It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
My support is 100% for the independent truckers. I hope they shut everything down for a month.

Everyone in the USA needs to wake the hell up and I think this is a very good start.

Time to show the pukes on Wall Street who is really doing the work here in the USA.

Truckers and the Farmers are some of the hardest working groups in the USA.

The independent farmers also need a strong union, so they can get their fare share.

I am tired of seeing the grunts getting screwed from every angle.

Time to share the wealth with the people that really do the work.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well damn. I'm almost shocked by the support in this thread. I'll admit, I've had the mindset that most people who don't know a trucker are idiots. I'd have to say, that after the last few months, my mindset is changing, especially when someone walks up to me and says they support truckers and all the # we put up with.

Now, in reference to my fellow trucker's, The Redneck, statement on the issue with getting a cdl, here's the scoop. The only real big change is that you will now be required to take a CDL course at your local college. Here in Wa State, it's a 6 week course.

I do know, that as of right now, the trucking industry is some 110,000 drivers needed. Most people can't/won't do it because most jobs are OTR and require you to be away from home weeks at a time. The regional haulers and in state/local haulers are hard to get into, as they like the option of being home every night, or at least on weekends.

Now, in retrospect, a strike will not work unless every last trucker on the road will park. However, if they do, you'll have someone else who will jump at the chance to have a job, and then the guys who started the strike will be on the side of the road, jobless. In every type of job, you have a cutthroat, or someone who is willing to do the job you won't, and it's no different for truckers.

I do have to say, that IMO, the prices of everything will come back down, at some point in time, and soon, as there is a ceiling on it; maybe not prices itself, but a ceiling on how far you can puch people before they push back.

And one more thing. Guys in the 80's were making as much money as I make now. When I had a company job, I pulled in an average of 50 k, but it doesn't go far anymore. A guy I worked with, he used to drive truck in the late 70's through late 80's, and he made 50k a year, and was considered wealthy. Fuel, food, and taxes have all went up, while the pay has stayed pretty much the same. Somethings wrong.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

No question, we need to find alternative energy sources. Placing the blame on the "pukes" isn't completely accurate. A lot of the blame can go to the do-gooder/tree hugger environmentalists. Don't get me wrong, protecting the environment is good. But, they've pushed through so much legislation and iimposed so many taxes/fines that these alternative energy sources can't possibly be built. Remember nuclear energy? No new plants have been built in the USA for as long as no new oil refineries have been built. 3-mile Island was 1960s technology (Chernobyl was 1970's I believe). Imagine how safe it would be now with MODERN technology. Naval ships have been using it safely for years.

In my city, the city council recently denied a permit for a new ethanol plant because it would have been "coal-fired". Damnit, we aren't talking about the smoking lung-choker plants that are being built in China. Modern "Western" coal plants burn a heck of a lot more cleaner. But, the environmentalists and our local liberal newspaper stood up and got it shot down.

America is way too over-regulated. Someday, these laws are going to have to be re-examined in light of technological advances.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NwestJagsfan
Well damn. I'm almost shocked by the support in this thread. I'll admit, I've had the mindset that most people who don't know a trucker are idiots. I'd have to say, that after the last few months, my mindset is changing, especially when someone walks up to me and says they support truckers and all the # we put up with.

Join the club. I feel the same way, after dealing with the idiots at some of the shippers for so long.

The Redneck, statement on the issue with getting a cdl, here's the scoop. The only real big change is that you will now be required to take a CDL course at your local college. Here in Wa State, it's a 6 week course.

Unless they've changed it, that's only part of the drill. Last report I heard was that new CDLs would be good for Intrastate purposes for three years. If after that, the holder had no tickets/accidents, they would be allowed to upgrade to an Interstate license. Present CDL holders would be grandfathered in. Has this changed?

Guys in the 80's were making as much money as I make now. When I had a company job, I pulled in an average of 50 k, but it doesn't go far anymore. A guy I worked with, he used to drive truck in the late 70's through late 80's, and he made 50k a year, and was considered wealthy. Fuel, food, and taxes have all went up, while the pay has stayed pretty much the same. Somethings wrong.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Trucking used to be a real money-maker, which made up for those weeks away from home, but it's been stagnant for way too long. I could support my family better at my first job with Burlington making .27 per mile than I could on my last OTR job with Southern Cal, making .33 per mile. That's why a lot of older drivers are leaving; the pay isn't worth the job anymore for a lot of them.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Unless they've changed it, that's only part of the drill. Last report I heard was that new CDLs would be good for Intrastate purposes for three years. If after that, the holder had no tickets/accidents, they would be allowed to upgrade to an Interstate license. Present CDL holders would be grandfathered in. Has this changed?

Not that I know of. See, I'm a local driver, hauling Alfalfa from central Washington to the greater Seattle area, so I never really have to go out of state. So to me, the biggest change is the stupid schooling crap.

However, looking at the FMC's website, it looks as if you are right.

Just as a by thought....I bought my own truck in January, and started hauling the 6th. (Been driving for awhile, and the whole family has been driving since the 60's, so I'm not a newbie...LOL) On the 6th, I paid $3.25 for diesel. Today, I'll be paying $4.08 out of our 4,000 gallon tank. Cool stuff, huh?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 16grit
This last week I was just laid off from my job at a freight truck repair shop. We usually serviced corporate freight liners like FedEx and USF Holland, but we aslo fixed up trucks from the coal terminal and ship yards. It was rare that we fixed an "independent" truck. The price-gouging of diesel isn't only hurting the independents; most of the corporates we worked are cutting back their fleets, meaning less less trucks to repair.

When the truckers have to cut corners, repair shops must do the same.
When repair shops start hurting, so do the parts suppliers.
If parts suppliers lose business, I imagine the manufacturers shall, also.

I lost my job because the shop was no longer profitable and I was the most junior technician. I can't imagine what sort of ripple effects are being felt in agriculture.

I can certainly see what you're talking about. The shop I'm working for mainly covers fleets, but we do have some o/o drivers that come in regularly. There is a guy who owns about 4-5 trucks, and I've noticed that he has a truck parked right now.

As far as cutting corners is concerned, I am very much familiar with that. I couldn't tell you how many FHWAs we've performed only to be told, "Just repair the DOT stuff, and keep the water out." Myself, I believe that it should be fixed, and fixed right, but I understand the need to save money. It's when they try to pass off DOT stuff that really aggravates me.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Did the strike start?

Any news or coverage anywhere?

I just did a search and media is saying it is all hype and BS, they are making a joke out of it saying it was an April Fools joke.

www.theheraldbulletin.com...

I hope to hear from independent truckers on this issue.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It showed up on CNN this morning... it still looks like its up in the air.. even though the article says if t was going to happen it would start monday midnight.. sounds a little disorganized

www.wesh.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
While not a driver I do work in the industry (logistics brokerage). One scary aspect of the timing of this strike is that this is the beginning of the produce-hauling season in the US. Alot of our normal carriers that we book are busy running other lanes with produce.

A strike like this could have greater impact than just Wall Street.

I hope everything works out for ya'll

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yes they are doing it now. Good for them because they need to get everyones attention namely Congress.

www.breitbart.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join