It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why/how does 666 represent satan?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by realism
i heard that basically everything in this world that is to do with evil is upside down or backwards, (the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't exist, and he hides in many things that people believe to be good) and that makes the actual number of the devil or satan or whatever 999.... coincidentally the number of the police in england!

just a thought for you!

I mostly agree with this theory and remember reading it somewhere else. The devil is the master of deception which by itself is one of the biggest sins.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by exnyconnection
the real number of satan is 616

I understand this to be true as well.

616 is the esoteric numerical representation of the Sun. The Sun is esoterically considered the ultimate source of life-giving energies around us, and a strong metaphor for an enlightened or illuminated individual; a "Christ;" Jesus himself was a metaphor.

I think if you go far enough "down the rabbit hole," you might find the reason "666" is considered evil now, has to do with the early Catholic Church and their corruption/eradication of sects and teachings like the Gnostics', and everything representative of personal empowerment and illumination. It's "evil" because it would be bad for the church (and every other major power institution on the face of the planet!) if you realized what all the old spiritualities and mystery schools were really about. All your puppet strings would be instantly cut if you realized the light is all within yourself.

It's even been in the mainstream news at least once before, that some Hebrew scholars have found 666 to be an ignorant corruption of the number 616, just as the Greek "eon" (literally an undefined period of time) would later become "eternity." It's just piles upon piles of misinformation and corruption descending down through the ages, cultures, and languages.

My 2 cents anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

well i was going to say that afew of us have checked out our national insurance ,bank,I.D cards and one of them has 666, dont we have to all have the mark of the beast in order to even buy food in those days?

maybe will check for 616 instead!!

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I found a National Geographic article that has a little more about it:

Classical Greek and Roman literature is being read for the first time in 2,000 years thanks to new technology. The previously illegible texts are among a hoard of papyrus manuscripts. Scholars say the rediscovered writings will provide a fascinating new window into the ancient world.

[...]

So far 65 volumes of transcripts and translations have been published by the London-based Egypt Exploration Society, which owns the collection.

The latest volume includes details of fragments showing third- and fourth-century versions of the Book of Revelations. Intriguingly, the number assigned to "the Beast" of Revelations isn't the usual 666, but 616.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Then I found this on a blog that gives additional sources and goes into a little more detail:

My copy of Nestle-Aland (27th ed.) at Revelation 13:18 lists for the variant reading "616" only "C; Ir mss" (the 5th century uncial manuscript C and some manuscripts cited by Irenaeus). A 3rd or 4th century papyrus containing this reading would be extremely significant, although probably not enough to outweigh the many witnesses for "666."

As Bruce Metzger points out in his Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (1971), the numerical value of "666" is derived from the Hebrew/Aramaic values for the letters comprising the name נרון קסר, "Nero Caesar" (in Greek Νέρων Καῖσαρ) The variant "616" results from the alternate spelling נרו קסר.

For those of you unfamiliar with the numerical values of the Hebrew alphabet, the values in the above name are nun = 50, resh = 200, waw = 6, nun = 50, quph = 100, samekh = 60, resh = 200. Add 'em up!

The name "Nero Caesar" (נרון קסר) actually appears in a scroll from the Judean Desert, Murabbaat 18, dated to the "second year of Nero Caesar" (55/56 CE).

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Delbert Hillers, "Revelation 13:18 and a Scroll from Murabbaat," BASOR 170 (1963), p. 65.

ralphriver.blogspot.com...

After reading over some other links that get into Gematria and a bunch of other stuff that's over my head, apparently there's still a strong case that 666 was the real "number of the beast" and that 616 was the error. The magic square of the Sun as I can find it online adds up to a grand total of 666. Either way, that seems to be where the most significant difference would be made.

According to another site I found,

After the Church became the state religion of the Roman empire, possessing the diagram below could get you burned at the stake!

www.jesus8880.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Not that it's really that important or anything, but IMO I wouldn't jump on the 616 bandwagon yet. I guess the story is that it comes from Oxford students who, using advanced imaging techniques examined a tiny piece of papyrus found in the Upper Egyptian desert, that was part of an old book of Revelations.

I don't understand how someone can come right out and say "616 is the original number" just because its written that way on a very small piece of what used to be a scroll. Don't get me wrong, I realize the Bible's we have today are mistranslated but to insist that every other Bible is wrong about the number because of one single piece of possible contradicting evidence is kind of silly.

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
666 is three times not 7.

I don't quite understand what you're saying, yes 7 is a divine number, God rested on the seventh day, blessed it as the sabbath (Saturday not Sunday
)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JKersteJr

bit late telling me that now JKersteJr

i've already checked to see do have any 616 numbers attached to my existence and yes i have

but not in sequence?

lets face it, its just a number isn't it?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It very well could be just a number, but it could also be some sort of parable, which the Bible is riddled with. I've never really given the whole 666 much thought to be honest, but when people associate it with Satan or the "Anti-Christ" I feel the need to clarify to the best of my understanding.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The keywords are: " 666 CALCULATOR CHANNEL YOU TUBE"

Once there you will find all the videos on 666 and a bunch of great videos about 9/11

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Here is a possible clue for what a 666 may mean.

Read the context.
The beast which received the deadly wound.
Then a new beast comes up from the earth to give the previous beast power again in order to spew its blasphemies.
Two horned beast is this empire. Think, Anglo/American, which brings about a new country flying the flag of 666, which is of a man, but not from God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join