It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stellar thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thank you to Crakeur for the idea...and his use of the word "Stellar'.
Many members here remember what it was like "In my Day". Whether you were a child of the 60's, 70's 80's or even early 90's for out younger members..there are certain slang words that were a sign of the times.
My era was the 80's and I remember either talking the lingo of a headbanging rock metal head..or a valley girl.
Words like..
Awesome
Radical
Gnarly
Bodacious
Bogus
Gag me with a spoon ( Or ) Gag me with a dog biscuit
Dude
For sure
like totally
Heinous

There are so many more..and the best was using them all together...

Like for sure,that dude was totally bodacious!
OR
LIKE OH MY GOD, GAG ME WITH A SPOON, LIKE TOTALLY!

Holy frickin geez..I really talked like that???
You BET!
What are some of your favorite slang words from 'your era"
Keeping in mind the T&C..of course.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I try to stay away from slang and even most fads. But I think you forgot one: Shwing!

The following is present day...

People around me often use: Dude, your mom, cool. Although surprisingly I haven't heard much slang since last year.

Last year and a couple years before I can remember people using: biach, bunghole, hella, diss, wigger.

Then there was the 'shizzle' thing.

And of course all the generic cussing.

Oh ya! And there's always teh 1337 speak and such and lol pwnt etc...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I had a blast from the past when I saw "stellar".It was of the words I used as a teen.

I know I'm dating myself here and my age is no secret.
I've used "far out", "wicked","sweet"..........now I'm drawing a blank.It's a good thing I don't experiment like I used to.There's an Airplane line in there somewhere, but I won't give in to the urge.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
lol

I still say "bogus"...

As in, "omg sweet-n-low so does not taste like real sugar, it's just bogus! BOGUS I TELL YOU! Bogus!"

boooooooooooooooo GUS!

heheh

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachelor
lol

I still say "bogus"...

As in, "omg sweet-n-low so does not taste like real sugar, it's just bogus! BOGUS I TELL YOU! Bogus!"

boooooooooooooooo GUS!

heheh

Like OMG NO WAY! That is just totally heinous!

EWWW Sweet n Low..Gag me with a barf bag..like totally.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Arse

Feck

Drink

Girls

MonKey

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of fad slang. The words of my youth, which I still use today, are more personal fad slang words that were only spoken by my friends and were, for the most part, incomprehensible to the normal folks.

Of course I used, and still use, the rather new englandish wicked to describe things and, according to my wife, one night when I kissed her goodnight I apparently whispered "you're wicked" into her ear and her knees buckled.

I am not one to use terms that sound out of place coming out of my mouth so it is safe to say I never referred to something as mac daddy or the bomb but I have been known to exclaim "that's the nuts" and, thanks to a former secretary, I have said "hit me on the hip" (call me on the cell phone/beep me (outdated now I know), I have never used "bouncing the hot joint" or "knock the stuffin out your egg mcmuffin" in conversation but I do love those to expressions.

of course I do use "dude" and "man" enough to make it seem like I'm forever auditioning for a role in Dazed and Confused 2.

I rarely, if ever use text speak in my online activity. Aside from the random lol, my posts and emails and text messages are devoid of the text speak and the smileys. I find them to be the end of civilization and, in the case of the smileys, just annoying.

so, the next time you respond to me with a bunch of smileys and letters that don't spell anything out, my lack of a coherent response is a combination of my complete lack of understanding and the shutdown of grey matter in an attempt to revert back to the days when I read picture books.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Originally posted by Crakeur

"knock the stuffin out your egg mcmuffin"

LOLOLOLOL!!!!
WTF!!
ROFLMAO!!!!

There you go..text speak..random letters and smilies..

You wanna borrow this???

OK nuff said...

new topics

top topics

join