It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Air Brushing History?

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I've seen him live before, awesome guitarist. He's a Christian too. I have his first LP from like 1974 or something like that

I have to do an injection every thursday night so the worst time is the days right after... but headaches are pretty constant so far. Hey on the bright side only 22 weeks left to go

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
(while no one's here to complain, i thought i'd post this to make ya smile cause smiling kills cancer cells!)

These guys can sing!

[edit on 24-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
As much as I do feel for BW's situation, I have to re-iterate that the Topic should be returned to.

Someone is always watching.

Whammy, sorry to hear of the troubles, get well soon.

Now back to the topic!

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
reply to post by undo

I've seen him live before, awesome guitarist. He's a Christian too. I have his first LP from like 1974 or something like that

I have to do an injection every thursday night so the worst time is the days right after... but headaches are pretty constant so far. Hey on the bright side only 22 weeks left to go

BW, you've just taken, or allowed, your thread to be taken off-topic.

Sorry if you have medical issues, no one wants that for anyone. BUT, did this thread turn away from the original point, or not?

Oh, and for some reason Christianity is better than any other "religion"???
Because some guitarist you happen to like is "...a Christian too."

Your biases are too evident. THIS thread has not served its stated purpose....

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Excuse me, but that was a pretty harsh comment. How may times do you go to a thread that goes off-topic? Can't you find something else to complain about? Or is the thought of the thread just too much for you to take?

Would you like to contribute something other than complaints? Please do, I would love to hear it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Yes, sir!

Whatcha think about this topic? Just outta curiosity?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I think I should stay neutral in all your eyes. Somebody may get ticked if I render an opinion.

As far as my religion goes? Let's just say I'm a recovering Catholic.

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
reply to post by undo

I think I should stay neutral in all your eyes. Somebody may get ticked if I render an opinion.

As far as my religion goes? Let's just say I'm a recovering Catholic.

I don't know if that really matters in the long run as Skyfloating has already chimed in as a mod. I promise I will still like you!

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by rizla

Well if you attend a public school, I think you'll find there's not any reason for concern that the bible thumpers will be taking over and teaching your kids atheism.
The atheists might, though. Wait! No, they already are!

I think generally the Western school system is based on Science. Not a bad thing, IMO, though not perfect.

I have no clue why they are worried. It's like the guys on that one blog were saying (sorry forget the name of it), some of the influential atheists want 100% agreement on the subject of atheism. Now, I dunno about you, but I never agree with anyone on anything, 100%. Heck there are times I don't even agree with myself!

So some Athiests seek to impose their views on other people? Most the Athiests I've met seemed an unassuming and reasonable lot. Mind you, I disagree with them. Well, I suppose there are some zealots in any group. It would be wrong to paint all Atheists as radicals because of the odd extremist. And the same can be said of Christians.

But I still think both groups are generally wrong. But that's another topic.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My thoughts...

First, I question the OP's honesty as it seems to me s/he has violated terms by "authoring" a work that is not theirs without giving reference.

That said, this is a common theme in religious debate. It seems that theists try desperately to mix the aspects of science and theism in a way so that theism is legitamized by science, while at the same time bringing down scientific knowledge. This is wrongheaded and straight out dishonest. Religion and science are two different subjects of study entirely. This OP's entire statement beggs the question of god's existence.

You see, scientific minded people start from the ideal of "we exist." Then they postulate the reason why. They come up with a hypothesis and then test it. Then they test it some more. Finally they come up with an evidenced model. Religion tries to usurp this thinking with the, excuse the term, seemingly absurd knowledge that they already have the answer. "It was written down 2,000 years ago by nearly-pre-historic sheep-herders and now we will try to reduce geniuenly open-minded thinkers and testers tests to absolute quantities they cannot answer and claim we were right all along."

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but to me this is the height of intellectual shame.

Good day.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

Assuming you were addressing me, rocker?

OK, here goes with my opinion: The premise of this thread is flawed, right from the get-go.

I won't bore everyone, but here's an example that comes to mind...the notion of 'atheists' somehow having power to affect history is laughable
when you consider the ability of one christian body, the catholic church's propensity to steer 'facts' and only support those that 'conform' with the official story...Galileo comes to my mind first, but there are many, many other instances of 'denying' the masses, and keeping them ignorant of inconvenient facts.....

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Religion and science are two different subjects of study entirely.

No, they really aren't.
They are two subjects trying to answer many of the same questions.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ahhh, I've been away for a minute, and I'm saddened to see some of you have hardened again on your position. Let's refocus our anger on the real conspiracy, the real evil, the real threat:

Evil,Ignorant,power-hungry,self-serving, manipulative,fear-mongering, MEN!!

You think you're beliefs are being threatened by a few fringe lunatics?

Bwahahaha!!

Try the courts, making decisions in favor of whoever complains the loudest! There's a threat for you, they can actually do something!

Or how about those politicians, eager to flip-flop on you and your cause if the price is right! Better keep an eye on those guys!

What about those powerful,rich shadowy figures lurking about in courthouses, churches, and universities, applying monetary pressure to align with their agendas? Better dig up some quotes by them eh?

Personally, I'm a little more concerned about the powerful influential types seeking to destroying all of our abilities to choose in peace. These fanatics huddled ina basement drawing up Wyle E. Coyote plans to eliminate religion/Atheism are sad and worthy of concern, but not the real threat.

Look for the real evil, not the closest most easily identifiable evil. You'll find it in the hearts of men, not in the faith of God, or the reasoning of Atheism.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I have no religious denomination. I take all the good teachings from the OT, NT, BoM, etc; and encompass them into my actions. I take all the examples of "evil" or "bad" and do my very best to avoid them.
Organized religion is just another large deposit of peer pressure to me.

Screw that! I live a good, moral life and whatever God opens the door when I get there will let me know how I did.

If ya HAD to put a label on me, it would be "Agnostic/Deist". It's also how I describe my political leanings!

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Atheists Assail Bill Recognizing America's Religious History

By Matt Purple
CNSNews.com Correspondent
January 31, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - A resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives that recognizes America's "rich spiritual and religious history" is drawing fire from some of America's most prominent atheists.

The resolution, H.Res. 888, resolves to "affirm" the religious traditions that most historians say played a crucial role in America's founding. It calls religious principles and foundations "critical underpinnings" of America's institutions, condemns attempts to remove religion from U.S. history, and designates the first week in May as "American Religious History Week."

The resolution's language has aroused the anger of many atheists who see its provisions as violating the First Amendment of the Constitution and amounting to religious nationalism.

"They're throwing 25 million Americans under the bus who don't believe in the Christian faith," Rick Wingrove, the Capitol Hill representative for American Atheists, told Cybercast News Service. "If you have a piece of legislation that favors Christians, what does that say to non-Christians?"

source

Om back on topic then. Happy now?

[edit on 3/24/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Okay, thanks for posting !
BoM? (Book of Mormon?)
As a Deist, do you think Atheism is air brushing history?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Atheists Assail Bill Recognizing America's Religious History

Interesting.
I wonder what the psychology behind this is....

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
More evidence of atheists trying to rewrite history, Massive Air Brushing!!!!

Atheists Want to Hide Americas Christtian Hertiage

America's Christian heritage is a fact beyond question...at least, for those who aren't very ignorant of our history, or so hostile to our Christian heritage that they will attempt to rewrite history itself.

One only has to take a brief look at the writings of the Founders to see that this is true, and that while they intended there be no state religion, they NEVER intended that morality and religious principles be separated from our civil institutions:

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were…the general principles of Christianity. – John Adams

Human law must rest its authority ultimately upon the authority of that law which is divine. – James Wilson, signer of the Constitution, U.S. Supreme Court Judge

The practice of morality being necessary for the well-being of society…We all agree in the obligation of the moral precepts of Jesus and nowhere will they be found delivered in greater purity than in His discourses. – Thomas Jefferson

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religion but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ." - Patrick Henry

The moral principles and precepts contained in the Scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws…All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible. – Noah Webser

source

[edit on 3/24/2008 by Bigwhammy]

link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by idle_rocker

Assuming you were addressing me, rocker?

OK, here goes with my opinion: The premise of this thread is flawed, right from the get-go.

I won't bore everyone, but here's an example that comes to mind...the notion of 'atheists' somehow having power to affect history is laughable
when you consider the ability of one christian body, the catholic church's propensity to steer 'facts' and only support those that 'conform' with the official story...Galileo comes to my mind first, but there are many, many other instances of 'denying' the masses, and keeping them ignorant of inconvenient facts.....

According to The Roman Catholic Church and The present Pope, Saint Paul is burried beneath a Church in Rome.

Funny that as in nowhere in any texts is Saint Paul, after the death of Christ seen anywhere close to Italy nevermind Rome

Ah well thats Religion for ya. Nothing more than heresay. Bit crazy how we feel the need to take lives based on nothing more than a story told bye some geezer 2000 years ago.

link   
Need to elaborate.

Sorry folks, this is only my third or fourth posting here. Maybe a little behind.

Anyhow, the same applies with the Theism Vs. Science theme. But instead of it being a mistake of begging the question of your postulance it is a slippery slope of the other's being linked to supposed horrid things.

It gives the arguer the opportunity to say "hey, your s**t isn't right and guess who was like you?.. Hitler." Utter nonsense. The difference is that many attrocities have been made in the NAME OF RELIGION vs. one or more people's personaly DISbelief in it. Mixing terms is dishonest any way you chop it.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join