It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth Hurts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I've been fascinated with the UFO phenomenon since I can remember... from the Steven Spielberg movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" to "Unsolved Mysteries" coverage of Roswell in the 80s to more recent mass sightings in Phoenix, AZ, Chicago 'O Hare Airport & Stephenville, TX. The fantastical occurences breed unbounding wonder and inquisition. Are they real? What's going on? What will happen?

From the increasingly numerous, reputable sightings, videos, photographs and dubious explanations from official sources, I've conclude that UFOs are real and from other distant star systems. To think that human beings are the only intelligent beings in all of the billions of galaxies in all "recorded time" is the definition of ignorance, denial and coverup by the various powers that be.

That said...I think I've come full circle in my ruminations on the subject of UFOs. Now believing what is logically true, I'm nearing the conclusion that the 60 year coverup just might be a good thing. Because, if full disclosure happened, EVERYTHING afterwards would change...for the worse, for a while. As evidenced in the Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" radio show, the public would panic. World governments would teeter totter between policy, mass perceptions and unknown dooms. Religious and financial institutions would collapse.

My point is, everything as you know it now would cease to exist. Utter chaos would tear any and all civility asunder. A battle of resources would be in flux for an indeterminate time. When such resources/things we can count on now are hijacked; forms of government, socialization and common courtesies, man would devolve to...I shutter to think.

In this light, as much as I would like to see a recovered UFO or alien being in a preserved suspended state in some underground facility in Nevada, Colorado or Utah...Ignorance is bliss, America as we know it now, despite its flaws, is bliss.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This parallels The Matrix movie...Reality or virtual reality.

So, do you take the red pill or the blue pill?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EclipseReloaded
I As evidenced in the Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" radio show, the public would panic. World governments would teeter totter between policy, mass perceptions and unknown dooms. Religious and financial institutions would collapse.

I respectfully disagree. Its a fatal flaw to compare the society that existed during the Orson Wells War of the worlds broadcast, and the society that exists now in 2008, even technologically speaking. Its a different reality, with a whole new generation of people with different belief systems. One cannot predict exactly what would or wouldn't happen today in the face of disclosure, and that it closer to the truth.

Latest polls show 80% of U.S. citizens believe in life elsewhere. This number was staggeringly lower in the 40's. You cannot ignore this fact in the face of your theory.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VisionQuest

Agreed. EclipseReloaded, I enjoyed your post. But times have changed. Most of society nowadays no longer believes the silly notion that we are alone in the universe. The only people that might not be able to handle disclosure are the hard core religious zealots who still cling to the adherence of us being the center of the universe. If anything, in these troubling times we live in, it might be a WELCOME sight to know that an advanced, intelligent race of beings is out there, since we are appearing to be on a road to self-destruction and chaos ourselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
True, today's society is far more amenable to the idea of life elsewhere...at least at the bacteria level. But, like the saying goes, those who fail to learn from history (Orson Welles/War of the Worlds/public hysteria) are doomed to repeat it.

Sure, everyone on the ATS website believes to a much fuller extent. A majority in a minority doesn't reflect the whole population. Your average person who represents the majority, have passing notions that life elsewhere is possible but still view the topic of UFOs/Alien visitation as ridiculous and not very likely. Probably because of the fantatstical concepts, denial & very successful 60 year coverup by our government and other world governments. Speak your mind on the subject and you can pick up your stigma from anyone in earshot. That aspect certainly hasn't changed since Roswell.

Full disclosure would render mass hysteria for the public no matter how sophisticated we think we are, no matter how "knowledgeable" we like to think we are: The fear of their existence, intentions and their ability to violate our "protected airspace" with impunity would scare anybody, regardless of their belief level. Religions/belief systems would be challenged. People would pull all of their money out of the banks and stock markets. Hoarding of resources would become a proliferating civil war for each country. I'm sure government studies have attested to these various scenarios...maybe an incremental disclosure/leak has been occuring or will occur.

A genuine dilemma...knowledge is power, power corrupts.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So real life has been reduced to an orsen wells move? Shows how the media influences our outlooks and crushes our hopes.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
So real life has been reduced to an orsen wells move? Shows how the media influences our outlooks and crushes our hopes.

No reduction...a reflection of reality then and still likely.

The War of the World radio broadcast by Orson Wells, even prefaced with a fictitious disclaimer, wrought mass hysteria. The public believed Earth was being invaded.

Even with all of our advances in communication, weaponry and beliefs, utter chaos would prevail for some time.

Think about it...say your very modern self is driving around in your hybrid car, chatting on your cell phone about the faltering economy and suddenly a breaking news alert flashes across your car's little TV screen that armadas of alien UFOs have invaded our country.

Now you have the undeniable truth flying past your car. What do you do? What can you do? Enjoy the view, wish for the best?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon

No reduction...a reflection of reality then and still likely.

The War of the World radio broadcast by Orson Wells, even prefaced with a fictitious disclaimer, wrought mass hysteria. The public believed Earth was being invaded.

Eclipse. I have found no evidence that the Orson Wells broadcast created mass hysteria. It may have panicked thousands, but thats hardly mass hysteria in the face of the billions who inhabited the planet at that time. Where were the riots and crumbling institutions that you speak of? Such talk is sensationalist, and non-factual.

Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...(radio)

"There is controversy about whether people panicked in the streets, and a series of urban legends have grown up around the production which suggest that major disturbances took place."

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
VisionQuest:

The Orson Wells radio broadcast is a microcosm of what happened when the public thought aliens were invading Earth. "Such talk" is a likely scenario.

To reiterate my point:

Think about it...say your very modern self is driving around in your hybrid car, chatting on your cell phone about the faltering economy and suddenly a breaking news alert flashes across your car's little TV screen that armadas of alien UFOs have invaded our country.

Now you have the undeniable truth flying past your car. What do you do? What can you do? Enjoy the view, wish for the best?

1) You'd first would try to call your family...You can't because all forms of communication are jammed for an indefininate time.

2) You'd try to drive to your loved ones or get home, etc....You can't because everyone else is too. Unprecedented traffic jams.

3) Rolling blackouts, power grids overwhelmed. Nightly rioting and looting on commercial and residential areas under the cover of darkness.

4) Resources hoarded and fought over...Got enough water? Food? How do you preserve your food if you don't live in a state like Alaska? Famine spreads in all countries for an indefinate time.

5) How successful would a Earthly war campaign be executed against an alien civilization(s) with far superior weapons, cloaking technology, shields & really agile craft?

6) Nuclear fallout if nuclear weapons were deployed in our defense.

7) Pollution everywhere.

8) Hospitals overwhelmed from casualties of war and citizens fighting each other for anything and nothing in an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty.

That's just off the top of my head.

For now, ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is peace.

How bad does everybody need to know? I agree with John Lear in his hypothetical Full Disclosure scenario. The masses don't need to know for now.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
EclipseReloaded, why are you focusing on an invasion scenario? That's not what the OP was talking about. Of course people would freak if they thought we were being invaded. That's entirely different than simply finding out that world governments have indeed been having diplomatic relations with alien races.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Good gawd, hallelujah, break out the champagne, finally, a solution has arrived to deal with human infestation problem upon this planet. Let the spraying begin!

Note to self: Keep a bottle of champagne in the car, just in case.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've given the subject a bit of thought over the years, and I've also vacillated back and forth on what the possible outcome would be if we suddenly found that there was alien life, either through government disclosure or through an undeniable public event (a huge flying saucer hovering over the Eiffel Tower for two weeks and resisting all attacks).

Lately, I've felt that even if the contact was completely benign, it would be a such a massive slam in the face to most people on Earth that I can't see anything particularly good happening as a result.

A large percentage of people would just have their minds go into overdrive and blown and never recover. Even if most people hang by the television for a couple of weeks, then slowly go back to work (you still have to live), there will be enough people who don't to really screw things up permanently.

Then, just when you think everything might have a chance to return to "normal," people will start forming organizations, as they tend to do. And the organizations will be both for and against everything from destroying every government and church on Earth, to committing suicide to ride to comet, to killing everybody on Earth for who even knows why. And then we'll begin the ride into total chaos and destruction.

Anyway, that's how I see it going at the moment. That's even without imagining that the aliens are here "To Serve Man."

Still, like every major disaster, it might be entertaining for a while. Until somebody killed me, or I ended up dead for some other stupid reason.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Well the aliens could always get complete obedience by offering cures for every disease and an end to the energy crisis, etc.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
Well the aliens could always get complete obedience by offering cures for every disease and an end to the energy crisis, etc.

So we'd sort of be like pets to them? Even in that wonderful, best case scenario, I know a lot of people just in this forum who would probably kill themselves rather than submit to that. Or just consider it to be a scam by the NWO and start blowing up buildings for spite. Some people won't just accept being pushed down to a lower branch on the evolutionary scale, or the food chain. Some people just won't be able to control their fears, real or imagined.

I think it was Mark Twain who said that man is the only animal who will actually resent you for trying to help them.

I could be wrong, though. I just have a low opinion of humanity in general at the moment.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I believe at first it would be difficult. But in the long run it would be a good thing for humanity. I believe it would humble us, and that's something I believe we need. We would finally know for sure that we're not only part of a global community but a universal community. We would know where we fit into this vast universe. I think they could figure out a way of disclosing the truth and cause minimal damage, chaos, panic, and disruption of our current way of life...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
I believe at first it would be difficult. But in the long run it would be a good thing for humanity. I believe it would humble us, and that's something I believe we need.

Yeah? Take us down a peg or two? Make us roll over and expose our bellies? Maybe make us do tricks or something? Bow down and pray to them and sacrifice our first borns to them?

Yeah, that might be good for us in the long run.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think until this situation plays out, that no one can be absolutely sure what will be the long term effects. It depends on numerous factors such as if the aliens are hostile or not, how they introduce themselves (millions at a time or a gradual incline over 100 years) and countless other things..

I believe that if somehow the world was introduced to alien existence through one small scale occurance, say a video that is completely undeniable, it would be huge at first but we could handle it. Like previously posted, 80% of US citizens believe they exist. So as long as the situation didnt involve a drastic change in their daily lives, many people would be in awe but continue with their day to day activities because there is nothing they can do about it. Sure there would be the few that break from society, but that is hard to do when you are raising and supporting a family like millions of people are.

However, if there was actually some type of full scale invasion then we are obviously doomed.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
No, nothing like that really nohup. Even if they are far more advanced than we are I wouldn't bow down to them. I don't believe they are (or would) want that anyway. I believe if they were hostile or arrogant they would have done us major harm by now. I think perhaps they're more advanced than we are in more ways than just technology. I mean humble in a good way, not in a roll over and die kinda way...

[edit on 21-3-2008 by ufo reality]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Have you ever thought that perhaps aliens are watching us but are very aware of the fact that they cant just reveal themselves to us because of the dire consequences that might happen? Maybe the only reason they would show their faces is to save us from utter destruction, say from a meteor or something worse, then the tables have turned havent they? Just wanted to throw that out there

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
I believe if they were hostile or arrogant they would have done us major harm by now. I think perhaps they're more advanced than we are in more ways than just technology.

If there are such things as aliens, they're sure puzzling. To me, still, they act more like time travelers who we catch glimpses of, but are smart enough to never quite leave enough evidence to nail them. If you can travel through time, you basically get to be flawless in that way, since you can always go back and correct your mistakes. Pick up that lost flying saucer hubcap.

Otherwise, if they are aliens, then I suspect they don't quite exist in the same reality in the same way we do. If we were told of their existence, but could still be convinced we're not in immediate danger from them, maybe we'd be okay. But we're a pretty cautious species. That's how we've been able to survive so well. It'd be hard to convince everybody that our new alien friends are totally cool and mean us no harm. That would be a hard sell.

I blame Rod Serling and all those other pulp science fiction writers. Oh, and the Bible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join