It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ghost astronaut"?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Could anyone comment (constructively, please
) on this?

Slayton: a ghost astronaut?

(I've searched to make sure it wasn't posted before, and it doesn't seem to have been. Slayton's name does appear on ATS, but in a different context.)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

So many astronautics-obsessed people (and I mean that in the nicest way
), and not ONE cares to enlighten me...?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Still no comment from anyone...?

Obviously, one cannot force a reply, nor would I want that to happen.
It just strikes me as odd, considering that the man was apparently well-known to many, including people here.
Is the story itself a hoax?
Were there any further developments regarding it?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Found some links related to this. I would say it is a legit story. Too many sources to discount it. The last link even has a copy of the letter.

Deke's Final Flight
Deke Slayton
Forum Discussion at Democratic Underground
Ghosts in the machine - Tales of haunted hangars and phantom pilots

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Thank you, TLomon, that's great!

(I am always interested in pilot "ghosts".
There seem to be many more around than people would likely imagine - or are willing to admit while they're still flying themselves.)

[edit on 25-3-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just bumping, because I think it really is a legitimate puzzle (of one kind or another
)...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Good Find!
I think there were too many witnesses to be a hoax... Very cool

If they were able to verify the flight numbers and everything, it is pretty convincing.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheyracingchick

Thank YOU for the interest.
I find it puzzling that, with all this rather good evidence (certainly much more solid than in many other cases) that it is NOT a hoax, so few people seem to be interested in this story.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i heard about this too. when deke's widow was asked why it took so long for him to take off in his old plane, she replied "well, he was probably looking for gus" (grissom, he died on a launch pad fire). dekes plane was one of those that needed the propeller to be spun for help on take off.

yes, this one is REAL hard for debunkers. the government sent a citation for the noise for goodness sakes. that plane was seen and identified and cited. there is no way around that. even though it was in a museum with its engine gone!

cool post. always liked this story!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Yes!
Isn't it odd that no so-called "skeptics" care to even sniff this bone?
(I don't mean necessarily here - anywhere. After all, he was a well-known person.)

Surely this warrants further investigation?

[edit on 27-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow... still no additional thoughts on this one?

Where are so-called "skeptics" when you need them?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
if there were witnesses interviewed it would be more interesting

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thanks. Interesting story.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Sorry to "bump" yet another old post of mine, but this story really puzzles me.
Correction: what puzzles me is the apparent general lack of interest in it, especially by so-called "skeptics".

Anyway, I'll remind those interested in it that the last link contributed by TLomon contains a copy of the "notice of violation" sent by the appropriate authorities.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
if there were witnesses interviewed it would be more interesting

There WERE witnesses interviewd: according to the article, they were "questioned by the authorities".

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
All right, I'll ask a question myself, then: how come the likes of James Randi don't bite this particular bone?
I mean, if it's a hoax (it doesn't seem so, but it could be), it would be fairly easy to "debunk".
And if not.... if not... Then what?

It may seem like a rhetorical question, but it really isn't.
I'd really like to know. Why aren't they interested in a case - involving a well-known person, to boot - with so much documented "weirdness"?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Vanitas, nice find!!

I cannot believe I've never heard of this before. ( Thinking back to what I was doing in 1993...well, I missed this, lots of personal issues back then. )

Honestly, I have no idea what to think...I've been a pilot for over 35 years, and the story is weird.

I'll read more about it, but first question, I didn't see if it was addressed, was: Did anyone interview the air traffic controllers in the Tower from that morning? Because, it would be a good piece of data to know if there was any call on the radio from the airplane, or if it taxiied out and took off without a clearance. SINCE the only letter of violation from the FAA was the noise complaint (and, it is a fact that KSNA has many noise monitors, at least now, not sure how they were arranged 15 years ago) and there was no letter of any other violation, such as defying ATC and operating without clearances, then someone must have communicated with ATC.

In case people don't know, besides radio there also is a method of Tower to airplane communication using visual signals. Lights from the Tower, and acknowledgement from the airplane with onboard light flashiing, or simply 'rocking the wings'. ANY such a procedure, from a major airport such as KSNA, could be discussed in advance, via telephone, to arrange.

I mention all of this because....

While it is eerie to consider the possible paranormal aspects of this, has anyone looked into it as a possible elaborate practical joke???

Many pilots, especially those personalities from the Space Program, had/have testicles the size of grapefruit ( metaphorically only!
) and wicked senses of humour.

SO, for a prosaic and Earthly possible explanation, what IF 'Deke' had a good buddy co-conspirator, who he arranged this with to occur after his death, as a grand joke???

Frankly, I LOVE IT!!! I am inspired, if this turns out to be the case!!!

edit=

I looked up the N number, from FAA records, it is here.

Sold to a Mr. Ed Maloney, in Chino, California. Makes sense, a LOT of vintage airplanes there, it is a haven for aviation enthusiasts. Since it was a racer, also makes sense it would be on display in a museum up in Sparks, NV, because it's near Reno, site of the famous Reno Air Races.

Next, going searching for the museum!!!

[edit on 11 August 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Whoa - thank YOU, Weedwhacker. A veteran pilot's opinion: that's more than I could have dreamed of.

I believe the air traffic controllers WERE interviewed (but it's true I haven't reread the documents in a while). Contacting the editor of the website hyperlinked in the OP might be a good idea.

If I find any new (to me, obviously) information, I'll post it here, of course.

Thanks again!
I really, really appreciate your input.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

MORE info:

National Air Race Museum, Reno Nevada
Formula-1 Racer Stinger #21 owned and flown by Astronaut Deke Slayton.

(skip)

NARM Visitors were beneficiaries of exchange programs with a number of Museums including the National Air and Space Museum.

Many of the air racers and the BF-109G were on loan from the Air Museum in Chino, California. The BF-109G was last seen, a few years ago, in the Planes of Fame satellite museum near the Grand Canyon at Valle Airport in Valle-Williams, Arizona, along with a letter from General Jimmy Doolittle's son informing NARM that Jimmy had become ill and was unable to attend NARM's Grand Opening.

As of May 10, 2008 many of the other racers and replicas are in a hangar at the Main Planes of Fame Museum in Chino. Ed Maloney, President of the Air Museum, says the air racers will soon be featured in an air racing display. The non-flying replica of the Hughes H-1 Racer is currently in storage.

Opened in May 1993, NARM closed in February, 1994.

(skip)

The Planes of Fame Museum briefly reopened NARM in September, 1994, before removing all contents of NARM which have been relocated to Chino and Valle-Williams.

Source

Hmmmm....plot thickens.

Ed Maloney on record as having purchased the airplane, he's the director of Aviation Museum.

ANOTHER Formula could have been painted up, IF this was a big practical joke, betcha plenty of Deke's friends would have loved to have helped out in pulling this off......

edit = source

[edit on 11 August 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Here is more, I knew I could find it about Orange County Airport. ( Re-named 'John Wayne' after his death. )

excerpt:

Description of Sanctions

Notice of Violation
In the event an aircraft exceeds the GANO noise limits at one or more locations, a “Notice of Violation” will be issued to the registered owner of the aircraft. The Notice of Violation applies to the aircraft owner, the aircraft operator, and the aircraft. Notices of Violation remain in effect for three years after the violation date.

Read more, including the current arrangement of noise monitors, here.

There is a diagram link, in the link I provided. Of course, in 1993, things may have been a little different, but the history of that airport is long and storied, because of the wealth of the residents in the vicinity, and their "noise" complaints AFTER they bought and moved near the airport. Rather than suffering buyer's remorse, they became de-facto 'NIMBYs' ( Not In My BackYard ).

I am sitting here
at the thought of ole' Deke sticking his middle finger up at the snobs!!!!

The SAME snobs who probably LOVE the convenience of having a major airport so close to their homes!!! Hypocrites.

GO, Deke!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join