It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan bankrupt the U.S.S.R., destroying it. What will the war in Iraq do to the U.S.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I just heard the new projected long term cost of our war in Iraq is going to be in the trillions of dollars. Bush, when he first proposed this war on terror said it would cost us about $50 billion and now we are into it for about $500 billion. I can only think back to us arming and supporting Afghanistan which put the final nail in the U.S.S.R.'s coffin.

Is this just stupidity or is someone pulling the strings a calculated move to bankrupt the U.S… It seems to be working and there is still no end in sight. The U.S.S.R. was only in one country, we are in two and rumors of a war with Iran are still running strong; how much more can we take before we collapse? The U.S. economy is already hurting and we are spending money we don’t have to finance this war. Can we really afford to do this for another 10-15 years, its already been 5 and look how much we are in the hole.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sometimes I often wonder if the US is making plans to default on it's loans, in the meantime trying to rack up as much debt as it can before it does that.

Is it part of the NWO? To start with a clean slate?

Just speculating.

Could it even be the end of the federal reserve system? Abolish it, forgive it's own debts and start a new system of indebtedness?

But of course this would not sit well with those who are owed, so what do you do, try to rule over them as best you can, if you control something, you don't owe Jack Squat.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Its an interesting point, however, probably not. The USSR had an entirely different economic base and set up when compared to the US.

The economic markets, and the economy is far more diverse and robust. For even all of the falloff of late R&D remains a huge engine and innovation is rampant.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The USSR was in dire straits well before the Afghanistan invasion. To say that "Afghanistan bankrupt the USSR" isn't really true; it's like losing money hand over fist over and over in a multitude of poor investment decisions and have your own business fail and then go to like buy a hooptie car with your last remaining couple hundred. You can't really say buying the car bankrupt you- it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I don’t think Afghanistan was the soul demise of the Soviet Union; it was the final "nail in the coffin". The soviets bankrupted themselves tying to keep up with the U.S. in the Cold War; though I have always heard that the U.S. intentionally supported Afghani rebels knowing that it would help bleed the Soviets dry.

I realize the U.S. is much better of financially but I see lots of military contractors including Halliburton, in which are vice president was formally a big wig at, getting very wealthy: They gave him quite a retirement package from what I hear. He's also the most powerful vice president ever. WW II got us out of the depression; this war is sucking the U.S. dry, where’s all the money going. Who will underwrite our multi trillion dollar debt?

We have a president with extremely strong ties with oil. The question I have is what Bush is going to do once he gets out of office. He may fall out of the limelight, but I think who he ends up aligning himself with, a few years after office, will tell you a lot about his umbrella of influence.

The breakdown of the banking industry is happening perfectly, just at the wrong time. I have dabbled in subprime myself and looking at many peoples credit reports, I myself would not finance many of them a free pack of bubblegum. How could these lending institutions, supposedly run by intelligent businessmen, be so stupid? When someone's had a history of credit card charge-offs, a car repossessed, and a bankruptcy, showing a history of not paying anything, get a home or car loan; especially at 21%? Giving someone a high interest loan that has a history of not paying almost guarantees that contract never fulfilled.

When you’re a loan officer at a bank, you don’t really have the soul decision making ability of who gets a loan and who doesn’t. They are given a formula and a computer algorithm that looks at their debt to income ratio, revolving debt, late payments and so on. Based on that given time the bank chooses how lax or stingy it may be on loan decisions. A loan officer really doesn’t care personally what happens because it’s not his money.

Look at our trucking super highways going through Canada and Mexico. Then you have the new agreement we made with our northern buddies to allow mutual military assistance in domestic terrorism: The devaluing of our dollar. You have “New Word Order” come out of Bush Sr.’s mouth a bunch of times in the past.

The idea seems crazy to think this all may influenced by some entity. It does seem like a finally orchestrated plan plaid delicately, a gentile symphony of destruction. 17,000 people in Washington are loosing or about to loose their home and the government is going to have to step in. People are so shocked by all this craziness going on in the world they don’t know what to do. They don’t think “why it’s happening” or “what’s causing it”, they are just in shock with vacuous looks on their face, deer in headlights.

We need to look at the benefactors of all this, maybe that will tell us something: But the lines are skewed and alliances are foggy it’s not easy to see who’s in collusion. Who wants war; who wants a devalued dollar; who wants our banking system to fall; who wants real estate prices to drop; who wants oil and gold prices to skyrocket?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Not just the war in Iraq but I get your point. As was pointed out by JoJo, the USSR's war in Afghanistan certainly contributed but it was the prolonged arms race that bled them. I believe the US is in a very similar situation looking at the War on Terror, the Afghanistan War, the Iraq War and all of the international pay-outs to subsidize our military presence in foreign countries. It is utterly unsustainable and we are just about at the end of the proverbial rope.

Although I believe there exists some kind of NWO, I think greed is the motivator to this current administration's agenda. They've known all along that they were trashing the economy but in the now infamous words of VP Dick Cheney, "So?". We all may be taking it up the chute but remember, there is a small cabal not very far removed from Bush & Co. that are making truly obscene amounts of money in oil, military materiel, miitary support services (i.e., Haliburton) and international banking. Not everyone is being bankrupted.

new topics

top topics

join