It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of you talk about having your own land....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I was just wondering...........

I have my own land but you won't find me here when Stix happens. Why you ask? Because once it happens the nice people that will take over would know where I live. This land is registered in my name. Why would I stay here?

It is my understanding that once this goes down FEMA will be able to take all personal property away, so you and I won't own anything. So why stay?

Why do so many of you think it would be wise to buy land now? There is plenty of opportunity to find a living situation in many parts of this country that you don't own. And you can go undetected for a long time. I think if you are wise you would find several different locations so you can move from time to time as needed.

Just my thoughts.......

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
To own or not to own real property...
I'm not sure what you are asking here entirely, but I will take a stab at it and maybe lend you some insight that I have learned.

First off, and the biggest motivator for most is this: You Own It. Which = Real Property,
something you can call "yours" for living in or on and pretty much doing with as you choose like any other tangible asset.
You can modify it to suit your needs (not wants) and make some changes to make it comfortable for you, or sell it off if you want... whether it is 100+ acres of undeveloped forest to a small house on the other side of town it is an investment in your future. Even if a sit-x never happens. Land will always be worth something.

Sure it is true that there are plenty of opportunities to rent or lease, fly around under radar so to speak... sign a 6 month lease here, move, 12 month lease here and submit a change of address... more contract signing... repeat and so on. I won't even get into the complexities of that here, but the amount of effort involved and the money expended could be better put to use without a landlord or property management breathing down your neck. Why not expend your own money and sweat equity for something that can be yours?

I seen the unfortunate side of it, at the beginning of every month when rent is due. I have had the unpleasureable experience of being a slumlord / property owner for the better part of ten years now, but I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse... albeit dismal sounding the thought of buying a run-down trailer park on an are of land outside city limits, yuck... but the thought of actually owning it was paramount. The payment for mortgage was a little more than it would have been if I was just renting a place, and in the meantime I have had the pleasure of doing my own repair work and learning new skills at the same time.

And here I am, in the process or remodeling the last decent living space to suit our needs, making it more energy efficient and liveable in the process, and spending my free time ripping out old junk mobile homes instead of watching the TV.
It's paid for, even if it is not much... it is something. Yeah, it's in my name... but I'm not worried, I seem to be pretty hard to catch up with most of the time anyway.

Originally posted by freedomataprice
It is my understanding that once this goes down FEMA will be able to take all personal property away, so you and I won't own anything. So why stay?

Why stay? Why not?
If it all goes down like that, yeah... what you are saying is called "imminent domain" and it applies to real property and more agencies than the FEDGOV and FEMA, going all the way down to sub levels of state local and municipal jurisdictions. They do that sorts of thing from time to time, take over property if your land sits where they are going to build a new freeway extension... et al, but if the poo really hits the fanblades, it will be hard to implement that on a major organized scale even if your name is on a list somewhere.

And yes, it is a good time to buy if it is within your means. Property values have been hyperinflated and overvalued for quite some time, now that the real-estate crunch is on the prices have leveled out to standard somewhat in most areas. Buy low, sell high.
Notice how many homes are up for sale? What we are seeing is only the beginning in downturn. Land is likely to follow in decreasing prices just from the lack of urban development and housing suburb sprawl.

That is my C02 thoughts anyways.

T-9

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Something becomes yours as you tend, improve upon, and make use of it.

Just as the nectarine becomes yours when you eat it... the nectarine tree becomes yours when you plant it.

I own land....

I own houses...

I plant a lot of trees on land I don't own.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You make a serious point for consideration.
It is true that we can be tracked by our property.
If you feel you are on the FEMA hit list then I would suggest that you have alternate properties as well.
However, I figure that FEMA only has so many employees, including but not limited to the N.G. and Reserves.
It is most probable that they will have their hands completely full dealing with the major cities to worry about the people in the outbacks. You may have to defend a time or two, but they just do not have the resources or man power to devote full time to the ones that are holed up on their own property. It would be wise however to get some gas masks for your family and pets now to avoid a possible unplanned surrender if and when they do head your way.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You do have a point, freedom....

If I didn't already own my land, I'd probably not be able to buy any now......It's gotten way too expensive.

If things get to the point where they come to take my land, I'll have to try and stand my ground, so to speak......I'm too old to start over, I'd not last very long if I 'headed for the hills'......

My blood sweat and tears have already gone into this place, if they kill me here, I'll haunt it for eternity!

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well I do own my land right now so no need to buy. And I have good reason to believe I am on a list. Which one I don't know, all I know is that I have given up air travel because of the issues I have. i.e. searched before every flight to the extent that I miss flights. My children being asked if they want to fly with me and asked if they are in fear in any way by being with me!!!!

So yep a hidding I will go.

Thanks for all the replys.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
My land, someone else's land, it won't matter if they truly want to take it. As long as it's my land though, I can do as I please on it within the limits of the State laws, Federal laws, housing codes, county codes, etc. LOL

A person should do what they feel most comfortable doing. I own my property, but honestly it's a pain in the butt sometimes. Taxes, repairs, insurance, etc.. It all goes along with the package.

Renting is just as bad in some way as well. You never know when you'll be asked to leave, who your neighbors might end up being, or if you'll ever get that leaky faucet repaired or that slow drain fixed, ad infinitum.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
If you buy land , it must be far away from towns in order to insure that someone does not try to steal it for developemnt purposes. Also check zoning laws, most people want land so they can have little farms with chickens, goats, pigs ,and sheep. Zoning laws can take that dream away. If you are afraid of fema make sure the farm is in a place where the roads freeze during the winter.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
For those of us in the UK and wanting a plot of land to farm, go check out the 'allotment pages' on your council websites...here in w. yorkshire they're anything from £10 upwards PER YEAR in rent and will get you a enough of a plot to feed a family of 4 if managed right

Edit to add: allotments are protected by law and can't be steamrollered by corporate developers under the 1922 Allotments Act

[edit on 21-3-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am the nectarine tree.

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Something becomes yours as you tend, improve upon, and make use of it.

Just as the nectarine becomes yours when you eat it... the nectarine tree becomes yours when you plant it.

Very moving, you stole the flavor right out of my mouth. Just like the only thing constant is change...

Yeah, P&Z (planning and zoning) is always a pain in the rear when it comes to doing things a different way, code this.. code that and yada.
Just like when you decide to vent your dryer inside in winter months to retain some lost heat and humidity for comfort sake, or just punching some holes in the walls to hang to passive solar heating in a few rooms... yeah, if they only knew.

Owning does end up being a chore in the long-term, but it is some form of freedom... and liberating knowing you reap what you sow. Either way, Lloyd hit the nail on the head with his post... and they will take it if they need to, regardless.

A slice of advice,
get to know your surroundings and always prepare for the worst and strive for the best in what you have available. You never know, you might end up some where in mexico..

and in closing, you may ask yourself one question:
Do you work to live, or live to work?

I strive for,
Simpler Times...

T-

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

So you're the nut job whose been planting an invasive, non-native species of plant/tree where it's not supposed to grow crowding out native flora?!

We're watching you now! Earth First has been notified and your efforts will be for nought.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx

So you're the nut job whose been planting an invasive, non-native species of plant/tree where it's not supposed to grow crowding out native flora?!

We're watching you now! Earth First has been notified and your efforts will be for nought.

[sarcasm]
Well, I guess that would mean all "tree huggers" and environmentally conscientious all have an agenda right?
[/sarcasm off]

This world, well... it's all what you make of it....

back on track,
T-

new topics

top topics

join