It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why/how does 666 represent satan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Why/how does 666 represent satan?

Someone please explain this because I am interested to learn. This may not be directly related to secret society conspiracies but I think they are more knowledgable in religion and/or occultism and thus provide some clues.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
666 is the number of man. The worldly mans nature being satanic or, lacking grace, parallels the man himself with satan.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It is the biblical number from revelations. There is an apposing take from one group that says the satan is man, until he is perfected.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Here is a fun site that offers some theories as well as a numerology calculator to play with:

www.666myth.co.nr...

Remember its all in fun.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This probably belongs in BTS: Faith, Spirituality & Theology, or ATS: Mythical Beasts (see "Number of the _")

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

So basically everything of earthly nature is satanic or satan resides within earth?

e=5
a=1
r=18
t=20
h=8

and

d=4
e=5
v=22
i=9
l=12

Both words have a numerical value of 52 and the english alphabet is composed of 26 letters.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dk3000

Thanks. It looks like a good site with tons of material.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
the real number of satan is 616

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by exnyconnection
the real number of satan is 616

The number of Emmanuel is 644. That's the way the names and numbers add up in the Hebrew alphabet.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I once heard that the number 666 was basically a Latin translation thing. Using the Roman numerals I, V, X, L, C, and D. (1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500)

It adds up to 666. God was represented by M, somehow.

Been a long time....

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I thought that 666 repersented the AntiChrist, not Satan. Maybe I should go back and see what John realy wrote

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lost in the midwest

666 is, as translated in the KJV Bible, the number of a man, and also the number of the Beast referred to in Revelations 13, which I think a lot of people commonly mistake for the "Anti-Christ". To my knowledge the word antichrist is only used in the Bible twice (both in John) to describe someone who denies Jesus as the Savior, not an evil, apocalyptic figure who rises to power...that would be the False Prophet IMHO, also discussed in Revelations.

So 666 doesn't exactly represent Satan, people just associate the number with evil.

[edit on 3/22/2008 by JKersteJr]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
BTW, there are plenty of other interpretations of the meaning behind the number 666, many think it is just a name, some say Nero, some say Caligula. Other religions view the number as anything but evil, many many various opinions.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, I quest it is easy to remember what is commonly said and not so easy to remember what you have read. I went back and took a look for my self. I wonder how much has be lost due to translation?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i heard that basically everything in this world that is to do with evil is upside down or backwards, (the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't exist, and he hides in many things that people believe to be good) and that makes the actual number of the devil or satan or whatever 999.... coincidentally the number of the police in england!

just a thought for you!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Everyone is wrong. I, plucky, will answer your question.

666 is three times not 7. The number 7 being divine, the number of Christ.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It is part of a Beast system like a trade mark in the economy its value adds up to that number which also translates back to a name that probably invented it. It is economic, it is also a security seal and an ID pass on humans and other products which will be consumed by this Mark or signiture. Which once figured out, people will and expose it and those running away from it to be killed for not worshipping it.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think this is one of the better plain English (i.e. non-academic) explanations:
www.straightdope.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hello People, hope yer all well.

Saw an amazing documentary on Channel 4 (UK 18:45 GMT) called The Secrets of the Twelve Disciples. Very interesting.
In the programme it gives some explantion to the routes of Revelations and the meaning behind The Number of The Beast.
First and foremost tells the story of The Disciples though.
666 It's not what you think. Much of Revelations was written in code. Now I don't mean Dan Brown code or some other fiction writer. But like much of The Bible, New Testament mostly it's been altered over the years to suit the needs of the Church. The Roman Catholic Church and it's efforts to rid Europe of anything other than Catholic beliefs.

Even talks about Judas. And why he's THE, if you like, original baddy. And poses the question, was he actually the first hero. Taking his own life to basically save the faces of the rest of the disciples.

Turns out he may not have been the nasty bastard we've been led to believe.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dts01

That sounds like an interesting documentary. If you could find a link to that doco it would be great to watch.
Personaly I dont think we can really understand the bible till we are able to read it for oursleves in the original words. Reason being is that there have been that many translations and that many different versions of the thing that parts that are supposed to have a lot of meaning may have lost that.

-fm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join