once great society? Sometimes I just don't know, and at other times, I just don't care.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I think it's a combination of both.

People are apathetic because they don't care to know what the capitol is of their state, or anything else you listed.

Because they don't care to know, that makes them ignorant.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Neither actually...

I think political correctness is the plague of the 21st century. People have become so afraid to speak or think sensibly about anything that they're practically retraining themselves on purpose to think like idiots.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ignorance accounts for about 50% of it, and ignorance is responsible for 40% of it. Only 10 % actually take an interest in what is happening in this country to actually stand up and try to make a difference. That is why this country is in such a mess. So it's not just the powers that be that are responsible for where this country is going. It is those who either can't, or won't, do anything at all to help change things. Shine, perishing republic!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
In my previous post to this thread, i meant to say that 50% are ignorant and 40% are apathetic. I should pay more attention to what I'm typing when I'm typing it.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bachelor
reply to post by LLoyd45

Neither actually...

I think political correctness is the plague of the 21st century. People have become so afraid to speak or think sensibly about anything that they're practically retraining themselves on purpose to think like idiots.

I completely agree with you Bachelor. I'm deeply sickened by all the political correctness that surrounds me. You must watch your every word lest someone be offended..

top topics

join