It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth Hurts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neiby
EclipseReloaded, why are you focusing on an invasion scenario? That's not what the OP was talking about. Of course people would freak if they thought we were being invaded. That's entirely different than simply finding out that world governments have indeed been having diplomatic relations with alien races.

I'm not focusing on an invasion scenario...If presented, people would freak out at their very existence and overreact (as scared & confused people do) in numerous ways.

People could misinterpret alien behaviors as hostile and get defensive with disastrous results.

Everything afterwards would change for the worse for some time.

People's priorities would shift from goals of career, finding love, hobbies, etc. to trying to survive >food/water/travel/communications/defending yourself and loved ones from other scared shytless people, let alone aliens with unknown or masked intentions.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by EclipseReloaded]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I actually don't see the average person as being a big threat in such a situation. It makes no logical sense to go out and bonk a few people on the head with a baseball bat, smash a few shop windows and steal a plasma screen and a washing machine because aliens have arrived at earth.

I think the unavoidable problem will be the governments of the world and the military. Who will be the first to broker peace with the aliens? Will that country get special privileges or technology that others won't? Will it give that country an unfair advantage over the others... and so on.

If that doesn't send some paranoid countries to war, nothing will.

Paranoid illusions of technical disparity will certainly do it!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
No, it doesn't make sense to hit people and go looting, but in a time of uncertainty people act in strange ways. Some opportunist/criminals would see it as a field day to do whatever they want. Some people would just snap from stress over their everyday life routines/comfort zone being history or not getting enough x, y or z. Just rolling power blackouts incites destruction of property and looting...

Now imagine that aliens are here and their intentions have yet to be revealed. The military would ramp up their defenses to brace for whatever might be coming...this would be reported everywhere on the news, this perpetuates more anxiety, more fighting & hoarding of resources.

Short term and long term, everything would change for the worse.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe the military already knows what they are and know they aren't hostile. But knowing our evil government/military they would pose the whole thing as a threat even though it isn't and it would be their fault for causing public panic and chaos. I believe they could disclose the truth in a way that would cause minimal problems, but I doubt they will. Bastards...

Reason being is to protect the technology they've recovered from crashes. But I also believe they could keep that information classified and just say it's in the interest of national security while at the same time acknowledging the existence of ETs and UFOs.

[edit on 22-3-2008 by ufo reality]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join