It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Comcast Cameras To Start Watching You?'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is as creepy and 1984ish as it gets.
I dont have Comcast,but for those who do,does this concern you?
And do you think this will become the 'norm' for cable companies in the future?
No wonder the got rid of all anttena service.

(Newteevee.com)-If you have some tinfoil handy, now might be a good time to fashion a hat. At the Digital Living Room conference today, Gerard Kunkel, Comcast’s senior VP of user experience, told me the cable company is experimenting with different camera technologies built into devices so it can know who’s in your living room.

The idea being that if you turn on your cable box, it recognizes you and pulls up shows already in your profile or makes recommendations. If parents are watching TV with their children, for example, parental controls could appear to block certain content from appearing on the screen. Kunkel also said this type of monitoring is the “holy grail” because it could help serve up specifically tailored ads. Yikes.

newteevee.com...

Full story here
newteevee.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
OK if this is something they actually want to develop, or have developed but want to install...that is BS!!!!

Now I think we have to find out...is this going to be placed in ALL systems, or will this be an option for people who for whatever reason find this to be neat to have???

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Makes me want to get a life size cut out of my back side so the only thing they will see is me mooning the television.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
this is why we have internet TV and Movies..... lol

comcast still charges what most charge to rent a physical DVD, fo-get- that.

Comcast can keep knocking but they cant come in.....

Why not make Tv all online so people could pay a monthly fee to stream their favorite tv shows or movies to their computer an watch at their leisure oh wait, that would mean they lose out on ad revenue and cant interupt your broadcast for the following useless announcement.

I like the life size cardboard cutout. MOON em all the way ..

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This discussion was started yesterday on the post listed below...
HAHA, and it has the exact same title.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WalkOn

I wasnt aware of that.
Apologies.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No worries, Just thought I'd help point people over there as it's already up to two pages worth...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I suspect that if or when this technology is offered, it will be at a premium and people will gladly pay for the feature, so that they can passively filter content and have their favorite shows served up with minimal effort.

I have Comcast and their service is fine, both internet and cable TV, but God help you if you ever need Customer Service.

They have somehow cornered the market on most of the idiots on the planet.

new topics

top topics

join