It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast Tests DVR That Watches You... Literally!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Comcast Tests DVR That Watches You... Literally!!

techdirt.com

Comcast has been experimenting (internally only) with putting cameras into DVRs in order to determine who and how many people are watching. Comcast lays out the reasons why this might be useful -- such as recognizing if a child is watching, so that child content filters are automatically turned on, or merely recognizing certain preferences based on who's watching. However, the creepiness factor of such an offering is quite high, and I doubt many people would be comfortable with such a camera --
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.broadbandreports.com
newteevee.com

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I just can't believe this one!

This surely CAN'T be legal!

They are only experimenting with this right now they say!

Their reason for wanting to put a camera in your Comcast DVR box, the TV will be able to identify you and then it will be able to pick ou the sort of programs that you like to watch!

This is just insane, I sure hope this 'experiment' never gets out to the public.

If this is allowed, I could see law enforcement getting warrants to be able to watch you in your home and people spying on each other by "hacking" into the system.

The government probably loves this idea!

Heck, the government may even be pushing Comcast to do this!

Thru Comcast they would be able to watch whoever they wanted to (with a Comcast DVR box), whenever they wanted to, in the name of "terrorism" of course.

techdirt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/3/08 by Keyhole]

CX

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Another thread on this posted a couple of days ago.

Comcast Cameras To Start Watching You?

CX.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Not acceptable. That is total invasion of privacy. The box may be needed to get the channels, but if it was in my house you can bet that it would be wrapped over with cardboard and duct tape!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hmmm...I'm starting to think 1984 was a prophetic text and not just a novel of biting social commentary. Very scary stuff. Thinking about taping over the lense? That's vandalism of private property, and a trip to the Ministry of Love for you. Welcome to the future...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Since this is being discussed already, I'm closing the thread. Please continue with your thoughts over here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join