It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water will be the Source of War unless the world acts now, warns minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Water will be the Source of War unless the world acts now, warns minister

www.independent .co.uk

The world faces a future of "water wars", unless action is taken to prevent international water shortages and sanitation issues escalating into conflicts, according to Gareth Thomas, the International Development minister.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I actually don't doubt this---In fact I think it will go a step further, to include FOOD, with the direction things are going. How Ironic is it that when 3/4 of a planet is COVERED with water, that we still have water shortages / crisises...You'd think with all the supposed technology we have in this day and age that de-salination plants would be everywhere. Yet right here in the western U.S., they are already warning us of the upcoming severe droughts and possibilities of fed regulation and rationing.

If we could use 1% of the money we waste on war and destruction, we could have this problem solved in no time flat.

www.independent .co.uk

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

If we could use 1% of the money we waste on war and destruction, we could have this problem solved in no time flat.

www.independent .co.uk

Much agreed.
It is one of those things that makes you realize there are alternate agendas that most are unaware of.
What else explains the fact that a planet covered in water would succumb to a water shortage?
Desalinization is a simple process.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456

What else explains the fact that a planet covered in water would succumb to a water shortage?
Desalinization is a simple process.

Is the desalination process easy and practical on a massively huge round the clock scale though?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
As a person living in the country that holds the biggest drinkable water supply news like that scares me. Canada would be a prime target but our location and allies would go a long way to securing our safety. If it got so desperate that even allies turned on us which I just dont see happening then we would be in trouble.

Something like a major envorinmental disater that pollutes a large portion of drinking water will have a devastating effect which is probably the most likely scenario to plunge the world into a water war, the shortage would have to be severe and sudden.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Is the desalination process easy and practical on a massively huge round the clock scale though?

War seems to be easy and practical to them, so why not something that matters? I'm sure we could find the time and money to find an easy and practical way if we would...you know...dedicate the time and money to find an easy and practical way...

It's an absolute disgrace that 75% of the planet is water, the atmosphere contains a lot of water, the soil contains a lot of water, the snow on the mountains contains water, water comes from our clouds, WE are made up of mostly water - yet we have a damn water shortage.

Hell, we even supposedly have Global Warming contributing more fresh water from the polar ice caps, and there's still an impending shortage?

Absolutely pathetic.

If this doesn't show their agenda to exterminate us - the fact that our most abundant and important resource is fading away - then I don't know what will.

If only they'd buy one less bomb and put one less prescription drug in our water, maybe we'd have more clean water to drink.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
As the US, China, and Russia are fighting proxy oil wars/conflicts now, (or at least are building up their militaries to prepare for such wars) water and food resources are the next logical step.

Desalinization has proven difficult on a large scale. Nevada is paying California to build a desalinization (Los Angeles I believe) plant so [Nevada] can further strain the Colorado River. The Nevadans are going to pay the Californians to build the desal plant and then make them use it.

Its too costly to continue for much longer. The amount of electricity needed is mind-boggling.

What we need to focus on is A). rain catchment, B). reuse of affluent water on a large scale, and C). stop selling water in bottles which further strains the water supply in many areas. There's certainly many more steps to take such as CONSERVATION, but that would be too novel of an idea.

Carry on, use as much water as possible and don't have the afterthoughts to care about what's happening.

Its not like we're in the middle of a worldwide drought or anything...

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
RO Sea Water Systems are not that expensive (well less then a decent used car)

www.makeh2o.com...

One for your house for about 6K that runs on a generator so I am not sure how much some people here have actually looked, but anyone near the Sea should own one, also takes river and well water and makes it perfect.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Great, waging war for oil, then waging war for water...

what's next... waging war for oxygen?

Come to think of it, what will be next (after oxygen)?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
A while back I got some info at work that the planet can sustain a population of 20 billion with fresh water supplies. But anything above that would mean certain death for millions. And as for fighting wars over it it would be a none starter and unsustainable.

The easiest way to solve this is to stop using it like there is no end to the supply, like most of our society today its driven by greed and ignorance.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It seems to me that all the world leaders are very idiotic. Instead of spending money on missiles, soldiers, guns, ammo, bunkers, and etc. They could use that money to solve these problems like the food, water, fuel. Instead of using grain to make food they can use it to feed people. Leaders suck.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Canada would be a main target in a war for water...

Mitch

top topics

join