It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boomerang Works In Space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Boomerang Works In Space

www.news.com.au

IN an unprecedented experiment, a Japanese astronaut has thrown a boomerang in space and confirmed it flies back much like on Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I would love to see this. thats awsome i dont know but will the boomarang fly in slow motion or what? and imagine how awsome it would look lol it will take 10 mins to go and come back lol. What u guys rekon?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Out there .. astronaut Takao Doi threw a boomerang in space after a request from compatriot, Yasuhiro Togai, a world boomerang champion

The space agency said a videotape of the experiment would likely be released later.

Source

Cant wait for the vide to be released if it ever does?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

The Boomarang He Used

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

Really cool, SaadAdam! But when you say "boomerang", i conjure up
an old memory of the 'Feral Kid' in 'Road Warrior', with Mel Gibson, when
he uses his boomerang to take-out one of the nomad bikers...

THEN, he throws it again; and another nomad runs to catch it, and gets
his fingers cut off !!!!!!! lol, extremely!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

LOL mell gibson australian actor i think? Yeh i thought it was the old aboriginal boomarang @ first. then i saw the pics and it looks like a 20th century make or something around that?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
He appears to have thrown it within the capsule which, while zero G, does contain an earthlike atmosphere. This would only remove gravity as a factor in boomerang operation, proving that it depends solely on the aerodynamics of the boomerang and centrifical forces generated by the spinning mass. Now if he threw it outside and it returned, then you have something.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The first thing I thought was "how does a boomerang work in a vacuum?". I didn't even consider they threw it inside. Very cool.

In keeping with the toys in space motif:

On July 31,1992, an SB-2 (yo-yo) was sent aloft by NASA for a real around-the-world ride on the Atlantis space shuttle. It was employed as a prop for an educational video. Astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman put it through zero G maneuvers including slow motion yo-yoing. The yo-yo traveled 3,321,007 miles and went around the world 127 times before returning to Earth on August 9. Above all it affirmed the rejuvenating value of fun and play for all people (astronauts included).
Off-line source

It appears it was used to demonstrate tethered satellite technology.
They found that a yo-yo will not "sleep" at zero-g.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I thought he threw it outside the space ship!!! I was going to say it probably files more like a satellite!! I wonder if you could throw a boomerang from a satellite(geosync orbit) (carefully) and have it slingshot around the planet and come back?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I thought he threw it outside the space ship!!! I was going to say it probably files more like a satellite!! I wonder if you could throw a boomerang from a satellite(geosync orbit) (carefully) and have it slingshot around the planet and come back?

Yeah how cool would that be!

Didnt some russian cosmonaut hit a golf ball off the ISS? I wonder if that burned up on reentry or if he hit it with a high enough angle it could still be in orbit.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

For a while, I expect it would remain in orbit, seeing as it would be going even faster than the ISS itself after being struck. However, I would also imagine it would eventually return to earth seeing as it has no propulsion method to correct it's orbit or keep it going.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
its not outside tho, lol that would have been freaky and impossible,

while its inside the spaceship its in oxygen witch would explain why it work

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Great! Now all we need is some kangaroos in space, and there would be a reason for having a boomerang up there

I don't get how this constitutes news... It's a bit like saying a flashlight works in space... well duh!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mizzu

Ahh yeh i was wondering y he was inside i think it would be diffrent if he was outside and had a suit on very diffrent yeh? and if it came back it would be something wouldent it

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

A YO-Yo now thats super cool in space. U mean it wouldent sleep as in the move sleeper? thats wierd y not lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Yeh i was thinking that also @ start then i saw it was inside. Maybe if thay design a machine that sling shots the boomarang across space @ very hige speed maybe that would be awsome to try something new and see the end results?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Could be like a asteroid now? maybe we will see it someday or maybe it could accidently hit a space ship and break a hole in it i wonder how none of the dirt or asteroids in space never hit spaceships accidently or do thay never checked?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Well its kind of intresting because its something we use down on earth? and thay are trying it up in space

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You all don't understand this message at all.

Many have stated clearly that the crossover occurred.

Anyone care to tell me how a boomerang will return to its sender in space?

Gravity? Air pressure?

Will a helicopter fly in space if there is no gravity to give pull it down or would it shoot to the moon in theory because there is no vertical component restricting it.

The pale horse rode Friday and no one noticed it.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

I think it works only inside the space ship not outside in the actual space maybe?. because i wonder how it will come backits slow motion and slow motion i dont know its wierd because for a boomarang to come back it has to be thrown accurate and fast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join