It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philip Morris Tries To Genetically Modifiy the Cancer Out of Tobacco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Philip Morris Tries To Genetically Modifiy the Cancer Out of Tobacco

www.blacklistednews.com

Scientists have genetically modified tobacco plants to knock out a gene that helps turns nicotine into one of the carcinogens in cured tobacco.

The Philip Morris-funded North Carolina State researchers say the work could lead to less cancer-causing chewing tobacco. In large-scale field trials, they compared the levels of N-nitrosonornicotine, a chemical known as NNN, between GM tobacco plants and a control group. They found a six-fold decrease in NNN and a 50 percent overall drop in a whole class of nasty substances known as tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Moderator Edit
>Please read>> *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[color=#EEB4B4]* Please note that there is a [color=#FFE7BA]character limit of 500 characters [color=#EEB4B4]for the copied story snippet.

[color=#EEEEE0]Exceeding this character limit may result in drastic editing or your thread will be closed, moved or deleted.

[font=Arial Black][color=#CD5555]--khunmoon--
mod&member[/font]

[edit on 21/3/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Interesting news. Im trying to quit smoking and its been hard just trying but im not giving up on trying cause of this news story because seems there only testing on smokeless tobaccos. I guess cancer sticks would follow.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Atleast this sounds like a real serious effort to make cigs less harmfull, most other tobacco companies try to deny that cigs causes harmfull sideeffects.

MBF

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Nicotine does not cause cancer. Nicotine stimulates capillary development so the tumors will have a blood flow, that's how they grow. Japan did a study of the effects of nicotine years ago and one of the benefits was that people who smoke have a less chance of getting Alzheimer's. I don't smoke, never have and have no desire to start because I have grown it most of my life.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

If scientists can clone animals and humans (soon), why shouldn't they be able to remove the cancer causing agents in cigs. I know there is no money to be made in a cure for anything but you would think the tobacco companies would want to make cigs as "safe" as possible so smokers like me could live longer and continue to buy cigs. They don't really have to add anything to make cigs more addictive, just make them taste better. I've noticed a difference in the taste over the years. Maybe I'm just losing my taste buds, oh well, whatever. Something is going to kill you sooner or later.

MBF

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

One of the biggest problems with taking the cancer causing agents out of tobacco is that there dozens of chemicals in tobacco that cause cancer. Yes they should try to get them out and they have worked on it. They made us put heat exchangers in our tobacco barns to eliminate nitrosomines. The only problem is that you get way more nitrosomines every time you grill a steak or hamburger.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

You really cant genetically alter a cigarette to stop it from causing cancer.
Its the smoke that is produced from the burning of the tobacco that is most deadly.
Doesn`t really matter what you burn, if you inhale it over long periods of time you will be more prone to developing lung cancer, not to mention a bunch of other not pretty lung diseases.

As a long time smoker who has tried to quit numerous times and is currently free of cigarettes for the past 8 weeks, I have to recommend the nicotine patch to you. Its the best, if you need that extra help. Dum Dum lolipops are another good tool to use while wearing the patch to help with that habit of constantly putting cigarettes to your mouth. And as a lat resort, I`d recommend Black and Mild, thin pipe tobacco filled cigars that come in a pack of 5. One of those a day, and not inhaling, is far less bad for you then a pack of ciggs.

Good luck to you, but don`t ever expect a cigarette you can smoke and not have to worry about lung cancer. A cure for cancer is a better bet, that is if they would ever release that cure.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenflt
Atleast this sounds like a real serious effort to make cigs less harmfull, most other tobacco companies try to deny that cigs causes harmfull sideeffects.

This company had a healthy part in that denial too

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
Nicotine does not cause cancer. Nicotine stimulates capillary development so the tumors will have a blood flow, that's how they grow. Japan did a study of the effects of nicotine years ago and one of the benefits was that people who smoke have a less chance of getting Alzheimer's.

Right, there has been a bunch of studies done on the positive effects of nicotine. However there are plenty of chemicals in most cigarettes that are carcogenic. And I don't think this article was suggesting nicotine. Nicotines role in cigarettes, I believe, is for the addiction aspect.

[edit on 113131p://21u29 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well i dont know about you all, i have quit smoking, but when i drink i go buy a pack just for that night of drinking... which is like every few weeks or so.

However... I just read about this new product: Its an electronic cigerette. No tobacco, no smoke. all it is is nicotine that is "atomized" along with some fake smoke stuff (like you get from smoke machines from clubs and stuff), and tabacco flavour, and apperently it's pretty good. Hell you can soke in clubs and pubs now because all that comes out is water vapour. It's non gharmful. The only thing that is i guess harmful is the nicotine and thats not really harmful too much. Just addictive...

And from these prices they seem cheep too...

$2.00 for a cartridge which is like 15 cigarettes...

Electronic Cigarette Prices Australia...

ps.. I dont sell these things so please dont think im advertising lol.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by DaRAGE]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So if Phillip Morris succeeds then that's great

The thing is, the only reason they want to do this is so that people can smoke for longer. Thus it's for profit. But whatever, if they succeed then I guess it won't matter.

One thing is for sure though, they will only alter the carcogenic qualities out of the cigarettes if it doesn't compromise the addictive qualities..

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Hey that's interesting DaRAGE
I hadn't heard of that. And are you positive it is allowed inside bars and such? Like in California?

Also

fake smoke stuff (like you get from smoke machines from clubs and stuff), and tabacco flavour

What is really in the "fake smoke stuff" and in the "tabacco flavor"?

MBF

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

You are right, the nicotine is the main component for the addiction. The most popular varieties that are grown have the highest nicotine content.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well cigarettes are banned from clubs and pubs, for one reason only isn't it? The harmful cancerous, stinky smelling smoke. Whereas, this stuff isn't that as all, and all that comes out of your mouth is water vapour that disperses in seconds.

And what is in the cartridges are here... I thought it was just nicotine and tabacco flavour with some gycol stuff that makes the smoke like in night clubs and stuff, but that doesn't harm you....

Wikipee'dia Electronic Cigarettes" What cartridges contain

When i get paid im actually going to order myself one and check it out. It could become my drinking friend instead of those harmful cigarettes that wreck my lungs.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Actually I just read the health safety details from a New Zealand health study of it. Quite Interesting. Quite Harmless.

NZ Health Safety team.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well i've ordered my e-cigerette starter pack with 15 extra cartridges. I'll let you all know how it goes and how it feel compared...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Well i've ordered my e-cigerette starter pack with 15 extra cartridges. I'll let you all know how it goes and how it feel compared...

Ahh right on

Yeah let us know what you think, I find them interesting!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Remember, based on the wiki source you linked these e-cigarettes still have nicotine in them, which means they are still addictive. You said you smoked a little bit, so I guess it won't be too big an issue.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Nah the nicotine factor wont be to big a problem considering i started smoking back up again the day after i read about the e-cigerette...

So i'll be a guinea pig ;-P

Cant wait. I really just want an -ecig so taht if i want to have a smoke, i wont be getting lung disease..

new topics

top topics

join