It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Like Eggs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Eggs....it's what's for dinner.

But seriously...the whole over easy thing. It is the way to go and some breakfast makers can just knock'em out one after another. I did if for a couple years from 16 to 18 years old. Hated cooking breakfast. Too many people all at once. Too many eggs....eggs frying, pancakes going, omelettes, keep your eyes on the home fries, french toast?, filling up the little crud hopper with eggs with broken yokes.....toast? and everyone wants their toast just right.

There is nothing worse than odering them over easy and some jackass of a cook tries to put one broken yoke with a couple decent ones and hopes you won't complain. Did he buy the damn eggs? Maybe he did.....

I LOVE over easy eggs on burnt hash.....good and burnt hash. I mean a hash pancake almost and two nice runny eggs on it!!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Eggs today...........$2.20@ dz..........National average

Last year at this time......under a dollar

Thank you President Bush for making my life a living hell!!!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise sauce and some extra English muffins for dipping, maybe a bloody mary to go with them. I actually had them recently were the Canadian bacon was replaced with smoked salmon and it was fantastic. Now I want breakfast.....

Oh yeah, talk dirty to me
haha

I didn't even see this thread til just now (for shame lol) and was reading through the posts looking for my fav and was ready to raise my eyebrows in surprise that nobody had yet mentioned the famous eggs benedict ... truly my favorite breakfast ever!
With LOTS of homemade hollandaise mmmmmmmmmmmm there is nothing better.
I only make it every other month though, no good for your health really, but hey what is that is oh soooo good?
oh And I have my hollandaise down pat now too
I am SO proud, took a few tries.

I eat eggs anytime of day, and I too have recently switched to egg beaters for my usual scrambled eggs on toast - only because I eat em so often and I season and dress em as I like so they still taste mm mmm good

As I have aged I have more of a fondness for runny yolks too, when I was younger nuh unh I wouldn't eat it for nothing.

I also LOVE egg salad sammiches

[edit on 1-5-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

You bring the mimosas and I'll whip the eggs benedict. We'll worry about the dirty talk after breakfast

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Eggs today...........$2.20@ dz..........National average

Last year at this time......under a dollar

Yeah, it's crazy.

Small carton of sliced mushcooms, raw, $2.99.

Three cups is only 50 calories. That's six cents a calorie. Used to be under a dollar for the same size, iirc (

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Deal.
I do tend to like my dirty talk before the food but I'm easy

On a side note - Mushrooms here in Japan right now - well I saw them at the commissary on base - are $7.29 for a pack of about 7-8 lil button mushrooms! :bnghd:
... and they're not even sliced!

That's right, I said SEVEN DOLLARS

wth ?

[edit on 6-5-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My little brown dog uncovered a nest of quail eggs and ate every last one of them. That little rascal had quail egg drool coming out his mouth and I swear that he was grinning at me. Selfish little bastard.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If Dan Quayle had eggs, I wouldn't eat them. I wouldn't trust his ability to tell the difference between a good egg and a bad egg. He's probably a decent guy but DAMN what a joke as a VP. He could have been president. Scary thought that!

My wife makes this delicious looking egg casserole as a breakfast deal. It has eggs, cheese, bacon, etc.....but cooked as a casserole. She makes it for the people at her work a couple times a year. SHE HAS NEVER MADE IT FOR ME! Isn't that rude? She says she will this weekend. I told her I don't believe it!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

On a side note - Mushrooms here in Japan right now - well I saw them at the commissary on base - are $7.29 for a pack of about 7-8 lil button mushrooms!

Wow, I think much above 3 buck and I'm looking elsewhere. Maybe local farmer outlet and a pick your own outta the bin whole.

OTOH, hey, maybe there's a money making opportunity. Become a mushroom cultivator. Think you can buy kits and just need a dark place to grow em.

Are you talking portabello or shiitake?

Back onto eggs...I'm gonna check out the 'Smart Balance' spread instead of butter or spray PAM. Consumer reports had a thumbs up on it and said their finicky tasters were very pleased and could not
distinguish between that and real.

May issue. BTW, it's somewhat rare that the CU testers like 'artificial' stuff like this.

Since I like to use something buttery with my eggs, this will cut the total calories for that dish.

Looking at the nutrition breakdown, it's about 55% less fattening:

Butter
Amount Per 1 tablespoon
Calories 101.81
Calories from Fat 103.66

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11.52g 18%
Saturated Fat 7.17g 36%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.428g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.33g
Cholesterol 31.08mg 10%
Sodium 117.29mg 5%

---------------------
Smart Balance 37% Light Buttery Spread
Amount Per 1 tablespoon
Calories 45
Calories from Fat 45

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g 8%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 90mg 4%

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Originally posted by ImJaded

On a side note - Mushrooms here in Japan right now - well I saw them at the commissary on base - are $7.29 for a pack of about 7-8 lil button mushrooms!

Wow, I think much above 3 buck and I'm looking elsewhere. Maybe local farmer outlet and a pick your own outta the bin whole.

OTOH, hey, maybe there's a money making opportunity. Become a mushroom cultivator. Think you can buy kits and just need a dark place to grow em.

Are you talking portabello or shiitake?

Yeah huh? I have been going without mushrooms and I love em!
I usually make a mushroom and tomato roulade for my omelettes mm mmmm good but at these prices *sigh*

The expensive ones are just regular ole' button ones from the local suppliers, we are still able to buy what they bring in from the USA but the quality is just not as good as the locally produced food.

I noticed Portabello are $5 for 2. Yeah just 2.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have an update. My wife DID NOT make the egg casserole deal this past weekend. I knew she would blow it off.

I tried to get her to do it Sunday but she said something about it being Mother's Day and I should make HER breakfast. I was like: "I don't know how to make that egg deal."

She said, "Make something else." I was like, no way. "YOU promised to make the egg deal" and then I went back to sleep. When I woke up it was 11:01, so I asked for the egg deal again. She said, "Sorry, we stopped serving breakfast at 11:00. You'll have to order something from the lunch menu." Then she kicked me in the nuts.

JEEZ! :shk:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ouch, and I thought the QoP was brutal.

Up the road from our little adobe hacienda is a Retired Marine and his honey that must have 50 layers. They feed them table scraps, alfaphapa and some kind of grain, Purina grain I think, from the looks of the sack.

www.lionsgrip.com...

Now those eggs are huge. Makes me kind of feel sorry for those chickens; I suppose they are used to it by now, but I'll bet the first dozen or so hurt like hell.

Anyway, they taste way different from the eggs we used to get from Albertsons.

I must be bored today.........

[edit on 14-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
For the love of God, someone please help me!! I have been watching chicken videos on youtube now for 18hr straight with no end in site.

This one's kinda cute.... --.warning --filthy, explicit, language and a very irreverant attitude

Dosen't your heart just swell with pride, knowing that American Youth
has nice a healthy direction and sense of purpose!!

[edit on 16-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just to bring this back on topic, here's a couple of egg cooking tips.

Ingredients
Two whites and one yolk
Sliced raw mushrooms
Smart Balance 37% spread
White sharp cheese (or your favorite)

When I fry eggs, I like to add some white sharp cheese and some mushrooms. However here's how to make a tasty dish.

Crack the eggs and put them in a cup, and separate one, removing the yolk. This gives you a favorable ratio of two whites to one yolk.

Slice the regular mushrooms, so you have a dozen pieces, raw. (Remove stems and store for use in mushroom soup or other dish, if you like. Stems are a bit too rubbery for my taste) Wash and set aside.

Heat up the frying pan with a little bit of Smart Balance spread, 37% light 'butter' substitute. It was recently touted as a good selection by the current issue of Consumer Reports. It's got half the calories of a pad of regular butter and CR says it has a very good buttery taste.

When the Smart Balance spread buttered pan is hot test it by dripping a little of the white and if it immediately cooks, you know it's ready. Don't wait too long or the Smart Balance spread will start to brown.

Add the eggs and cook. When ready, flip. (this is to cook it enough on both sides before adding anything.

After the flip, take a teaspoon or so of the grated white cheese and sprinkle it -under- the egg, so that it melts and cooks on the outside of the mini-omelet giving it a nice crispy cheese patina.

Then add the rest of the cheese and flip one half of the omelet over.

Just before removing the egg, open it and throw in the raw mushrooms. Cook for another minute or so, making the raw mushrooms warm but not cooked.

Dispense onto a plate and enjoy. Serves 1.

Feel free to make variations.

What I like is the mouth feel and slight crunchiness of the raw mushrooms, plus the egg and the outside crispy cheese patina.

(not affiliated with Smart Balance, just like the favorable Omega 3's and the absence of Trans fat).

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
nice over easy eggs 4 jumbo type, browned up hashbrowns, sage sausage, some good sour dough bread, bit cup of coffee and big glass of ice cold milk. thats liven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

now that does sound tasty, I will definitely be giving that a whirl, maybe for breakfast tomorrow

Cheers for the recipe

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Hard boiled with salt and pepper, but I just can’t stand runny egg…..just not for me…… :shk:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Wow....I can't believe this was still on the first page. Who doesn't like eggs?

How about really good bacon? You know the thicker cut stuff that has a decent amount of meat on it. Cooked just right.......with some EGGS!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Okay, I seriosuly love eggs. I got all excited when I saw this, how sad is that. I love deviled eggs.

I also love cream eggs and ham, You take ham chop it up, fry it a little to heat.
While mixing two tbsp of flour and two tbsp of butter in a pot, intill it gets thick, slowly add 2 cups of milk while mixing the entire time over a med heat, intill it becomes a white sause, add 4-6 chopped boiled eggs (using perfect boiling method below). Mix intill eggs are coated and heated through. Then add the ham. And serve over biscuits.

A easier/cheaper way is make the egg and sause the same, and serve over buttered toast. Add ham if you have it.

Perfect boiling method. This is ensure they are cooked all the way, perfect in color, no green rins, or slimey anything.

add eggs to Pot, cover one inch above eggs with Cold water.
Heat to Boil, let boil 1-2 mintues. Remove from heat and cover tightly with lid/plate for 18 minutes. While you were bioling the eggs set a bowl with ice and chilled water in the fridge or freezer big enough for the eggs. After the 18 mintues add the eggs to the ice bath. Turn old egg water in the pot back on return it to a rapid boil. Add the eggs from the ice bath back to the boiling water for 10 seconds (this helps seperate the eggs from the shell) remove place back in the ice bath and then peel.
Its alot easier/quicker than it sounds.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Dude....your perfect hard boiled egg deal is way too complicated.

All you do is fill the pan with water and then slowly add your eggs so they don't crack. Put the burner on high and the pan on it right away. Once the eggs start to boil, let them boil for exactly 9 minutes and then dump out the hot water and run them through cold water for a couple minutes to cool them off a bit.

That's it man. Perfect yolks. Solid yellow and perfect texture with not a hint of green.......YUMMY! Now eat those while warm with salt and pepper. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join