It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soup Kitchens On The Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is for all of the people who think that everything is great in the country here is a link to a story I saw on the news last night
www.wptv.com...

This soup kitchen opened up in our town and the lady who runs it says demand is increasing at hers just like they are all over the nation. Now I know there are soup kitchens all over and this is not new news but it struck me when she was asked about the people who come in and she responded

"most of the people who come here have jobs...the paycheck simply can't stretch enough to buy food."

Now thats scary. I know all about the well get more educated and get a better job bit and I understand that but this is America and I think if anyone should starve let alone a family who works full time.

This is further proof that the middle class is slowly moving to the poor category and the poor ...I feel for anyone in that position. I just made a donation to these guys today its a great cause and Im glad that some people are looking out for others.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Looks like a real nice soup kitchen. I wish mine was so nice.

The one I go to is a very depressing place, and you can see on the faces of the patrons that everyone is completely miserable. No one talks while they are eating, there are no smiles. The food itself is mediocre to poor in taste and nutirition, but I am glad to have it. Also, they do not give you anything to take home, and are only open for a lunch.

There are "food banks" you can go to if you need a bag of groceries to take home, but ususally you can only get one bag every three months if your are single, or once a month with a family. You also have to sign a release that you are eating the food "at your own risk" since much of it is well past the expiration dates or in damaged packaging.

Now that I've lost my apartment, I am a more frequent visitor of the soup kitchen, when I am able to get there. It's well out of walking distance most days. When I still had my place, there were some tough weeks where I would have to supplement like this just to keep the power turned on.

I think we're going to see a lot more of this in the near future. I hope I run into some of the morons who have sat there trying to blame poor people for being poor, so I can kick 'em in the shin and steal their soup.

join