It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quest in spirituality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I am currently in what you could say was a quest for spirituality. Perhaps I should say that I do not question my faith but I only desire a closer relationship with my God. As part of my enlightenment or the current direction God has me travelling I am faced with the task of increasing my knowledge and thus my wisdom of other religions, faiths, and beliefs. For those that have studied in these areas I am asking for some insight and/or direction for my studies. Currently I am personally meeting with individuals of various faiths to discuss and learn about their faith as well as the individual doctrines that they believe in. This has taken my research into various directions including the comparison of religeous texts and their origins. I find this a challenge as there is much written knowledge on the subject and I was hoping I could get some suggestions on which way to proceed with this research or perhaps add some insight or direction to my studies that has not been revealed to me yet.

Thanks for your help

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by photobug

What route are you taking now? Or rather...which steps are you delving into, to enlighten yourself?

Talk with me.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
When did this start for you?

I've been interested in comparitive religion (for personal reasons) for most of my life, but since the new year, I've been quite literally "obsessed". I cannot learn enough about ancient civilizations/religions. I seem to be seeking that "ring of truth". I think I'm on to it. I've even changed my Sunday venue. The one thing I have felt the most has been the feeling of bringing things back to basics. I've left the Episcopal church (still love the faith) and have started attending a house church that welcome thought, reflection, and differences in opinion, aptly called "Journey"

I also am trying to gain skills in self-sufficiency.

I feel like I need all this information (and you are right ther is a lot there!!) as preparation for something that I cannot name.

Have you visited the "waiting for something" forum topic?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

What route are you taking now? Or rather...which steps are you delving into, to enlighten yourself?

Talk with me.

~Ducky~

for the majority of my life I have had an unfaltering faith however I allowed myself to put my spirituality aside because I was trying to conform to a role my verbally abusive spouse expected me to be. Not to get into the abuse issues but over the last two years I have been struggling to break free of that. As a result I have been rising above that and finding myself again. I have always known that God has or had something special in store for me and now after many years my faith and spitituality are beginning to soar again. For me it is a very natural process and I am freely allowing God to lead me. The marvelous thing about my journey is the ease of my transition. Over the last many years I have always maintained a relatively stable relationship with God although I did not allow it to manifest outwardly. It becomes rather difficult to explain what is inside me as I search for a reason or a path towards Gods plan for me. What I do know is that he is leading me and although I have generalized thoughts of what his plan may be all I know for sure is that my mind and my soul know that what I am going through right now has been planned from the begginning and is part of my spiritual growth.

At one point in my life i asked God to grant me wisdom. He granted me this request but what I learned from it is that although he may have given me wisdom there is two parts to wisdom and that is the wisdom itself but more importantly the ability to put that wisdom to use for his will.

It seems that no matter which way I turn my studies always lead towards the teachings of the book of revalations. As many read various parts of the bible and try to have an understanding of various parts of it, my studies never take me there, becasue the majority of Gods teachings come naturally to me. I may not be able to debate the bible nor can I quote a lot of scipture but that to me is unimportant becauase of my inner understandings.

Currently my studies are taking me on a journey to understand the various beliefs and doctrines of various religions. Becasue of some previous experiances and visions God has shown me I tend to feel that God is trying to grant me the wisdom and the knowledge of all the deceptions Satan is involved in. For what purpose I do not yet know.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by enigma77
When did this start for you?

I've been interested in comparitive religion (for personal reasons) for most of my life, but since the new year, I've been quite literally "obsessed". I cannot learn enough about ancient civilizations/religions. I seem to be seeking that "ring of truth". I think I'm on to it. I've even changed my Sunday venue. The one thing I have felt the most has been the feeling of bringing things back to basics. I've left the Episcopal church (still love the faith) and have started attending a house church that welcome thought, reflection, and differences in opinion, aptly called "Journey"

I also am trying to gain skills in self-sufficiency.

I feel like I need all this information (and you are right ther is a lot there!!) as preparation for something that I cannot name.

Have you visited the "waiting for something" forum topic?

Like you it has been a prominant part of my life since the new year. I wonder if there are others that have faith but have been experiancing an awakening since the new year.

I have not seen the thread called "waiting for something" can you post a link? I have a hard enough time keeping up with daily posts and very rarely take the time to look beyond or research ATS beyond the current week.

Please define what you mean by "the Ring of truth"

I to am very interested in self sufficiency and feel that it has a lot to do with Gods plan for me. I have been an outdoors type most of my life camping, hiking etc. My times spent outdoors are generally alone for those are the times I am closest with God and can bask in his creations. He never fails to show me something beautiful or delight me with some simple thing, for in those things I can see and feel his presence.

I was raised Luthern, non denominational and then Baptist, Currently I have no church home as I have been dis-illusioned with organized religion for quite a while and also because for some reason this is an aspect of my life that I have a hard time sharing with my wife. I am familiar with the episcopal religion as my two girls are enrolled in a private school at our local church. They give my children a very strong belief and foundation. I have been to services there many times but find them cold, ritualistic and lacking in spirit. The feelings I get there are very similar to the ones I have gotten visiting catholic churches but not nearly as strong. I can't really explain this and I hate to use the word negative feelings, maybe a better way would be to say I feel that I do not belong in a catholic church or maybe I feel that there is no presence of God there. There are many great individuals in my girls church and I see the lord in many of them I just don't feel it as a whole.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

It seems that no matter which way I turn my studies always lead towards the teachings of the book of revalations

Is it possible, that you were drawn to 'Revelations', because you were looking for perhaps some kind of closure, or 'big picture' to your relationship? Just curious.

Why did you feel drawn to this part of the bible?

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
no, it doesn't have anything to do with my relationship issues it has been a part of my life always. I am not drawn to that part of the bible I am led there.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by photobug

Like you it has been a prominant part of my life since the new year. I wonder if there are others that have faith but have been experiancing an awakening since the new year.

I have not seen the thread called "waiting for something" can you post a link? I have a hard enough time keeping up with daily posts and very rarely take the time to look beyond or research ATS beyond the current week.

A feeling like you are waiting for something??? link

Please define what you mean by "the Ring of truth"

I guess the best way I can explain it has to do with discernment. You know how you know right from wrong instinctively or intuitively? Its like that. Certain things "ring" true and others do not. I do not mean ring like an object, but like an announcement. From www.merriam-webster.com...:

ring [3,verb] 5: to have a sound or character expressive of some quality
Does that make sense?

I to am very interested in self sufficiency and feel that it has a lot to do with Gods plan for me. I have been an outdoors type most of my life camping, hiking etc. My times spent outdoors are generally alone for those are the times I am closest with God and can bask in his creations. He never fails to show me something beautiful or delight me with some simple thing, for in those things I can see and feel his presence.

How true for me as well! I studied to be a wildlife biologist and received a degree in Natural resource Conservation. I don't work directly with wildlife anymore, but I work as a groundwater technician (reduce pollution risk on farms) and as a resource recovery coordinator - solid waste management/recycling and pollution prevention programs.

I also feel my best amongst trees... lots and lots of trees. I sometimes wonder if I was a wood nymph or other kind of tree spirit in a previous life. lol

I was raised Luthern, non denominational and then Baptist, Currently I have no church home as I have been dis-illusioned with organized religion for quite a while and also because for some reason this is an aspect of my life that I have a hard time sharing with my wife. I am familiar with the episcopal religion as my two girls are enrolled in a private school at our local church. They give my children a very strong belief and foundation. I have been to services there many times but find them cold, ritualistic and lacking in spirit. The feelings I get there are very similar to the ones I have gotten visiting catholic churches but not nearly as strong. I can't really explain this and I hate to use the word negative feelings, maybe a better way would be to say I feel that I do not belong in a catholic church or maybe I feel that there is no presence of God there. There are many great individuals in my girls church and I see the lord in many of them I just don't feel it as a whole.

It is not suprising it felt like a Catholic church to you... the Episcopal church is Catholic in origin... broke of from the Roman Catholic church with King Henry VIII and became Anglo-Catholic. Check out the Wiki article that explain the US Episcopal church a bit better: en.wikipedia.org... BTW the Episcopal church is NOT a protestant church... there are differences (not knocking protestants, just pointing something out).

It may have been the church you went to. I grew up around one that I would go to now if it wasn't too far away. I still consider the priest there to be my priest, even when we elsewhere. Maybe its because he Baptised me and married my hubby and I. Mostly it is because I know

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

CONTINUED>>>

his spirit. I found something much different it the Episcopal church that I have been going to for the past five years. I recently found out that the Priest did not become a Priest because of a "calling" (unlike MY Priest). He grew up around church because of his mom being an organist and decided in college that he could, and I quote, "do this or do that". I had been feeling the services to be spiritually lacking for some time, and know I know why.

I used to get very emotional with communion. I never really did at the rescent church I was going to. Now, with the new "church", we had communion on Sunday evening and I cried. I was "full" again and it felt so good!

I like the Episcopal faith because of the beliefs and open-mindness (women Priest, the homosexuality thing - i.e. tolerance - Love thy neighbor...) Yes, I am a liberal, mostly. I did find the ritualistic part of it comforting, as I never went on a regular basis (church going does not = spirtualness)and I always knew what to expect - heck, I have it memorized. lol I've never been a big fan of organized religion.

Where we are going now is much different and I love it. Check it out: The Journey

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Firstly we don't call our church an organized religion (I am catholic), we call it the bride of Christ which existed since the beggining..

I must say to the original poster, you are not supposed to go to a service at church for a boost or something to make you feel good, we should go out of love for God whether he grants us fealings or not...

Some people go to satisfy their senses yet don't accept Gods will that he might withold those sense to see if you remain faithful without those fealings...

Go to the true Latin mass, that is a real mass and you will feal like you are in heaven there, but it must be traditional...

" Satan is invloved in "

from this qoute I take it that you believe in the Christian Satan?

Go to eucharistic miracles in a google search and learn about some of the most amazing miracles that have taken place concerning communion over 1500 years ago...

As for the new awakening in 2008...

God is preparing many saints right now because his chastisement is coming soon to cleanse the earth of evil and make a rebirth of the world and the church...

So many souls are being awakened now because the time is short...

I made a post about antichrists prophecies which should explain alittle of this in there.

peace.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I was asking questions about life as early as 6,7 and 8 years old. Believe it or not. I remember asking questions like:

1. Why can't we live forever?
2. What is it like to 'die'?
3. Why do people fight each other?
4. What happens when we die?
5. Who is God...where does he live?
6. Do I have a 'special' purpose on this earth too?
7. If Jesus died and 'rose again', and we celebrate Easer, why do we call it 'Good Friday'? He died...death is bad right?
8. Will people wear clothes in heaven? Will they be naked?
9. If my kitty is good, will he go to heaven too?

Laugh if you will...these were questions that I asked when I was that age.

When I hit my teens...the Q & A's got a bit deeper.

1. "Mom...I heard about this place called 'Area 51', and there were supposedly aliens involved, and a ship crashed, and and and..."
2. What is reincarnation?
3. What is a 'soul'...is it the same as a 'spirit' or 'ghost' or another dimension?
4. Why do I question 'life'. What is the real purpose to our existance?
5. Why are there still wars? For what purpose do they serve?
6. "Mom...when I decide to get married...will you love him too?"
7. "Mom...it's time for me to graduate highschool...will you be proud of me...no matter what job I get?"

Then my 20's and 30's hit.

1. "What will I name my first child? Will he fit into this world, no matter what?"
2. I wonder if I can save up enough money...would I be able to visit ALL those 'mysterious places' that I read about?
3. "Father in heaven...do you exist"?
4. "Where will I turn to find Guidance (besides friends/family/etc)...What is the TRUTH?"
5. Why are there so many variations of the Good Book? Something is wrong here...I sense it.
6. There is more UFO propanda happening...What is real....what is false?
7. Am I on the right path?

Now I'm 41.

The funny thing is....I'm still asking these same questions, as I'm sure alot of you are.

Hopefully, we can come together with peaceful spirits, and talk about these things in a positive light.

Where I lack in knowledge...therefore...you are. And therefor you will be to guide US.

~Ducky~

[edit on 11-4-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Firstly we don't call our church an organized religion (I am catholic), we call it the bride of Christ which existed since the beggining..

Perhaps you don't call it "organized", but you must admit that it is.

The Roman (I assume you mean Roman and not Orthodox nor Anglo) Catholic Church is not the only institutionalized church to consider itself to be "the Bride of Christ".

I think the "Bride" is made up of ALL the true believers and followers of Christ's teachings.

As far as having existed "from the begining"... "catholic" yes, "Catholic" no. Again, the Catholic church (note the capitalization) is not the only church to claim this. Check out this site and see: LINK

The fact that we still dwell on who was "first" and who is "right" instead of dwelling on living the WORD, is, IMHO, sad. BTW, I am not immune to this. I try to be aware of when I am being judgemental about such things, but when you believe something, it is hard not to... well, you know.

PS. I respect you beliefs and opinions, I just don't necessarily share them.

peace

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Photobug,
Many of us are in the same place you are. The world is full of differing opinions, belief systems, religions, philosophies etc. I found reading books in modern physics to be quite enlightening. Helps me get a better grasp of the reality I find myself in and so in that sense I feel closer to the creator. A great book to pickup is Kaku's Hypers pace.
Just my 2 cents... good luck!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Great posts guys and girls. Keep up the good work I will post a longer response when I have a few moments.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I look forward to your reply.

I hope that no matter what all our different beliefs are that we can attempt to converse in a way that is not negative. I certainly have no desire to offend anyone, although I can admit to being opionated at time.

Cheers all

new topics

top topics

join