It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Air Brushing History?

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

No more than Christians. Less in fact, if you ask me. I read all the arguments from both sides and I think you all defend a weak stance.

Makes me perfect for this job, eh?

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Undo: It is nice to see that you can try to refute my one sentence that seems to be up in the air. Try some more of them.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dts01

Funny that as in nowhere in any texts is Saint Paul, after the death of Christ seen anywhere close to Italy nevermind Rome

Ah well thats Religion for ya. Nothing more than heresay. Bit crazy how we feel the need to take lives based on nothing more than a story told bye some geezer 2000 years ago.

What a big airbrush Gun you have!!!!

Paul spent time in Rome, he was a Roman citizen, where is you evidence of this nonsense?

During this first extended imprisonment (61–62), most likely in Rome, Paul probably wrote his four Prison Epistles. Three of these letters were addressed to churches in Anatolia. One hundred miles inland from Ephesus stood three churches in the Lycus River valley — Laodicea, Hierapolis, and Colossae. Two letters were addressed to Colossae, a city he apparently never visited during his time in Asia (Col. 2:1; cf. also mention of the church in Hierapolis in 4:13). The Colossian church was struggling with teaching that wrongly exalted certain legalistic regulations but misunderstood the fullness of the Deity found in Christ (2:6–23). The other letter was to an individual member named Philemon and addressed a delicate personal situation. One of his slaves named Onesimus had left without permission and found Paul in Rome, a journey of over 1000 miles! Through Paul’s influence Onesimus had become a believer, so the apostle was sending him back to be reconciled to his master. Because his emissary Tychicus and Onesimus were traveling to Asia, Paul apparently decided to write another general letter to the churches in the province. This letter is now known as the Epistle to the Ephesians. Its contents, especially in the exhortations, shares many similarities with the Colossian letter. In fact, it is probably the letter to Laodicea mentioned in Colossians 4:16.

Airbrush Proof

[edit on 3/24/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

undo, aetheists are a minority! (I almost wrote huge minority, but realized it was such an oxymoron...)

Let's see....let's review the history of the USA, and let's cite examples where Christians were persecuted.....OK, I'm waiting....

OMG! The Settlers broke away from England, for certain reasons, not the least of which was to get out from under the tyranny of the imposition of the Church of England!! AND, whilst it is certainly likely most of the men who helped found the nation subscribed to a Christian faith, it didn't matter WHICH sect!!! THey agreed to disagree, I would think, on such matters but came to a consensus that NO RELIGION should EVER be imposed on its citizens by the State. This also means that acceptance of those without religion is inherrent in the concept.

SO, if any group is 'air-brushing' history (a silly metaphor) then it's the Christians doing it!!!

[edit on 24-3-2008 by weedwhacker]

and to add...look at the state of affairs the USA is in because of a low-IQ son of a former President, a man who never was legitimately elected to any office above Governor...and, a man who thinks he can know 'What Jesus Would Do'...this is the saddest chapter in a once illustrious Country's history. SO, who is re-writing history, eh???

[edit on 24-3-2008 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
reply to post by undo

I read all the arguments from both sides and I think you all defend a weak stance.

So what say you about my stance on the previous page then? I think I cut a little deeper into the heart of this conspiracy and found something we can all agree on. Not looking to toot my own horn, but I think I'm on to something. Just wnated to get some feedback before I'm buried underneath the usual finger-pointing.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Atheists Assail Bill Recognizing America's Religious History

Interesting.
I wonder what the psychology behind this is....

The psychology of deception. How can you argue with the majority of the founding fathers own words? They just lie.

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were…the general principles of Christianity. – John Adams

[edit on 3/24/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsGodET
My thoughts...

First, I question the OP's honesty as it seems to me s/he has violated terms by "authoring" a work that is not theirs without giving reference.

That said, this is a common theme in religious debate. It seems that theists try desperately to mix the aspects of science and theism in a way so that theism is legitamized by science, while at the same time bringing down scientific knowledge. This is wrongheaded and straight out dishonest. Religion and science are two different subjects of study entirely. This OP's entire statement beggs the question of god's existence.

You see, scientific minded people start from the ideal of "we exist." Then they postulate the reason why. They come up with a hypothesis and then test it. Then they test it some more. Finally they come up with an evidenced model. Religion tries to usurp this thinking with the, excuse the term, seemingly absurd knowledge that they already have the answer. "It was written down 2,000 years ago by nearly-pre-historic sheep-herders and now we will try to reduce geniuenly open-minded thinkers and testers tests to absolute quantities they cannot answer and claim we were right all along."

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but to me this is the height of intellectual shame.

Good day.

I beg to differ with you on the separation of science and religion. All you have to do is read the recent scientific findings to see there was definitely a higher order being who created this universe. If you don't believe me, read for yourself at www.reasons.org. Astro-physics is falling right into line with Christianity, at least the God part of it. Some scientists have even been quoted as saying they "are off to joing the Church of God of the Big Bang". So while you think you know scientifically that the two should be separated, I think you should read some different scientific articles. Especially those having to do with astronomy and asto-physics.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
www.earlyamerica.com...

Copying and pasting words is easy enough, especially when there are two sides to the coin.

A few Christian fundamentalists attempt to convince us to return to the Christianity of early America, yet according to the historian, Robert T. Handy, "No more than 10 percent-- probably less-- of Americans in 1800 were members of congregations."

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

Do Think it all comes down to evil residing in man?
Yes. Every person is capable of evil and religion/atheism has little to do with the intent to do evil. It's the individual who makes the decision to commit an evil act. It's also the individual who decides to do great acts of goodness and love.
The driving force behind the ambition may be religion or atheism, but, the person decides to act on it.

Hope that answers your question.

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You do not, and I repeat, do not have to be a member of a congregation to be a Christian. I do not belong to a church...I am a Christian. In early Christianity, more people worshiped in others' homes than they did at churches...it was too difficult to get where they needed to go.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Yep thanks for the reply! I was becoming fearful that because my post was not an outright assault on anything, it would be too boring to comment on hehe. This kind of thinking seems so simple and rational it is beyond me why we still have a "you versus me" mentality around here, when it should be a us against them kinda thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker
I beg to differ with you on the separation of science and religion. All you have to do is read the recent scientific findings to see there was definitely a higher order being who created this universe. If you don't believe me, read for yourself at www.reasons.org.

Reasons.org is a religious christian site with a clear agenda.. they even seem to be open to the 'sientific theory' of a young earth.

Could you please post these "scientific findings" from an actual objective [and scientific] source?

[edit on 24-3-2008 by riley]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

And I do NOT, repeat NOT have to be a christian to go to heaven. If you think "Christianity" is the key to heaven, that's fine. I work it out differently.
"God" and I have an....understanding.

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Idle Rocker: The reason I told whomever a minute ago that they were able to throw back the only question that seemed to be up in the air had NOTHING to do with western religion. Yes it is true that modern physics and EASTERN 'thinking' seem to coelesce. But the idea that a person can claim that atheists are somehow conspiring against religion is dumbfounded at best. Theists outnumber atheists 1,000:1, at least. It seems to me that such numbers would make the believer confident in themselves and not have to result to such sophomoric standards to lash out at someone who simply doesn't believe as he does.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Undo: It is nice to see that you can try to refute my one sentence that seems to be up in the air. Try some more of them.

"Calm yourself doctor."

I just happen to think science is intrinsically tied to the same questions.
What's happened is, back about 300 years ago, German higher criticism decided all ancient history was fake and we've been in a new dark age since then. this dark age reveals new concepts the old one didn't but also holds back ALOT of data that is clearly revealed in the ancient histories of this planet, some of which sounds/looks and reads, remarkably scientific.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
"BigWhammy's" post was from, the first, dishonest, inflammatory and fraudulent. In the end, boring. I'm done with it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by idle_rocker
I beg to differ with you on the separation of science and religion. All you have to do is read the recent scientific findings to see there was definitely a higher order being who created this universe. If you don't believe me, read for yourself at www.reasons.org.

Reasons.org is a religious christian site with a clear agenda.. they even seem to be open to the 'sientific theory' of a young earth.

Could you please post these "scientific findings" from an actual objective [and scientific] source?

[edit on 24-3-2008 by riley]

Actually they do not believe in the young earth theory. They believe in the big bang and the millions of years old age of the universe. How do you get that from their website? I've visited it often.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

And I do NOT, repeat NOT have to be a christian to go to heaven. If you think "Christianity" is the key to heaven, that's fine. I work it out differently.
"God" and I have an....understanding.

Cuhail

I never said you did. In fact, I'm not sure I believe in the Christian hell so many believe in...because that's not why I believe what I do. Having said that, I do intend to investigate it further to find out what I do believe in that regard. I don't know how you've gotten that out of anything I"VE said. I have no qualms with you, my friend.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Idle Rocker: The reason I told whomever a minute ago that they were able to throw back the only question that seemed to be up in the air had NOTHING to do with western religion. Yes it is true that modern physics and EASTERN 'thinking' seem to coelesce. But the idea that a person can claim that atheists are somehow conspiring against religion is dumbfounded at best. Theists outnumber atheists 1,000:1, at least. It seems to me that such numbers would make the believer confident in themselves and not have to result to such sophomoric standards to lash out at someone who simply doesn't believe as he does.

If you read back from the beginning, you will understand the hatred put forth in the original video. Hatred grows and foments more hatred. All we're saying is that if left unchecked, this could grow into a Hitler-style hatred of Christians trying to wipe them off the face of the earth. If you think that's out of the realm of reality, I don't know what to say to you.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Well, I was replying to your post regarding home-based worship. Which, by the way, has my vote for "Best Congregation".
No worries, I wasn't reacting, I was just posting a reply.
We're all good, man!

I also don't adhere to the Hell we are introduced to in Christianity. More than that, I think we may all be inhabiting the closest thing to "Hell" and that's mortal life on the Rock.

Just a viewpoint.

Cuhail

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join