It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Air Brushing History?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

But it's not science doing this, con. You could blame it on the influence of some people's atheism. As I say above, atheism is unlikely to drive behaviour in general. But with someone like Dawkins, we can see the link clear enough.

Well ok you see my point then and Ill admit it mel it worries me a lot when I see that stuff everywhere. I mean you really have no idea,, I hate it.

I guess I can say if it isn't science I guess I forgot that all atheists aren't scientists which was MY own tactic for getting them to back off but you see! You are right it IS what I thought. Thanks for reminding me.

But that's just our opinion. It's not law or anything. Just like some of you may think people having abortion are murderers, or the doctors, or whoever.

Yes it IS my opinion that I am not a child abuser, and it is always the same thing with you saying we are telling kids they are going to burn in flames. I don't know ANY Christians that even worry about that because the Bible teaches us that is we have the intention to raise our kids in a christian home we don't even have to mention all that crap until they reach the age of accountability. You really should give us and the bible more credit then that.

Dawkins is such an idiot to make so many assumptions the guy is on what his 3 or 4th marriage and he thinks he can tell me about the intimate stylings of family?

I don't think you are 'all that bad'. I know many people of faith I have a very high regard for, here and in teh non-intertubz.

Well thank you I think,, lol I know I get a lot of u2u's about you too and Ill tell you this much, they may not agree with you but NO ONE calls you an idiot lol.

- Con

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are linking China/India/surrounding nations attitude towards women to Atheism? Because Atheism doesn't hold life to be "sacred", the results are the atrocities you are lamenting? This is what it seems to me you are saying based on your previous posts. Correct me if I am wrong please.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_Hell

ROFL get your head out of sci-fi, we can't make people in test tubes. And name one straight guy who wants to live in a world without sex

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Damien_Hell]

You must be pretty young Damien. I remember the first test tube baby, she is an adult now.

Jeez time flys

- Con

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Damien_Hell

The alternative is a country over run with overpopulation, poverty and starvation. The government doesn't want it this way, but compared to the WHOLE COUNTRY going to hell, this is the lesser of two evils.

And there we have it, ladies and gentlemen.
Any atrocity can be rationalized away when life isn't sacred.
Anybody is disposable, starting with those you don't like to those
who simply had the unfortunate circumstance of being born
on this planet as females. It doesn't matter, they say, since there's
no life after death, so the entire existence of those unfortunate females
is totally without meaning.

I'm depressed, thanks alot.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
I'm sorry mel, I don't know anything about that guy but If you have a link I could read about that I would right now to get caught up.

The evil atheist communistic darwinian scientists want to be able to create hybrid embryos for scientific research. Yeah, I know devil-spawn etc etc.

But I'm not looking for a value judgement. Just trying to show how an individuals faith can drive behaviour. You could be an atheist and support this bill or not. Atheism says nothing about whether hybrid embryos are good or bad.

linkity-link

That’s the difference between us where if Christians see kids getting abused and the law doesn't protect them, some of them have taken it upon themselves to stop it knowing they will go to prison for it. They don't do it because of faith; they do it because they think it is the right thing to do.

And they think it is the right thing to do because of influences from their faith, no?

Again, I'm not looking for value judgments. I don't particularly like abortion myself, but I weigh the ability for a woman to control her body as above my squirmish instincts. I even think we should bring down the time limits etc. But that's not here nor there. I personally know an atheist who is a pro-lifer. Atheism doesn't really speak to this issue.

Faith can though?

I think Science gets so used to seeing life as medical tissue that they get desensitized about just what it is they are actually doing and treat it as cavalier as flushing a goldfish down the toilet.

It's creepy

- Con

People had the same issues with IVF and stuff. Now it produces children for those unable to conceive naturally. Sometimes we need to study stuff to be able to help all of us. Hybrid embryos might appear frankensteinish, but there are some good reasons to do these studies.

You might put the sacredness of life above the possible benefits. Others don't. But the catholic MPs are being coerced into acting. I think Cormac-murphy has told MPs that they will be refused communion if they don't conform to their faith in the past (think it was abortion this time).

ABE:

Originally posted by Conspiriology
Well ok you see my point then and Ill admit it mel it worries me a lot when I see that stuff everywhere. I mean you really have no idea,, I hate it.

Heh, I'd never have guessed.

A lot of atheists are pissed off about the influences of faith on society. Much like you don't like the influence of secularism, I would guess.

Yes it IS my opinion that I am not a child abuser, and it is always the same thing with you saying we are telling kids they are going to burn in flames. I don't know ANY Christians that even worry about that because the Bible teaches us that is we have the intention to raise our kids in a christian home we don't even have to mention all that crap until they reach the age of accountability. You really should give us and the bible more credit then that.

But I don't say you all do. Some do, some don't. I wuz watching the bible-kids thing the other week in the UK, and there we had a little kid running around telling people how they will burn in hell if they don't accept his faith. So he clearly knows. It's implanted in his poor little head. Fear, threats etc.

If your faith is so robust, let the kids develop before placing this stuff in their minds. My opinion. YMMV.

Dawkins is such an idiot to make so many assumptions the guy is on what his 3 or 4th marriage and he thinks he can tell me about the intimate stylings of family?

Well, e has his trophy wife now. I don't think we should take our morals from Dawkins behaviour. But we can assess what he says, and agree or disagree.

Well thank you I think,, lol I know I get a lot of u2u's about you too and Ill tell you this much, they may not agree with you but NO ONE calls you an idiot lol.

- Con

You've actually been a comparable beacon of rationality for the faith-crew in this thread.

Hope you had a good easter sunday today.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Great rationalization, choose between women being treated bad, or women being treated WORSE , people dieing on the streets, the government loosing control and pure anarchy. I see you've made your choice

You must be pretty young Damien. I remember the first test tube baby, she is an adult now.
post a link to this

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You realize they starve their female children to death after they are born? And find various ways to murder them, so as to avoid government entanglements?
The solution was to simply teach the people to exercise self-restraint, not officially sanctioned gendercide.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_Hell
reply to post by Conspiriology

...people who think their might be a god are agnostics, not atheists. And Buddhists are technically atheists because Buddhas not a god. What did I not understand?

This part: See Below

here is what newworldover said
" and in the back of their minds, they still might consider it possible that there is a 'God' or a universal consciousness. In fact, I've already seen atheists call themselves Buddhists etc."

this where Buddha fits
" or a universal consciousness. In fact, I've already seen atheists call themselves Buddhists etc."

- Con

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The solution was to simply teach the people to exercise self-restraint, not officially sanctioned gendercide.

Last time I checked, self restraint doesn't help you get a boy and when exactly did the government sanction the murder of all the girls?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Did you read the gendercide link?

Read this! Seriously! Click it!

www.gendercide.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Welcome to the real world.

On July 25, 1978, Louise Joy Brown, the world's first successful "test-tube" baby was born in Great Britain. Though the technology that made her conception possible was heralded as a triumph in medicine and science, it also caused many to consider the possibilities of future ill-use.

testtube

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

You realize they starve their female children to death after they are born? And find various ways to murder them, so as to avoid government entanglements?
While I would agree that these people you refer to obviously don't value life, I don't think that is a product of Atheism, or any other belief system. It's either because they are terrified of the government, or they're just sadly misguided fools who put some other priority over the priority of caring for the life they created.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Gigatronix]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

ok now answer the second part, find a straight guy who's willing to live in a world without sex. And also link somewhere where it shows that ALL women are being killed off, cause last time I looked, they're were more girls then guys here

and undo I did a quick search, nowhere did it say government sanction, or government approval and I really don't see how we got here from atheism

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Sorry I wasn't involved in that conversation. I view life as sacred because we are all made in the image of God. Glad i could help you with the link though.
You're welcome.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

I view life as sacred because its the only chance you got, hey look an Atheist who considers life sacred

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

their atheist government is implicit in the decision:
====

Nonetheless, the argument advanced in the maternal mortality case-study holds true in this case as well: governments and other actors can be just as guilty of mass killing by neglect or tacit encouragement, as by direct murder. R.J. Rummel buttresses this view, referring to infanticide as

another type of government killing whose victims may total millions ... In many cultures, government permitted, if not encouraged, the killing of handicapped or female infants or otherwise unwanted children. In the Greece of 200 B.C., for example, the murder of female infants was so common that among 6,000 families living in Delphi no more than 1 percent had two daughters. Among 79 families, nearly as many had one child as two. Among all there were only 28 daughters to 118 sons. ... But classical Greece was not unusual. In eighty-four societies spanning the Renaissance to our time, "defective" children have been killed in one-third of them. In India, for example, because of Hindu beliefs and the rigid caste system, young girls were murdered as a matter of course. When demographic statistics were first collected in the nineteenth century, it was discovered that in "some villages, no girl babies were found at all; in a total of thirty others, there were 343 boys to 54 girls. ... [I]n Bombay, the number of girls alive in 1834 was 603."

Rummel adds: "Instances of infanticide ... are usually singular events; they do not happen en masse. But the accumulation of such officially sanctioned or demanded murders comprises, in effect, serial massacre. Since such practices were so pervasive in some cultures, I suspect that the death toll from infanticide must exceed that from mass sacrifice and perhaps even outright mass murder." (Rummel, Death by Government, pp. 65-66.)

www.gendercide.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

They killed both defective boys and girls back then, because if they were defective they would die young or become a hinder of the family

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's so frustrating! He's not hearing me because all he can hear is a christian! He's not looking at what the words are saying! All he sees is "christian trying to attach atheism to murder"! What I'm trying to do is prove that if life has no sacred value, and there's no big guy in the sky who will ask you to account for your actions, this kind of atrocity will be global and it will be rationalized away when the correct answers are so very simple!

I. give. up!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Why are we stuck in infanticide?

If we take the bible at face value, wiping out first-borns and kids can also be associated with theism.

Wasn't it all first borns in egypt? Life is just so sacred, except for the unworthy.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
It's so frustrating! He's not hearing me because all he can hear is a christian! He's not looking at what the words are saying! All he sees is "christian trying to attach atheism to murder"! What I'm trying to do is prove that if life has no sacred value, and there's no big guy in the sky who will ask you to account for your actions, this kind of atrocity will be global and it will be rationalized away when the correct answers are so very simple!

So your not trying to attach atheism to infanticide, just the non-belief in god to infanticide....I'm confused

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join